PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports isn't messing around.....

Markedman
08-08-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/08/08/fox-inks-deal-to-televise-u-s--open.html

TheSultan
08-08-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/08/08/fox-inks-deal-to-televise-u-s--open.html

I linked to this over at Scoop.

https://twitter.com/bkoo/status/365289686186459136

I am so glad the BE is with Fox and not with NBC.

TedBaxter
08-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Johnny Miller's an ass.

Markedman
08-08-2013, 01:26 PM
You know I really like Johnny Miller as a golf analyst...but is he serious? He is upset because the USGA didn't turn down millions of dollars to keep him on as an announcer? lol

I mean get over yourself John....

TedBaxter
08-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Yes, he knows his stuff, but really thinks his crap doesn't stink.

CaribouJim
08-08-2013, 01:32 PM
The Golf Channel was not too happy last night about the timing of the announcement - the anchor congratulated Fox then went on to rip the USGA for making the announcement on the eve of the PGA. I guess it is not customary to do so. I will miss NBC on the US Open though.

I'm very happy with Fox for the BE, but NBC would have been cool for me as well.

The Reptile
08-08-2013, 01:38 PM
I love the fact that Miller believes that Fox can't do a better job. That's exactly what CBS was saying when they lost the NFC to Fox a decade or so ago and CNN thought when the Fox News channel started. Seems like everyone who doubts them at first loses to them later.

TheSultan
08-08-2013, 01:43 PM
NBCs sports productions are wonderful. But their programming is made up of a bunch of generally lowly rated, and niche sports. Here is what they have right now as far as major sports:

*Sunday Night NFL (phenominal...most watched program week in and week out on television.)
*Notre Dame football (one game every other week or so and usually behind CBS and ABC in college football ratings)
*NHL (by far the least watched of the "big four" sports)
*MLS & EPL (an emerging sport, but small ratings)
*Horse racing (niche)
*Tour de France (niche)

This isn't a line up set up to draw big numbers. And if we want the BE to generate viewership, I think we would rather be on a network that can market to more eyeballs over the course of a year than NBC can. Fox has the NFL...college football...baseball post season....all of which can be used to set the stage for the upcoming college basketball season.

CaribouJim
08-08-2013, 01:59 PM
I may a bit bias for NBC Sports - grew up an AFL fan living an hour or so east of Buffalo, Game of Week for baseball with Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek and liked it when they had College Basketball. Got hard wired as a kid.

CaribouJim
08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
NBCs sports productions are wonderful. But their programming is made up of a bunch of generally lowly rated, and niche sports. Here is what they have right now as far as major sports:

*Sunday Night NFL (phenominal...most watched program week in and week out on television.)
*Notre Dame football (one game every other week or so and usually behind CBS and ABC in college football ratings)
*NHL (by far the least watched of the "big four" sports)
*MLS & EPL (an emerging sport, but small ratings)
*Horse racing (niche)
*Tour de France (niche)

This isn't a line up set up to draw big numbers. And if we want the BE to generate viewership, I think we would rather be on a network that can market to more eyeballs over the course of a year than NBC can. Fox has the NFL...college football...baseball post season....all of which can be used to set the stage for the upcoming college basketball season.

Don't forget the Olympics - both Summer and Winter for the last 20+ years.

TheSultan
08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Don't forget the Olympics - both Summer and Winter for the last 20+ years.

Yes. But IMO they have way overpaid for a product that is only on the air every two years for a short length of time.

CaribouJim
08-08-2013, 02:44 PM
That may or may not be true, but my point was to illustrate their capabilities and experience and to your point their production quality can't be denied.

Again, I'm very excited about the Fox partnership - they are very aggressive and the properties that they own are a great platform to keep the BE top of mind in a very important transition year.

The world would not have ended if we had ended up with NBC as a partner though.

MUMac
08-08-2013, 03:17 PM
The Golf Channel was not too happy last night about the timing of the announcement - the anchor congratulated Fox then went on to rip the USGA for making the announcement on the eve of the PGA. I guess it is not customary to do so. I will miss NBC on the US Open though.

I'm very happy with Fox for the BE, but NBC would have been cool for me as well.

That's not surprising. There is not a lot of love between the PGA and USGA. The Golf Channel has a contract with the PGA. They would rip. The USGA loved the opportunity to make the announcement on the eve of the PGA Championship.

Markedman
08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
And the Golf Channel is owned by Comcast which also owns NBC......

DCwarrior
08-08-2013, 04:15 PM
The best part of this is I won't ever have to watch or listen to Chris Berman televise the Open again after next year. He makes the Thursday/Friday rounds unbearable. He also makes ESPN's NFL pregame show unbearable to watch as well as anything else he announces.

CaribouJim
08-08-2013, 04:27 PM
That's not surprising. There is not a lot of love between the PGA and USGA. The Golf Channel has a contract with the PGA. They would rip. The USGA loved the opportunity to make the announcement on the eve of the PGA Championship.

I have to confess, I just assumed that the PGA was a subset of the USGA.

TheSultan
08-08-2013, 04:31 PM
No they don't get along at all.

In fact my understanding is that one of the reasons that Erin Hills got the US Open despite being relatively young, is that they wanted to hold the US Open near the Chicago era but that they were essentially shut out of Medinah and Whistling Straits because both of them are more aligned with the PGA.

MUMac
08-08-2013, 07:38 PM
No they don't get along at all.

In fact my understanding is that one of the reasons that Erin Hills got the US Open despite being relatively young, is that they wanted to hold the US Open near the Chicago era but that they were essentially shut out of Medinah and Whistling Straits because both of them are more aligned with the PGA.

Yep. I know they wanted Whistling Straits. That is one reason why the PGA committed 3 tournaments and the Ryder Cup to the Straits.