PDA

View Full Version : Should Big East Wait to Expand?

Goose85
07-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Most think the TV network wants at least a 12 team league so they have more product.

Schools like Richmond, VCU, Dayton, SLU, etc are often discussed.

Now that the Big 5 conferences seem intent on breaking off in some manner, does it make sense to hang on with 10 to see what happens with those potential changes?

I really doubt any of the schools in the other five football conferences will not be included in a possible new NCAA division for the big boys, but why rush?

If for some reason there is a football related split, if a school like Memphis sees they are now basically FCS for football (D1AA), what happens?

Before adding a Dayton, SLU, Richmond, VCU the Big East may want to give it a year or so to see what shakes out with Big time football.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-26-2013, 11:02 AM
I just posted this same thing in the other thread... Absolutely I say wait, what's the rush? Those other schools will always be there for taking. You are talking Memphis, Temple, UCONN, Cincy, and a few others could be suddenly faced with a second rate football division that likely will be a money sink hole, one or all of them could consider dropping football all together. The Big East needs to sit back and watch the show and then cherry pick later. Hopefully Val Ackerman see's this and FOX does too.

MU88
07-26-2013, 11:12 AM
I am against expansion period. I don't think the added games (e.g. Dayton vs. Richmond) do anything for Fox. They can buy games like that cheap on the secondary market. 10 is great size for hoops.

Goose85
07-26-2013, 11:25 AM
I just posted this same thing in the other thread... Absolutely I say wait, what's the rush? Those other schools will always be there for taking. You are talking Memphis, Temple, UCONN, Cincy, and a few others could be suddenly faced with a second rate football division that likely will be a money sink hole, one or all of them could consider dropping football all together. The Big East needs to sit back and watch the show and then cherry pick later. Hopefully Val Ackerman see's this and FOX does too.

If there is a major split for football, and there becomes another level in football (I still doubt it), then I could easily see Big East expansion including schools like Temple, Memphis and UConn. The Big East currently has three schools that play FCS football - Villanova, Georgetown, Butler.

Mucrisco
07-26-2013, 11:36 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/college-basketball/dayton-tv-market-8th-nationally-for-college-hoops/nX5Kq/

Dayton would add value to Fox. Personally, the home and home with everyone bores me. Depaul, Seton Hall, and Providence accounting for 6 games does not excite me at all.

Goose85
07-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Ten is nice, but I would glady give up home and home to add Temple / Memphis / UConn type schools.

I also think for the other sports adding a few teams would be helpful, but again, basketball is what pays for the other sports.

CaribouJim
07-26-2013, 11:40 AM
If there is a major split for football, and there becomes another level in football (I still doubt it), then I could easily see Big East expansion including schools like Temple, Memphis and UConn. The Big East currently has three schools that play FCS football - Villanova, Georgetown, Butler.

In that scenario, I'd take UCONN and Cinci - real strong conference. I've got no problem going with 12 so long as they are quality programs and not just for the sake of adding them and anyone suggesting a 2 division set-up with 12 teams will be summarily vaporized.

Gato78
07-26-2013, 11:50 AM
UConn is quite desirable from a historical perspective, but more importantly, we need another NYC based team or two in order to keep the Garden.

MUBasketball
07-26-2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/college-basketball/dayton-tv-market-8th-nationally-for-college-hoops/nX5Kq/

Dayton would add value to Fox. Personally, the home and home with everyone bores me. Depaul, Seton Hall, and Providence accounting for 6 games does not excite me at all.

You must not be aware of what Cooley is building at Providence. They'll be very good this season, and will only get better.

Mucrisco
07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
You must not be aware of what Cooley is building at Providence. They'll be very good this season, and will only get better.

Correct. I am not aware of that.

Still, if we can add more quality programs, I'm for that. Only schedule 1 game vs the bottom feeders. Schedule at least a few home and homes with the marquee teams.

TedBaxter
07-26-2013, 12:58 PM
I like the home and home schedule with each team, so I'm in no hurry to add anyone.

MU_Iceman
07-26-2013, 01:38 PM
I like the home and home schedule with each team, so I'm in no hurry to add anyone.

Well, I look at the home and home like this...when you get SH, PC, DePaul twice...you have 6 wins basically before the conference season even starts. That's a nice cushion to have.

IrwinFletcher
07-26-2013, 02:23 PM
But your hypothesis is that SH, Providence and DePaul never get better. As stated above, Prov is well on their way of building a good program that could be a Top 25 level very soon. If that is the case, a nice rivalry could come out of that.

We also have to realize, that the conference is brand new. As the season's go on, some rivalries will be born and the thought of playing H & H is very attractive. It is always cool to have the "revenge" game in the same season.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-26-2013, 03:24 PM
We are getting away from the point of the OP... The discussion is that IF the Big East is going to expand should they take Richmond, Dayton, SLU, or a school like that, or should they hold out in hopes of a football collapse that would create more basketball only schools like Memphis, UCONN, Temple, or Cinncinnati? ... I say wait and see, Dayton, Richmond, SLU and the like arent going anywhere.

ValiantSailor
07-26-2013, 04:06 PM
We are getting away from the point of the OP... The discussion is that IF the Big East is going to expand should they take Richmond, Dayton, SLU, or a school like that, or should they hold out in hopes of a football collapse that would create more basketball only schools like Memphis, UCONN, Temple, or Cinncinnati? ... I say wait and see, Dayton, Richmond, SLU and the like arent going anywhere.

I'm with you!

VS