PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin isn’t as boring as some might think??

CaribouJim
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/08/19/wisconsin-badgers/?sct=hp_wr_a5&eref=sihp

I would take Dekker in a second, but they still bore the crap out of me.

When a coach is with a program for as long as Ryan has been at Wisconsin (he’s entering his 13th season), a statistical ‘footprint’ of how he likes to coach usually becomes clear. And in Ryan’s case, there are certain inarguable tenets in the way he approaches the game. For example, in each of the past five seasons, the Badgers have been in the nation’s top five in offensive turnover percentage. They value the ball on offense better than any team in the nation. They also play extremely slowly in terms of possessions, with last season’s pace of 61.7 possessions per game (318th in Division I out of 347 teams) the fastest of the last half decade of Badgers basketball.

Markedman
08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Damning with faint praise......:D

Ryan is a very good coach.....I think they became way too 3 happy last year.......

Hamostradamus
08-19-2013, 02:02 PM
"Ryan, who has coached pretty much everywhere..." He coached at UW-Madison as an assistant from 76-84, then Plateville from 84-99, then UWM from 99-2000, the back to Madison. So he has coached at 3 UW schools over the course of nearly 40 years, not exactly "pretty much everywhere."

And I have watched the Badgers in person two years ago, and not against MU (so I could be objective). And they are exactly as boring as everyone says they are. It was really, really awful. Great fundamentals, but they could cure insomnia.

Goose85
08-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Damning with faint praise......:D

Ryan is a very good coach.....I think they became way too 3 happy last year.......

I agree that Ryan is a very good coach. I also think they play a very boring style of ball, especially being in a high major conference. Their fans can argue it all they want, but a boring style of ball is their national basketball brand.

Interesting - The Badgers last season's pace of 61.7 possessions per game (318th of 347 in D1) was the fastest of the last five years for the Badgers. Wow. I think they will again shoot a lot of 3's this year with Brust / Gasser / Dekker leading the 3 parade.

I think Dekker has a very good year this year and goes pro. It will be interesting to watch how he is used this year as the Badgers may need him to play the 4/5 slot often.

IWB
08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Will be interesting indeed, especially with Gasser now being cleared. I don't think Dekker goes pro after this year, but he does have the talent level.

Agree with Hamos, Bo has coached about everywhere? Maybe as the visiting team's head coach. UW, Platteville, UWM, UW is not exactly everywhere, unless you are referring to places within the state of Wisconsin.

Bo is a great coach, no question. His style is boring as hell, no question. But he wins ball games, and that is all that matters.

Markedman
08-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Decker doesn't strike me as a kid who is focused on getting to the NBA as soon as he can......wouldn't surprise me if he stays 3 or 4 years.

TheSultan
08-19-2013, 03:18 PM
"Ryan, who has coached pretty much everywhere..." He coached at UW-Madison as an assistant from 76-84, then Plateville from 84-99, then UWM from 99-2000, the back to Madison. So he has coached at 3 UW schools over the course of nearly 40 years, not exactly "pretty much everywhere."

Of course you cut out the next part of the sentence: "...from the high school level on up." It was pretty obvious that "everywhere" meant "level of basketball."

Gato78
08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
I do not think Dekker is NBA material--certainly not at this point. Compare him to Vander and DJO. Granted they all have different plusses and minuses, but if DJO and Vander cannot get a legitimate cup of coffee, I cannot see how Dekker will, though he is a superb college basketball player. He also plays for a coach who does not have a good track record of getting guys ready for the NBA.

Nukem2
08-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Draft Express has Dekker at #21 in its current 2014 mock draft.

TheSultan
08-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Draft Express has Dekker at #21 in its current 2014 mock draft.

All on potential. I want to see one more year to see how much he improves.

CaribouJim
08-19-2013, 05:30 PM

You may be right, but from what I saw this past year I'd be very surprised if his game didn't go up a few notches this year. He's a stud in my book.

Hamostradamus
08-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Of course you cut out the next part of the sentence: "...from the high school level on up." It was pretty obvious that "everywhere" meant "level of basketball."

High school AND college? Wow, he's in unique company. There aren't 5 coaches in America with a resume like that.

Gato78
08-19-2013, 05:57 PM
I am not a fan of Bo but you have to give him credit--he scratched and clawed his way to become a high major coach and he has excelled at that level too.

TheSultan
08-19-2013, 06:30 PM
High school AND college? Wow, he's in unique company. There aren't 5 coaches in America with a resume like that.

High school...D3 school...low major...high major. And the author never said that was unique, but I think it is pretty uncommon.

Not sure exactly why you are arguing. It's like you are trying to find something negative to say about the author who wrote a generally positive article.

Nukem2
08-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Thats what the draft is all about these days......potential. GBOW

mufansince72
08-19-2013, 06:50 PM
I do not think Dekker is NBA material--certainly not at this point. Compare him to Vander and DJO. Granted they all have different plusses and minuses, but if DJO and Vander cannot get a legitimate cup of coffee, I cannot see how Dekker will, though he is a superb college basketball player. He also plays for a coach who does not have a good track record of getting guys ready for the NBA.

Seriously? DJO was too small! Vander not a good enough shooter. Dekker has the size, the shooting ability and the athleticism to be an NBA player, as much as it pains me to admit it!

Gato78
08-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Does he have NBA quickness?

mufansince72
08-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Does he have NBA quickness?
I think he does, but what do I know!

MUMac
08-20-2013, 08:02 AM
You may be right, but from what I saw this past year I'd be very surprised if his game didn't go up a few notches this year. He's a stud in my book.

The only thing that will hold him back is bo. Has bo really developed a player? I think he has earned the accolades for his coaching, but as far a player development goes, I think he is very weak.

Goose85
08-20-2013, 09:09 AM
I think Dekker has the size and skill set to play in the league, or at least get drafted in the league. I think he does have the quickness.
Think Gordon Hayward. I agree in that I think Bo limited him last year.

If he has a good year, and is in round 1 in the mock drafts, he should go. NBA is on potential and if you look good after two years and the NBA execs think you have potential, don't give them another year to find out that you may not.