PDA

View Full Version : Cordell Henry

IWB
07-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Looks like Crean got Cordell Henry a job - from Cordell's Facebook page....

Hopefully this message hit someone spirit who may be going through a worried or confused moment in life. A testimony: Many who know me on here know that basketball been my life all my life. I knew god placed this gift in me at a young age. So I stayed committed to it. After 9 years of playing professional basketball I decided to walk away. People questioned why I walked away at relatively young age of 31. My reason is I wanted to be closer to my daughter. My baby is 10 years old. The rides to the airport she use to be strong, but when I kissed her cheeks and closed the doors she would break down crying. So last year I stepped away from my career. Not going to lie I was a little nervous about starting a new chapter in my life. I had no idea what I was going to do with my life, but I knew God would direct me. Fall before last my old high school asked me to come volunteer with the varsity team. I didn't think twice. It was a honor for me to help pass knowledge down to the next generation. Two months at Young a agent from Turkey text me asking if I wanted to come to Europe and play. I declined. I was already starting my next phase. I worked the whole year at Young as if I was getting paid. I mentored, I trained, I rebounded shots, I picked and dropped kids off, and just a vessel for them. When the season was over my old college coaches at Marquette who are now at Indiana called out the blue asking if I wanted to coach at a University. I told them I would be interested in interviewing with the university. So I went in and met the coach. The he called me back to meet with the athletic director. Next day they offered me a grad assistant job. That job consisted of a 5k stipend and my masters paid for. So they told me I had the weekend to decide. I weighed my pros/cons and spoke to my family and friends. I decided to take the grad assistant job. I called once the weekend was over and had a list of questions to ask my coach. I was going to take the job and grind. However, as I was going over my list of questions he stopped me after the 1st question. And said," we decided to not offer you the grad assistant job. We want to offer you a full time assistant coach job with benefits." I crumbled my list of questions up. This is going into my second year as a college coach. Keys and codes to every building on campus. President of the campus and professors address me as Coach Henry. Got the word faith tatted on my neck. Got my arms all tatted. But what God has for you is for you and no one can stop it!!!! I got promoted from grad assistant to a full time employee before saying yes! Somewhere someone is saying a prayer for you and you don't even know. Help people and sow seeds just because its in your heart not because people are looking. By me volunteering and working as if I was getting paid at Whitney Young someone saw my intent and someone decided to pray for my future. We are not going to always see the blessings, but just keep faith in God. Know that his timing will not be everyone else's timing. Don't let people rush your life. Know that your blessings are coming!! Don't sit around waiting for a blessing sometime you have to be a blessing first to someone so your blessings will come. North Park University gave me my first job in the states ever!!! I am happy in life because I know God had a plan for me.

ValiantSailor
07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Wonderful testimony.

VS

MUMac
07-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Is it IU or North Park University? It looks like Crean asked if he wanted to coach at "a university" and coordinated the interview with North Park?

Markedman
07-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Cool story....Very happy for Cordell....

IWB
07-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Is it IU or North Park University? It looks like Crean asked if he wanted to coach at "a university" and coordinated the interview with North Park?

Good call Mac - it is at North Park University. Missed that in translation!

Looking at it, the head coach is new and comes from Anderson University in Indiana. Probably got to know Crean well over the past few years.

dubs98
07-29-2013, 07:45 PM
AWESOME stuff. congrats to cordell