PDA

View Full Version : updates from pro-am?

dubs98
08-03-2013, 08:04 PM
anyone kind enough to share some updates/recaps from the pro am for the last two days for us out of towners?

IWB
08-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Sorry, I don't see too much as I am always running around during games, but Deonte Burton continues to dominate. Bo Ellis keeps laughing, saying, "I'll tell you, that Burton kid...."

Deonte has been impressive, Jameel McKay has as well. McKay is a jumping jack and the kid just wants to win. Duane Wilson is quick as all get out. There is no question that he wants to be a team leader and it shows. It shows on the floor and it shows when he talks to me, he may be young but the kid is mature.

Other players? Today Marcus Landry showed why the Lakers signed him. Didn't put up 40+ like Myles & Dujante always do, but for a while there I didn't think he was going to miss a shot.

Not much of a recap, but when I can catch my breath I'll give a full review.

MUBasketball
08-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately, player turnout the past two days hasn't been strong (at least from the Marquette guys).

Last night, there was Deonte, Jake, John, and Duane (can't remember if Jameel was there last night or not?).Today, there was Deonte, Jake, Jameel...and that was it. Hopefully the teams are pretty full tomorrow for the finale.

Deonte is highly impressive, really standing out among the new guys. Jameel is high energy, very long and thin. Jajuan has a very unorthodox shot...but hey, as long as it goes in.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
08-03-2013, 09:04 PM
What has Deonte been doing to stand out? Transition, half court, outside shot, driving, dishing, etc? thanks.

MUBasketball
08-03-2013, 09:19 PM
What has Deonte been doing to stand out? Transition, half court, outside shot, driving, dishing, etc? thanks.

Deonte is a freaking man. Hard to wrap my head around the fact he was a high school kid just a few months ago. The guy is put together. He's really got a full arsenal. I'm not trying to hype him up too much, because that happens far too often. But in terms of what I hope out of true freshmen, he looks really good. He's got more range than I expected him to have -- his shot has an awkward spin to it, but it's pretty reliable based on what I've seen so far.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
08-03-2013, 09:25 PM
where do we think he will play in the buzz offense? 3?

TheSultan
08-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Where has Marcus Landry been the last few years? It is really nice to see him succeed. One of the best high school games I ever saw I was back home in WI and watched his Vincent team play Matthew's Memorial team in the D1 semifinals.

MUBasketball
08-03-2013, 09:35 PM
where do we think he will play in the buzz offense? 3?

Yeah or an undersized 4. But he's a bruiser, he's got the body for it.

IWB
08-04-2013, 02:48 AM
To echo MU's sentiments, yes. Outside shot (though teammates may disagree) a great handle on the ball, ability to drive to the hole, mid range jumper, rebound, defending 1-5 (have seen him defend PG and today he had to defend a 7 footer). The kid really just does it all, and he loves the freaking game. If it wasn't for NCAA rules - he would play the first game and keep playing until the night is done. Physically he is probably put together better than anyone in the league, and that is saying a lot.

He wants to play. Some guys blow it off if they are a little busy - he called me today and said, "I found a ride, they're on their way, can you delay our start time?" I couldn't delay, but he only missed first quarter. Out of all of the college players in the league this year - I would rank his performance this summer at #2.

Phantom Warrior
08-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Which college player would you rank #1?

BLT
08-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Which college player would you rank #1?
My guess is Drew Windler. He is kinda Novak-esque. Runs the court nice and can nail the trey.

On Burton, great observations on his desire to play. I think that may come from playing at Brewster and being exposed to that high talent. Way underrated for his talent. His athleticism is off the charts, and he has the ability to dominate games offensively. Has things to work on but he is a man-child, and that starts with his motor.

IWB
08-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I can't say yet, have to unveil it today.

dubs98
08-04-2013, 09:25 AM
thanks for all of the updates.

question for those who watched Vincent's games last year. what seemed to hold burton back. seemed like he had a good year his senior year, but did not seem to dominate to the degree that might be expected considering his talents. Was it coaching? did he not play to the level he can? has he simply made that great of strides since the end of his senior year. I remember reading (IIRC it was sometime mid season) that someone commented that he would be a better college player then HS player. Do people who have seen him play more extensively agree, and why? He certainly intrigues me and I think he is going to provide us with many "wow" moments over the next few years. Can't wait to see him play.

again, thanks to all for the comments. living in Michigan, I always check frequently sat morning and throughout the day to see how the fellas looked. Helps feed my bball fix in the summer time. also, thanks again Jim for hosting this!

Gato78
08-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Crappy coaching last year held him back. No movement on offense whatsoever. Burton put on low block in stagnant offense. It was ridiculous.

Phantom Warrior
08-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Definitely agree about the coaching.

However I also think DB went out of his way to be unselfish and involve his teammates. He is a very good passer, though at Vincent he occasionally forced some passes.

Nukem2
08-04-2013, 10:48 AM
The other thing about Burton is that he is very left-handed. Needs to work on his right hand.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-04-2013, 11:20 AM
There is no way that Drew Windler is the #1 college player in the Pro-Am this year, when I watched him and Davante play Davante dominated him, Windler also has been incredibly hard to watch due to his constant whining to the refs and complaining about calls. I spoke with Davante and Juan after their game with him and they both said he was constantly holding, shoving, or doing other things and then complaining everytime he got caught, that's what caused Davante to get the technical after tossing him to the ground. I have on a few occasions seen Windler airball 3's and miss layups on drives, I'd say most impressive for me was either Burton or Gardner when he was trying.

Gato78
08-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Windler looked great today and did win the college MVP. He is a damn good player who has developed quite well over the past few years. I think he was deserving.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-04-2013, 05:58 PM
I guess I missed the games he played well, I attended the Pro-Am 4 times and was incredibly unimpressed by Windler, admittedly his attitude turned me off more than anything though.

IWB
08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Davante had a shot at the overall MVP but had three no-shows down the stretch. So would you give the MVP to someone who played in 4 of 7 games?

Burton was great but his team finished with 1 win. Finished right behind Windler in scoring.

Windler led his team to a 6-1 record, averaging 30 pts & 11 rebound per game.

Hamostradamus
08-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Windler was like top 5 in almost every category and played every game. He also took a charge from Davante that was damn impressive.

Mucrisco
08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Windler was a good player and probably deserved MVP, especially considering the no shows. His attitude sucks though. Give it a rest with all the whining to the refs. His fans picked up on that and were constantly whining also. It's summer ball. Just play the game.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I agree crisco, that's probably why I dislike him, more about my dislike for his attitude.

MUBasketball
08-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Agree with Crisco. I think Windler is a really solid player. Definitely whines though.

MU/Panther
08-05-2013, 07:38 AM
You got to stick up for yourself. Many players feel that the blue chippers get all the calls.

MUBasketball
08-05-2013, 11:35 AM
You got to stick up for yourself. Many players feel that the blue chippers get all the calls.

Is that why you were bitching at the refs that one night?? It's freaking summer league man, c'mon!

MU/Panther
08-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Is that why you were bitching at the refs that one night?? It's freaking summer league man, c'mon!

You should've came down and said hello! It's always nice to meet other message board fans.

I don't think I was bitching at all untill the ref didn't like my 1974 Bad News Bears chant of "Let them play!" Bo Ellis and Jimmy Lemke liked it!
Others in the crowd got restless for all the fouls called on Winder and Gardner. Your correct, it's summer league. The refs should've took them both off to the side and told them to stop the rough house play.

MUBasketball
08-05-2013, 12:57 PM
You should've came down and said hello! It's always nice to meet other message board fans.

I don't think I was bitching at all untill the ref didn't like my 1974 Bad News Bears chant of "Let them play!" Bo Ellis and Jimmy Lemke liked it!
Others in the crowd got restless for all the fouls called on Winder and Gardner. Your correct, it's summer league. The refs should've took them both off to the side and told them to stop the rough house play.

Too bad it's over...I'll say hey the next time I see ya. Probably Goolsby's before a game!