PDA

View Full Version : tHIS SHOULD BE FUN

TulsaWarrior
08-18-2013, 07:58 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/watch/fox-sports-live/video?vid=d81b2be8-1629-422d-9ec2-61a190a713cd

I can't wait for the Fox Sports One Big East coverage.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I'll be honest I didn't get to watch yesterday, however from that clip I am about 10x less interested in going to watch. They seemed to be trying too hard.

MUMac
08-18-2013, 09:48 AM
I'll be honest I didn't get to watch yesterday, however from that clip I am about 10x less interested in going to watch. They seemed to be trying too hard.

I watched a little last night after the Packers - Rams game. I concur with your assessment. It was difficult,for me, to watch.

TulsaWarrior
08-18-2013, 09:51 AM
It looks like they are aiming at a younger audience. A lot of hit Broadway plays got rotten reviews on opening night.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-18-2013, 10:18 AM
This seemed a bit like one of Fox's other attempts at a sports show, "the best damn sports show period" I don't mind a little humor with my sports, but they are forcing it a little too much and trying to make it too much comedy and not enough sports talk. I know they are trying to differentiate from ESPN but they can't go that much different, there needs to be a little bit of seriousness involved. The other thing is that they need to let the sports portion draw people in, not the comedy. If I want comedy I'll turn on Comedy Central. When I want sports I want to turn on ESPN and see the highlights and stories from the night.

Mucrisco
08-18-2013, 10:20 AM
I liked it. I don't watch Sportscenter anymore because of all the hype. I'd watch this show. They don't take themselves so seriously. I liked the round table format in between the highlights too.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-18-2013, 10:27 AM
It needs work, but I like it better than the self-important agenda-setting feel I get from SC. I really liked the panel, which is odd because I usually hate the panels ESPN uses. McNabb and Roddick surprise me with seemingly well rounded sports knowledge. Kapler was great for the Braun discussion. I think in a month or two, once they settle in, it will be very good.

MUMac
08-18-2013, 10:30 AM
I want to clarify. I liked the format. I liked the panel. I thought the two anchors looked fake as they force it too much. They were very difficult for me to watch. Take the starch out and show some cohesion between each other. The lack of that is what made it very difficult for me to watch.

The Reptile
08-18-2013, 10:35 AM
It wasn't all that bad. Sure, you've got to get used to the personalities and their humor. Some jokes bombed, some were funny. Same goes with the panel discussion - it's going to take time to gel but should be better in the future.

It was refreshing to see a broadcast where a player wasn't put on a pedestal over the entire sport and where a story wasn't beat to death while we're being convinced that it's the only story that matters right now in sports. FS1's Fox Sports Live will get better and it can't happen fast enough.

CaribouJim
08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
I too thought it was a rough start - very rough, but I'm not the target market either being 55. I agree that the anchors were over reaching - trying to be too clever and funny on EVERY highlight. Too much UFC for my taste too.

However, I'll have to agree with an anchor I heard on The Score here in Chicago this morning who watched some last night. He called the debut "interesting" and not in a cynical way. Too much of UFC for him too, but you have to be patient until more of their own content becomes available and other seasons start like football and basketball after that.

ESPN2 over reached at their inception too trying to be too hip before they found their groove.

Their success will be evolutionary instead of revolutionary. Hopefully they'll get their groove before too long - based on last night there is only one way to go.

08-18-2013, 01:53 PM
I too thought it was a rough start - very rough, but I'm not the target market either being 55. I agree that the anchors were over reaching - trying to be too clever and funny on EVERY highlight. Too much UFC for my taste too.

I think the UFC was to be expected as it was their big event yesterday. Gotta show love to those that are helping you get started. On the plus side, that could help lead to some heavy coverage for us come CBB season. On the negative side, I don't want to see their network strictly catering to content providers.

warriorfan4life
08-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I really wish Fox and Fox Sports had the NHL and EPL, as I think both sports have lots of untapped potential and I'd much rather have the Fox engine behind them then NBC's second rate attempt at an all-sports network.

08-18-2013, 02:26 PM
I really wish Fox and Fox Sports had the NHL and EPL, as I think both sports have lots of untapped potential and I'd much rather have the Fox engine behind them then NBC's second rate attempt at an all-sports network.

The timing of Fox losing the EPL was awful. Launching a new network on this weekend, the same weekend the EPL launched, and able to utilize FSC, FS+, and their main networks would have been fantastic. While I am glad NBC seems to be all in on the EPL, Fox was a more natural fit for the Prem and it couldn't have been timed better with the launch of FS1. Oh well.

TulsaWarrior
08-19-2013, 07:52 AM
You got to make the best of the hand you're dealt. While I'm not a fan of Fox News they have craved a big place in the market. Fox Sports One will do the same. It looks like they are targeting a younger demographic so a lot of what they are doing may not play well with older viewers. I do think they will market the heck out of the Big East and we'll see re-broadcast of games in the off season or odd hours as filler. That will help my addiction.