PDA

View Full Version : Tidbit from ESPN

ge1974
08-28-2013, 06:30 AM
From Andy Katz below. My guess is DePaul is our rival for the final weekend.

The Big East confirmed that its conference schedule will be released next week. The old Big East was always one of the last conferences to release its schedule because of so may pro arenas in the conference. That hasn't changed with Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, Villanova and Georgetown all dealing with other tenants. The three new schools -- Butler, Creighton and Xavier -- have the most control over dates in their arenas. The conference is hoping to build rivalries and will protect one rivalry for the final weekend of the regular season. But the conference wouldn't say which one until the schedule is finalized. The teams haven't been notified yet of which rivalry was protected for the final weekend of the regular season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87680/3-point-shot-unlv-takes-another-offseason-hit

MayorBeluga
08-28-2013, 08:09 AM
There are only a few obvious rivalries, so my guess is that the others are kind of forced together. My best guess:

1. Marquette - DePaul
2. Georgetown - Villanova (maybe G'town - SJU for tv purposes, but the 1985 NCAA title game gives Nova the edge)
3. St. John's - Seton Hall
4. Bulter - Xavier (2 newbies, relatively close geograpihically)
5. Creighton - Providence (and there's your leftovers)

If the conference expands by adding SLU and someone else (Richmond? VCU), then make it Creighton - SLU and Providence - other newbie.

MUBasketball
08-28-2013, 08:16 AM
There are only a few obvious rivalries, so my guess is that the others are kind of forced together. My best guess:

1. Marquette - DePaul
2. Georgetown - Villanova (maybe G'town - SJU for tv purposes, but the 1985 NCAA title game gives Nova the edge)
3. St. John's - Seton Hall
4. Bulter - Xavier (2 newbies, relatively close geograpihically)
5. Creighton - Providence (and there's your leftovers)

What you're saying makes sense...but I wonder if they will base the rivalries on geography. Maybe something more like this:

Georgetown - Villanova
St. John's - Seton Hall
Providence - Xavier
Butler - DePaul
Marquette - Creighton

Makes a bit more sense geographically, but maybe it's really no difference between Providence/Xavier or Providence/Creighton -- not close to each other regardless. I just have a hunch Creighton will be grouped with Marquette or DePaul to make it as geographically pleasing as possible.

GOMU1104
08-28-2013, 08:30 AM
I would like to be matched with Butler or Creighton.

MUMac
08-28-2013, 08:32 AM
What you're saying makes sense...but I wonder if they will base the rivalries on geography. Maybe something more like this:

Georgetown - Villanova
St. John's - Seton Hall
Providence - Xavier
Butler - DePaul
Marquette - Creighton

Makes a bit more sense geographically, but maybe it's really no difference between Providence/Xavier or Providence/Creighton -- not close to each other regardless. I just have a hunch Creighton will be grouped with Marquette or DePaul to make it as geographically pleasing as possible.

I tend to think MU will be either lumped with Creighton or Butler. The kick off game with Creighton makes that a likely possibility. I could also see playing off of the two games MU/Butler had last year as another possibility. The historic choice, though, is DePaul.

ValiantSailor
08-28-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't think all rivalries are geographic. In last year's BE, Georgetown - Syracuse would have been a no-brainer, passing over several closer schools. I could easily see us being paired with any of the mid-western schools or with Georgetown, and I would probably put DePaul at the bottom of that list, behind Creighton, Butler, Xavier, and Georgetown.. In fact, when the pairings are complete, DePaul - Providence might be the "leftover" game.

VS

Goose85
08-28-2013, 09:15 AM
This would be my preference.

"Rivalry Week" - Middle of the season.
Have games throughout the week, then some could actually play 2 "rivalry" games in the week. Tuesday night "Rivalry Week" kicks off with MU v. Creighton / G-Town v. Vill. On Sat "Rivalry Week" concludes with G-Town v. St. John's.

Last Weekend of the Seson - Try to match up schools likely to be battling for the top spot.
This year it would be G-Town v. Creighton / MU v. St. John's / Villanova v Xavier / Providence v. Butler / Seton Hall v. DePaul.
Good chance the winner of one of those first two games listed might clinch the regular season title on that final Saturday.

MUBasketball
08-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't think all rivalries are geographic. In last year's BE, Georgetown - Syracuse would have been a no-brainer, passing over several closer schools.

VS

Sure, but Syracuse and Georgetown I consider to be close geographically. I'm saying I think maybe the Big East would avoid trying to create Creighton & Providence as main rivals when they are the two schools farthest away from each other. But one of the eastern schools will be paired with a school quite a ways away regardless.

MU/Panther
08-28-2013, 11:56 AM
I hate the fact that schedules come out in September. This needs to be done in mid-August by the latest point. It hard to sell mini-plans to people, when the dates are not out.

MU88
08-28-2013, 01:30 PM
You have 5 west coast and 5 east coast schools. I think its possible Marquette could play Georgetown. Two Jesuit universities, both expected to be at the top of the conference. Plus, it would be a good game for FS1 to plug as the marque game of the event. Alternatively, Creighton or DePaul would be logical rivals for MU in this kind of matchup or they could play each other. I think X plays Butler. They have been in 2 conferences together and are relatively close geographically. All of the east coast schools are close, with SHU and SJU being the closest to each other.

MUBasketball
08-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Ultimately I think the whole idea is foolish. It's a 10 team league and a complete round robin schedule. How can the league "force" rivalries. If every team played each other once and only 1 team twice and those mirror opponents are what the league is considering, ok. But everybody plays everybody twice so what's it matter who they "pair up" (whatever that means)? Based on when the games are played? What's it matter?

And the league shouldn't lock itself into season ending games based on their rivalry opinions. Going into every season, matchup final games with teams expected to be finishing around the same spots in conference. Inexact science, but for the most part will have picked properly come the end of the season most years.

ValiantSailor
08-30-2013, 07:58 AM
The first component of a rivalry is uncertainty. Who will win? If everyone other than die hard fans pick one team to win, it isn't a rivalry. It's just another game on the schedule.

Our "rivalry" game this year should be against one of the projected leaders of the conference, i.e., someone other than DePaul.

Rivalries change. Once, DePaul - Marquette would have been the game of the week. Not now.

VS

MUMac
08-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Ultimately I think the whole idea is foolish. It's a 10 team league and a complete round robin schedule. How can the league "force" rivalries. If every team played each other once and only 1 team twice and those mirror opponents are what the league is considering, ok. But everybody plays everybody twice so what's it matter who they "pair up" (whatever that means)? Based on when the games are played? What's it matter?

And the league shouldn't lock itself into season ending games based on their rivalry opinions. Going into every season, matchup final games with teams expected to be finishing around the same spots in conference. Inexact science, but for the most part will have picked properly come the end of the season most years.

Man, you really get on anything this league does. Constant complaining gets old. Nothing is satisfactory for you. When they do not do any marketing, they are bad. When they do, they are foolish. This is all about TV and marketing. Not about you, the fans in attendance ... Nothing, though, will be good enough for you with this league, I guess.

MUBasketball
08-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Man, you really get on anything this league does. Constant complaining gets old. Nothing is satisfactory for you. When they do not do any marketing, they are bad. When they do, they are foolish. This is all about TV and marketing. Not about you, the fans in attendance ... Nothing, though, will be good enough for you with this league, I guess.

Wow...you dont know me at all.

My point was am I misunderstanding what the league is trying to do? Its a round robin schedule so I dont get how they can "control" who are rivals or even try to establish rivalries. Simply by when the games are played? Like we're trying to figure out who Fox is going to match up as rivals but its a 100% even schedule so I dont know why it matters. Like the old BE there was suspense with who the 3 mirror opponents would be each year, but dont have to worry about that now.

Understand now? I'm not at all complaining.

Goose85
08-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Taking a page out of ESPN's book that must be working. ESPN has had a "rivalry week" for awhile. It doesn't mean every game played in the ACC or old Big East was a rivalry, but it did mean Duke v. UNC, Syracuse v. Georgetown type game, etc.

Almost every week in college football seems to have some type of "... week" attached to it. It must sell or they wouldn't do it.

Rivalry week, to those who don't follow the teams closely, indicates the games played should be more intense than your normal conference game.
If they are or aren't it really doesn't matter, they are trying to drum up interest / find ways to promote a set of games.
We are hoping Fox is as good or better than ESPN at promoting the conference.

If you were not a fan of a Big East team, would you be more apt to pay attention to adds that called a slate of games Rivalry Week, or Week 18?

MinnesotaJeb
08-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Last Weekend of the Seson - Try to match up schools likely to be battling for the top spot.
This year it would be G-Town v. Creighton / MU v. St. John's / Villanova v Xavier / Providence v. Butler / Seton Hall v. DePaul.
Good chance the winner of one of those first two games listed might clinch the regular season title on that final Saturday.

Sounds like a good plan.

It's obviously hard to guess the future, but I have a sense we might develop a strong rivalry with St. John's, similar to our Louisville rivalry, given the high-end recruits Lavin has been attracting and their take-no-prisoners attitude.

MUBasketball
08-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Here's clarification...now it makes sense.

UPDATE - 8/29 (6:00pm):*New Big East media relations chief John Paquette has clarified to VUhoops that the end-of-season rivalry games will change from year-to-year. So, even if Villanova closes the 2013-14 season with Seton Hall this year, they could be scheduled for Georgetown next season."[T]hat does not mean every team will have one rival -- or the same rival -- on the last day of the season," Paquette explained.In effect, the Big East has only decided to make the last day of the regular season a rivalry for each school. Which rival a school will play, however, can change on a yearly basis.

TheSultan
08-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Here's clarification...now it makes sense.

UPDATE - 8/29 (6:00pm):*New Big East media relations chief John Paquette has clarified to VUhoops that the end-of-season rivalry games will change from year-to-year. So, even if Villanova closes the 2013-14 season with Seton Hall this year, they could be scheduled for Georgetown next season."[T]hat does not mean every team will have one rival -- or the same rival -- on the last day of the season," Paquette explained.In effect, the Big East has only decided to make the last day of the regular season a rivalry for each school. Which rival a school will play, however, can change on a yearly basis.

Fox is trying to find different ways to market the basketball league. This is a good thing. Even if things don't work out, or sound corny, at least they are trying.

MUMac
08-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Fox is trying to find different ways to market the basketball league. This is a good thing. Even if things don't work out, or sound corny, at least they are trying.

Ding, ding, ding, ding. That is how I viewed it from the very beginning. I love that the BE is affiliated with Fox. They will market the heck out of this and they know how to market. A proven track record. This will be, as Goose85 said above, marketed like ESPN does on Rivalry Week.

ValiantSailor
08-30-2013, 08:45 PM
So the "Rivalry" is simply the last game of the season? And this is a creative new marketing concept?

Wow! :confused:

VS

MUMac
08-30-2013, 08:57 PM
So the "Rivalry" is simply the last game of the season? And this is a creative new marketing concept?

Wow! :confused:

VS

Creative? New? Nope. But having Fox Sports trying to market the Big East is a bad thing? Come on guys, it is an attempt to put the league's final games in a spotlight. So we complain and complain? Damn, there certainly is a lot of crotchety people on this board.

TheSultan
08-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Creative? New? Nope. But having Fox Sports trying to market the Big East is a bad thing? Come on guys, it is an attempt to put the league's final games in a spotlight. So we complain and complain? Damn, there certainly is a lot of crotchety people on this board.

Exactly. They are going to try to drum up audiences for these games. For those complaining....what are your ideas?

ValiantSailor
08-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Exactly. They are going to try to drum up audiences for these games. For those complaining....what are your ideas?

Not complaining, just confused. What's the difference between what's being proposed by FS1 and any last conference game of a season?

VS

kneelb4zerg
08-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Not complaining, just confused. What's the difference between what's being proposed by FS1 and any last conference game of a season?

VS
There is no difference, except they are trying to draw attention to it. It's called "marketing"

MUMac
08-31-2013, 07:53 AM
There is no difference, except they are trying to draw attention to it. It's called "marketing"

Correct. And I see that as good for the Big East. Marketing the last game of the season and putting the Big East in the spotlight is not a bad thing, IMHO.

ValiantSailor
08-31-2013, 08:12 AM

Hey...I'm a Mac guy...I KNOW what marketing is! :) The marketing of the Big East - (BTW, it's not the New Big East, or NBE. We really should get away from that term. Our schools fought hard for the name; we shouldn't diminish their efforts, regardless of how ESPN refers to us.) - should describe something unique, different, or better. Pointing out the final conference game, that's going to change annually, doesn't do much for me - it's the same as every other school.

VS

MUMac
08-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Hey...I'm a Mac guy...I KNOW what marketing is! :) The marketing of the Big East - (BTW, it's not the New Big East, or NBE. We really should get away from that term. Our schools fought hard for the name; we shouldn't diminish their efforts, regardless of how ESPN refers to us.) - should describe something unique, different, or better. Pointing out the final conference game, that's going to change annually, doesn't do much for me - it's the same as every other school.

VS

You are not the target market. The last game is not the target point. It is about driving up viewership and interest in the last game. That will, hopefully, drum up interest and viewership in the other games. It is not intended for the die hard fans of the various teams. They will be there or watch anyway.

Now, if this is the only marketing that FS1 does with the Big East your concern is valid. It is part of a larger marketing plan, I am sure.

beerhere6
09-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Casual Hoya‏@CasualHoya6m
Per ESPN, Georgetown will face Villanova in Philadelphia in the final game of the season. Full schedule released today

Phantom Warrior
09-05-2013, 06:42 AM
I think GTown versus Nova is the smart rivalry to push since both have been playing each other for decades in the Big East and both have been very successful over the past 10-12 years. Plus, both are likely to make the Dance this year.

I'm guessing we end up playing Creighton in our final game of the regular season as both teams are likely to challenge for the league championship this year and both could end up ranked in the Top 20-25.

I would also have Providence play St. John's, Xavier play Butler, and DePaul play SHU.

Those are my guesses.

MU Viking
09-05-2013, 07:05 AM
I think those are great guesses PW. MU v Creighton makes senses from a Midwest and strength standpoint. PC v STJ = traditional BE matchup. Xavier and Butler are small schools geographically very close both coming from the A10. DePaul and SH are frankly likely the dregs of the conference this year.

ge1974
09-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Remember the good old days when we could maneuver around the Big East's webpage and get to the schedule prior to it being released by the league? Unfortunatley, that won't be done today as the Big East still doesn't have a web site.

IWB
09-05-2013, 07:54 AM
I remember getting b-slapped for that one.

ge1974
09-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Sorry about that IWB!

The Big East schedule will come out today at 2pm EDT, 1pm CDT.

Halo
09-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Casual Hoya‏@CasualHoya6m
Per ESPN, Georgetown will face Villanova in Philadelphia in the final game of the season. Full schedule released today

I wouldn't be happy with this if I am Fox. ESPN shouldn't be breaking anything on this schedule or the BE before Fox. Makes Fox look secondary, even when they have the rights over ESPN.

Goose85
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Would have been a nice time to have the website up and rolling. Instead I'm sure people will go to ESPN.com to get the schedule.