PDA

View Full Version : Butler Hire Gardner-Webb Head Coach As New Assistant

TedBaxter
07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130715/SPORTS0605/130715005/Butler-adds-Gardner-Webb-s-Chris-Holtmann-coaching-staff?nclick_check=1

Nukem2
07-15-2013, 12:37 PM
That's a strange move.

unclejohn
07-15-2013, 07:39 PM
That's a strange move.

Apparently, being the top assistant at a Big East program looks better than being the head coach at a Southern League team. This guy seems to be relatively young, and has not coached in major conferences. This is his chance to do so, with better players and to recruit higher caliber players. And he is probably making more as an assistant at Butler than he was as head coach of Gardner-Webb.

Nukem2
07-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Apparently, being the top assistant at a Big East program looks better than being the head coach at a Southern League team. This guy seems to be relatively young, and has not coached in major conferences. This is his chance to do so, with better players and to recruit higher caliber players. And he is probably making more as an assistant at Butler than he was as head coach of Gardner-Webb.Oh, I realize that. But a job at a reasonable div I school is a much better position. I suspect he is simply going to be paid more $$$....? The family factor as noted by him.......

Gato78
07-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Buzz did the same thing.

MUBasketball
07-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Really good hire, this guy is solid. Gotta reel in some talent now.

Nukem2
07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Buzz did the same thing.Nope...Buzz bailed out of a terrible situation in New Orleans and looked for a better job. Gardner-Webb is a far different situation.

MayorBeluga
07-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Nope...Buzz bailed out of a terrible situation in New Orleans and looked for a better job. Gardner-Webb is a far different situation.

Gotta agree with Gato on this one. Buzz did the same thing - he moved from head coach of a lower level D1 team to an assistant at a higher level D1 team. The reasons might differ - the awful situation at UNO compared to whatever reasons cited by the (Davante) Gardener-Webb coach - but the actions are essentially the same.

Nukem2
07-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Gotta agree with Gato on this one. Buzz did the same thing - he moved from head coach of a lower level D1 team to an assistant at a higher level D1 team. The reasons might differ - the awful situation at UNO compared to whatever reasons cited by the (Davante) Gardener-Webb coach - but the actions are essentially the same. But, Buzz had no job when he quit. He just bailed on a bad situation for both he and his family. I view these as far different situations.

MUBasketball
07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
But, Buzz had no job when he quit. He just bailed on a bad situation for both he and his family. I view these as far different situations.

Not true. Buzz resigned at UNO after accepting the job on Crean's staff. (And, according to their fans, attempted to force their AD at the time to elevate Monarch to the HC position since it was so late in the summer).

Nukem2
07-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Not true. Buzz resigned at UNO after accepting the job on Crean's staff. (And, according to their fans, attempted to force their AD at the time to elevate Monarch to the HC position since it was so late in the summer).
"..".."."........

MUBasketball
07-16-2013, 03:43 PM
"..".."."........

Ha...what does that mean?!

Nukem2
07-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Ha...what does that mean?!Was going to post something for a different thread...just need enough characters to edit.