PDA

View Full Version : How big of a player rotation?

TulsaWarrior
08-23-2013, 08:03 AM
How many players will get meaningful minutes for Marquette this season? The game is changing and we may see deeper and deeper benches. This is a quote from a Jon Rothstein column: "VCU coach Shaka Smart said this week that he may play as many as 11 or 12 guys on a regular basis during the upcoming season. The Rams, who could be Smart’s deepest team since he’s been a head coach, are the prohibitive favorites in the Atlantic 10. “Playing that many guys allows us to play the way we want to play,” Smart said. “We want to always have fresh bodies out on the court.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/23/rothstein-files-this-and-that-around-college-basketball-26/

TheSultan
08-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Well, you know that the following people will get good minutes if healthy: Jamil, Mayo, Derrick, Juan, Davante, Otule, McKay

And I think you can reasonably assume that Taylor, Burton and back-ups at PG and SG will get minutes too. (I am assuming Duane and JaJuan...but who knows)

So that's 11. But that might be too many. Someone gets hurt, or someone doesn't meet expectations, or Buzz simply doesn't want to play that many, and that could change.

Goose85
08-23-2013, 08:12 AM
I think Jake Thomas, if he gets off to a good start and builds some confidence, could also get some good minutes.

TheSultan
08-23-2013, 08:22 AM
I think Jake Thomas, if he gets off to a good start and builds some confidence, could also get some good minutes.

He could...but then I think he takes the "backup SG" role away from JaJuan.

Nukem2
08-23-2013, 09:23 AM
The logjam on the perimeter is going to challenge Buzz in terms of keeping guys happy. Lots of physical talent and potential out there. All of these guys are going to want to play. Will be interesting to see how Buzz handles all of this.

Mucrisco
08-23-2013, 11:29 AM
VCU presses all the time. If Marquette pressed the entire game, then I would be in favor of a large rotation. Otherwise, it's hard to play that many people.

tower912
09-01-2013, 08:18 PM
It depends on how fast the freshman are ready. After all, MU will have a superior front court and an adequate starting backcourt without anything from the frosh. Also, Buzz has previously stated he likes a 9 1/2 man rotation.