PDA

View Full Version : Deonte Burton on Go MU, Project 300

milkbone
08-12-2013, 01:02 PM
http://marquetteproject300.tumblr.com/tagged/Deonte-Burton

TheSultan
08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I have really been enjoying these, but I have to tell you that Patrick Reed's voice is so good, it is almost a cliche for what "announcer voice" should sound like.

I think Burton is going to be fantastic.

QuetteHoops
08-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I have really been enjoying these, but I have to tell you that Patrick Reed's voice is so good, it is almost a cliche for what "announcer voice" should sound like.

I think Burton is going to be fantastic.

I was thinking the same thing about his voice. It's so good it's annoying to listen to.

CaribouJim
08-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Who does Patrick Reed work for - he's not an employee of MU correct? It's a production company that work with other teams as well?

TheSultan
08-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Who does Patrick Reed work for - he's not an employee of MU correct? It's a production company that work with other teams as well?

He works for MU as the "Director of Digital Media/Internet Services"

From his bio: "Patrick Reed is in his second year as Marquette's Director of Digital Media/Internet Services. His primary role is to direct MU's athletic video efforts, including developing content for GoMarquette.com All-Access, social media and media relations purposes."

CaribouJim
08-12-2013, 01:48 PM
I stand corrected - thanks!

Markedman
08-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I wonder why they went away from having students do this kind of stuff? I always thought it was great training for the Communication/Broadcast type majors.

He works for MU as the "Director of Digital Media/Internet Services"

From his bio: "Patrick Reed is in his second year as Marquette's Director of Digital Media/Internet Services. His primary role is to direct MU's athletic video efforts, including developing content for GoMarquette.com All-Access, social media and media relations purposes."

TheSultan
08-12-2013, 02:03 PM
I wonder why they went away from having students do this kind of stuff? I always thought it was great training for the Communication/Broadcast type majors.

MU athletics looks like it is really making an investment to have more video production work on their web-site. I have always found that students are fine for "special projects" and the like, but if you are really going to make something an integral part of what you want to do, you pretty much have to hire professional staff.

Of course that doesn't mean that students aren't involved with the process. Camera work...lighting...scripting...etc. I bet students are still involved.

MU Viking
08-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I miss Brad Galli as an MU student reporter. Talk about a natural! Sometimes the pros aren't as good!

I do appreciate that MU is beefing up its coverage however.

Markedman
08-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I guess my thinking is only the hardcore basketball fans will see this stuff anyway and students would be fine but you are probably right Sultan.

Who was the guy they had a few years ago who is now working in Detroit? Brad?

MU Viking
08-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Brad Galli is his name. Very talented individual. http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/about_us/staff/brad-galli

MUMac
08-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I guess my thinking is only the hardcore basketball fans will see this stuff anyway and students would be fine but you are probably right Sultan.

Who was the guy they had a few years ago who is now working in Detroit? Brad?

I am guessing MU wants to market themselves and do it in a first class way. That does not mean students cannot, or will not, be involved. What better way for them to learn than from a professional. I like what they are doing. Social Media is far too important and getting things like this out timely, profesionally ... are criticial. I think the target market is broader than you believe it is, at least potentially.

TulsaWarrior
08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Reed needs to work on becoming more conversational -- too much of an announcer voice -- old school stuff that can come across as phony. I'm sure he is a nice man and a hard worker. The advice is from a retired news director who early on suffered from the same issue Reed has.

ziggysfryboy
08-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Brad Galli is his name. Very talented individual. http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/about_us/staff/brad-galli

Brad Galli to Fox Sports 1!

Halo
08-13-2013, 12:50 AM
dude reminded me of Patrick Bateman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

IWB
08-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Brad Galli is a great guy, still keep in touch with him. Story time.... I used to be vocal in post game press conferences, always asked at least two questions. On three occasions, Buzz pointed out that I always asked the best questions and once stopped a post game presser to ask Rosiak why he didn't ask questions like me. (just giving him crap, as Todd was a real pro) Galli always asked great questions, especially for a student. Well, I lost my job at the Journal the day of a Monday night game. That night as word got out, I got my first e-mail post game, and it was from Galli.....

He said, "In the media room I always think long and hard about my questions, I always try to ask a question that I think you would ask. Tonight, I tried coming up with a great question, but knowing what happened to you, I couldn't come up with a single question. Every time I tried, all I could do was think about you not being there. Something just wasn't right." He went on to thank me for all of my help and advice over the years.

I was blown away by that e-mail, and to think it was from a college kid? I still have the e-mail, will never forget it, and for whatever reason, I rarely if ever, ask questions in the post game presser anymore.

CaribouJim
08-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Brad Galli is a great guy, still keep in touch with him. Story time.... I used to be vocal in post game press conferences, always asked at least two questions. On three occasions, Buzz pointed out that I always asked the best questions and once stopped a post game presser to ask Rosiak why he didn't ask questions like me. (just giving him crap, as Todd was a real pro) Galli always asked great questions, especially for a student. Well, I lost my job at the Journal the day of a Monday night game. That night as word got out, I got my first e-mail post game, and it was from Galli.....

He said, "In the media room I always think long and hard about my questions, I always try to ask a question that I think you would ask. Tonight, I tried coming up with a great question, but knowing what happened to you, I couldn't come up with a single question. Every time I tried, all I could do was think about you not being there. Something just wasn't right." He went on to thank me for all of my help and advice over the years.

I was blown away by that e-mail, and to think it was from a college kid? I still have the e-mail, will never forget it, and for whatever reason, I rarely if ever, ask questions in the post game presser anymore.

...and there is a dearth of good questions asked at post game/match pressers IMO. So milquetoasty and lacking in substance. I hate the "tell me about that play in the 7th inning"? Where is the question?