PDA

View Full Version : Better than Al?

TulsaWarrior
08-24-2013, 11:59 AM
This could be blasphemy but here goes. Is Buzz on the verge of surpassing Al McGuire in terms of college basketball coaching success? Buzz is still considered young for a D1 head coach. He clearly is not there but there has been an impressive run during his tenure at Marquette.

No title games -- but recruiting and player development is the best since Al and Williams.

Al has the edge on blue chip recruits and team rankings. Buzz has done it will lesser player talent. Where was McGuire heading into his sixth season at Marquette? Year five the Warriors were a Boilermaker -- Rick Mount overtime pray shoot --from making it to the Final Four. McGuire’s sixth season he snubbed the NCAA for the NIT and won a title in NYC.

Clearly different eras of college basketball. What we do know is Buzz has the best record since Al. Like Al he is becoming a national figure in the game. My guess is this season will push Buzz closer to the legacy status.

Halo
08-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Please stop. This is beyond silly and makes MU fans look stupid.

Markedman
08-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Please stop. This is beyond silly and makes MU fans look stupid.

This...............

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah Buzz has been really good but until he wins a national championship or goes to multiple final fours at MU we can curb this talk. Sure personality wise he is unique like AL and has really over achieved the first few years, but there is a long way to go before he hits AL status.

Goose85
08-24-2013, 12:54 PM
I hope hope Buzz stays a lot longer so we can find out. If he does it will be seashells and balloons for MU fans.

warriorfan4life
08-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Buzz has done a great job. Al's Marquette was the second best program of the 70's. We still have a huge jump to make to reach the same level as Al's Marquette.

MUMac
08-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Buzz has done a great job. Al's Marquette was the second best program of the 70's. We still have a huge jump to make to reach the same level as Al's Marquette.

And 3rd best decade in the history of college basketball to UCLA of the same decade and Kentucky of the 50's.

I agree with Halo, though. Let's let Buzz be Buzz and keep Al as Al.

ValiantSailor
08-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes, it's blasphemy!

Among other things, Al inherited a team that had the worst record in MU history (5-21). Buzz' inherited a team that was 1 basket (in overtime) from the Sweet 16.

Buzz has a ways to go; eventually, he may do it.

VS

TulsaWarrior
08-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Chill, time will tell and in the mean time it can be fun to look at both coaches going on the six year mark. Al is a Marquette and college basketball saint. It almost feels like cheating thinking of comparing any other coach. I don't think Al would mind and my guess is he would be pretty candid about the difference in eras, the state of the game and even how his success would compare with Buzz.

We're discussing a sport not U.S. foreign policy or medical ethics.

Halo
08-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Chill, time will tell and in the mean time it can be fun to look at both coaches going on the six year mark. Al is a Marquette and college basketball saint. It almost feels like cheating thinking of comparing any other coach. I don't think Al would mind and my guess is he would be pretty candid about the difference in eras, the state of the game and even how his success would compare with Buzz.

We're discussing a sport not U.S. foreign policy or medical ethics.

No, it's just a silly debate and makes MU fans look delusional. Love Buzz, but he has a long, long way to go to be compared to a HOF legend in Al who had one of the best runs of all college basketball for a decade. Think about that. Buzz may not even be here a year from now.

We going to compare Duane Wilson with D Wade next due to the Pro Am next?

TulsaWarrior
08-24-2013, 05:27 PM
You're entitled to you opinion and saying I'm dead wrong but you are not entitled to name calling. "Stupid" shows a lack of respect/courtesy. We tell our kids in elementary school not to use pejorative terms like that. The same rule should apply here. This isn't some radio call in show popping off to get attention. I expect more on this forum.

Halo
08-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Didn't call you stupid. The debate is stupid and if I was to make a case for it with someone, I would expect to be called that and delusional.

However, I edited it to silly for you. It's a silly debate to me, even at the elementary school.

How anyone can think Buzz Williams is now better than Al McGuire is beyond me. But go ahead and think that if you feel so. Wasn't name calling, just think its rather nutty out there that anyone can think that.

Gato78
08-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Al is a transformative figure in college basketball history.Buzz isn't.

kneelb4zerg
08-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I know Buzz doesn't have an agent; is Tulsa Warrior auditioning?

TulsaWarrior
08-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Something in common -- Al didn't have an agent and Buzz doesn't use an agent. 10-percent would be nice in my mountain retirement. ;-)590

ValiantSailor
08-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Al is a transformative figure in college basketball history.Buzz isn't.

Probably a good thing Al didn't leave to coach the Bucks in '67, as he tried to do....

VS

TulsaWarrior
08-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Something in common -- Al didn't have an agent and Buzz doesn't use an agent. 10-percent would be nice in my retirement. ;-)

ValiantSailor
08-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Something in common -- Al didn't have an agent and Buzz doesn't use an agent. 10-percent would be nice in my mountain retirement. ;-)590

Must be summer...no rain!

VS