PDA

View Full Version : Students are back in school....

TheSultan
08-23-2013, 06:56 PM
...and the Big East still does not have a functioning web-site.

Nukem2
08-23-2013, 08:14 PM
...and the Big East still does not have a functioning web-site.And folks are salivating over the sites at AAC,ACC, B1G, SEC, etc,etc........? I doubt it.

MUMac
08-23-2013, 08:21 PM
And folks are salivating over the sites at AAC,ACC, B1G, SEC, etc,etc........? I doubt it.

I know I am not the target market, but I have gone to the BE website more when seeing threads like this than I had during the entire time MU was in the BE.

TheSultan
08-23-2013, 08:51 PM
And folks are salivating over the sites at AAC,ACC, B1G, SEC, etc,etc........? I doubt it.

it's 2013. You always have an up to date web site. Always.

Nukem2
08-23-2013, 09:02 PM
it's 2013. You always have an up to date web site. Always.
Once again,who really ever ever looks at conference websites. Ever....

TheSultan
08-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Once again,who really ever ever looks at conference websites. Ever....

Well, I am sure people do....I bet that conference twitter feeds, etc. link to stuff on their site all the time. Good information for the media to use as well. Otherwise why would conferences even have them to begin with?

And if they don't think anyone looks at a web-site, then they simply shouldn't have one. Don't half ass it.

Mark Miller
08-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Well, I am sure people do....I bet that conference twitter feeds, etc. link to stuff on their site all the time. Good information for the media to use as well. Otherwise why would conferences even have them to begin with?

And if they don't think anyone looks at a web-site, then they simply shouldn't have one. Don't half ass it.

My guess is the Big East is waiting to get it done correctly rather than throwing something up now that is "half ass."

unclejohn
08-24-2013, 05:56 AM
People who are in the business of building or monitoring websites care about websites. Nobody else does. Look at the crowd here, people who care deeply about one of the Big East's teams. Few, if any have spent much time on the Big East website. Since Marquette has been in the conference, I have checked it out a few times, mostly to get specific information, like pairings for the conference tournament, or which schools sponsored which sports. Otherwise, I get my information from websites more closely related to Marquette, like this one.

The argument that recruits or their parents are going to make decisions based upon the lack of a Big East website is silly. Recruits first of all follow coaches. Then they are going to be impressed with particular programs and what that program offers to them. Part of that may well be the conference the team plays in, but nobody is going to change their mind because the Big Ten has a more impressive website. Maybe because another conference gets more games on TV or something, but not the website.

As far as being the place people get information about the conference, there seems little problem with that. Clearly the requisite information is getting out, and the media have no problem reporting it. The conference has released lots of info, held press conferences, and the commissioner has been all over the media. And there is not all that much information to release anyway. There is no full schedule for most sports. Those are coming. That of course is much a function of the fact that the conference is just starting out. In a couple years, this info will be out much sooner. There are just much more important things for the conference to worry about right now. This argument is form over substance.

TheSultan
08-24-2013, 07:16 AM
My guess is the Big East is waiting to get it done correctly rather than throwing something up now that is "half ass."

Too late....

TheSultan
08-24-2013, 07:22 AM
People who are in the business of building or monitoring websites care about websites. Nobody else does. Look at the crowd here, people who care deeply about one of the Big East's teams. Few, if any have spent much time on the Big East website. Since Marquette has been in the conference, I have checked it out a few times, mostly to get specific information, like pairings for the conference tournament, or which schools sponsored which sports. Otherwise, I get my information from websites more closely related to Marquette, like this one.

The argument that recruits or their parents are going to make decisions based upon the lack of a Big East website is silly. Recruits first of all follow coaches. Then they are going to be impressed with particular programs and what that program offers to them. Part of that may well be the conference the team plays in, but nobody is going to change their mind because the Big Ten has a more impressive website. Maybe because another conference gets more games on TV or something, but not the website.

As far as being the place people get information about the conference, there seems little problem with that. Clearly the requisite information is getting out, and the media have no problem reporting it. The conference has released lots of info, held press conferences, and the commissioner has been all over the media. And there is not all that much information to release anyway. There is no full schedule for most sports. Those are coming. That of course is much a function of the fact that the conference is just starting out. In a couple years, this info will be out much sooner. There are just much more important things for the conference to worry about right now. This argument is form over substance.

1. I never stated that recruits or their parents care about BE web-sites.

and 2. There are full schedules for fall sports. What if I am trying to find a comprehensive volleyball schedule for the conference? It exists because I can go to the individual schools and piece it together. However I can't get it anywhere on the BE site. That is simply bad in this day and age.

I'm not sure why people are continuing to make excuses for this. I know they don't have the personnel in place to have a social networking presence like most conferences do. But no web site? Terrible.

ValiantSailor
08-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Some people care; most don't. Those who care say, "Terrible!" Those who don't say, "Meh...."

I'm in the latter category. I think the only time I've gone to the BE website was to see pairings for the BE Tournament. If they don't have an operating website by March, I'll be annoyed, but I'll get over it.

VS

Nukem2
08-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Some people care; most don't. Those who care say, "Terrible!" Those who don't say, "Meh...."

I'm in the latter category. I think the only time I've gone to the BE website was to see pairings for the BE Tournament. If they don't have an operating website by March, I'll be annoyed, but I'll get over it.

VSYep, prior to the BET was the only time I looked at the BE website. As UJ suggests, there are much better sites for information than a league site.

unclejohn
08-24-2013, 09:37 AM
1. I never stated that recruits or their parents care about BE web-sites.

and 2. There are full schedules for fall sports. What if I am trying to find a comprehensive volleyball schedule for the conference? It exists because I can go to the individual schools and piece it together. However I can't get it anywhere on the BE site. That is simply bad in this day and age.

I'm not sure why people are continuing to make excuses for this. I know they don't have the personnel in place to have a social networking presence like most conferences do. But no web site? Terrible.

Perhaps you have not made that argument, but it is one that has been made repeatedly by those who have been upset that the conference website is not up yet. There have been lots of complaints that it is going to make the conference look small-time and give people the wrong impression, yada yada. The fact is, the first year is going to be a bit rough around the edges, and I think most people expect that.

As far as looking for schedules for fall sports and the like, who exactly is looking? Few of them are televised. Most people who want to know will look for the schedule for their individual school. I doubt anybody at Marquette cares who Villanova is playing. And of course, a lot of those schedules have been slow in coming together, since the conference is brand new. In previous years, both schools and conference would know pretty much when conference games were going to be in July. This year, that was when the conference was confirming which teams were in it.

I do not pretend to know all of what is going on in building the conference. Lots of stuff has been going on behind the scenes, and has been since the C-7 announced they were leaving. Some people were upset that a commissioner was not hired much sooner. That seems to have turned out pretty well. I am figuring that there are just more important things for the conference to worry about than the website.

TheSultan
08-24-2013, 10:19 AM
As far as looking for schedules for fall sports and the like, who exactly is looking? Few of them are televised. Most people who want to know will look for the schedule for their individual school. I doubt anybody at Marquette cares who Villanova is playing.

People who follow the sport. Look, it really is minor league that a conference doesn't have a web-site up. (Scratch that...minor leagues have web-sites.) And I love how everyone here says stuff like "who cares...I don't look at it." Well, I don't look at a lot of web-sites but that doesn't mean that I under-estimate their importance. If someone...anyone...wants information on the conference for whatever reason, they don't have a way to get it. That's simply poor.

BLT
08-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Related, but Marquette's new free iPad App is sweet.

Hamostradamus
08-24-2013, 10:55 AM
People who follow the sport. Look, it really is minor league that a conference doesn't have a web-site up. (Scratch that...minor leagues have web-sites.) And I love how everyone here says stuff like "who cares...I don't look at it." Well, I don't look at a lot of web-sites but that doesn't mean that I under-estimate their importance. If someone...anyone...wants information on the conference for whatever reason, they don't have a way to get it. That's simply poor.
Agree with Sultan. Grab an NYC intern (I hear they have colleges there) who wants to work in sports, throw him this assignment. Done.

ValiantSailor
08-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Agree with Sultan. Grab an NYC intern (I hear they have colleges there) who wants to work in sports, throw him this assignment. Done.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Want it bad; get it bad!

VS

BLT
08-24-2013, 11:20 AM
The seasons have started in the fall sports. At least have a score ticker on the landing page with a box score/standings frame until it is ready. That part is lame.

My guess/hope is Fox is creating an integrated media site as part of the conference deal. So I can see waiting until it is ready for the full release. Maybe to premiere with the basketball conference schedule release?

TheSultan
08-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Remember, you get what you pay for. Want it bad; get it bad!

Then outsource it. It should have been started when the conference was announced.

Goose85
08-24-2013, 04:31 PM
You would think the web site would have been one of the tasks farmed out to one of the schools. I'd bet a league website gets more hits than fans that go to DePaul games, yet I am sure DePaul feels it is important to have a web site.

It just seems small time not to have one.

MUMac
08-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I went to the BE site and clicked on the Facebook link. That is active and up to date. I came across this post from the BE on that page, dated August 7:

BIG EAST
August 7
The new and improved BIGEAST.org is currently in development and will launch in the coming weeks. A number of unique factors created the need to start from scratch and that is the reason for the delay. Please continue to visit the BIG EAST Facebook page, BIG EAST and each member school's sites for the latest information.

Not sure what issues are created by starting from scratch that would create the delay. Also, not sure when they started the process.

TheSultan
08-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Good catch Mac.