PDA

View Full Version : Article and Video on Mickey Crowe

jpvegas52
08-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Here's links to article and videos on Mickey Crowe, an author is writing a book about his life. i remember reading about his scoring and was amazed at the number of points he put up in his high school games and wondering if he could continue this in college.

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/videonetwork/2626900240001?odyssey=mod|tvideo2|article
http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20130826/SHE02/308260154/Gannett-reporter-writes-book-Mickey-Crowe?nclick_check=1

MUMac
08-27-2013, 12:53 PM
He was the reason WISAA went to two divisions. JFK Prep was in the same Regional as Pennings and Premontre. They could not get past Pennings in his Sophomore or Junior seasons and WISAA desperately wanted hm at the Arena. They could smell a sell out. His Senior Year he made it to Milwaukee and WISAA was not disappointed with the crowd.

He was fun to watch play. Shaggy socks, shaggy hair. Really did try to mimic Pistol Pete. Including, I guess, his dad Marty playing the roll of Press as the HC. Marty was one of a kind himself.

Nukem2
08-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Saw Mickey play in that WISAA tourney. He was quite a show. Would have been interesting how he would have developed playing for a good coach in a more structured situation. Marty was half his problem.....

Gato78
08-27-2013, 01:12 PM
He was schizophrenic. He would have washed out no matter what. In some respects, he was lucky to have his father coaching him. Steve Novak's dad played with Mickey in high school though Mike Novak was one or two years older.

Mark Miller
08-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Saw Mickey play in that WISAA tourney. He was quite a show. Would have been interesting how he would have developed playing for a good coach in a more structured situation. Marty was half his problem.....

Other than the years coaching his son at JFK Prep, Marty Crowe was without a doubt one of the most respected coaches in Wisconsin. His list of accomplishments at Eau Claire Regis and Marinette Central, among others, is highly impressive. His crowning achievement came when he was coaching at Marinette Catholic Central and snapped Appleton Xavier's 49-game winning streak in the 1964 WCIAA State title game at the Arena.

TedBaxter
08-27-2013, 02:02 PM
I know something has been mentioned about this. Did Steve Novak's father play at JFK Prep and did he play with Mickey Crowe?

Nevermind, found the answer.

http://www.mybrowndeernow.com/sports/103949858.html

MUMac
08-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Other than the years coaching his son at JFK Prep, Marty Crowe was without a doubt one of the most respected coaches in Wisconsin. His list of accomplishments at Eau Claire Regis and Marinette Central, among others, is highly impressive. His crowning achievement came when he was coaching at Marinette Catholic Central and snapped Appleton Xavier's 49-game winning streak in the 1964 WCIAA State title game at the Arena.

True that. Marty was an excellent basketball coach. He knew how to coach. He had MCC playing at a high level until he left. I do not believe they had done much of anything after he left. He was also a fairly solid football coach.

I think his enigmatic ways at JFK were likely more of an effort to work with his son who was battling demons of his own. Likely a reason why Mickey and Marty ended up at JFK Prep in the first place.

Nukem2
08-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Yep, I realize that as I saw that title game in the Arena. What I was referring to was his relationship with Mickey. It's as if Marty forgot everything he learned to "help" Mickey. Something was definitely off there.