PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Am

IWB
07-13-2013, 12:29 AM
Many posters there tonight - I hope there is some feedback, was too busy tonight, watched about 2:00 minutes of action.

Mucrisco
07-13-2013, 07:03 AM
It was good to see IWB, MUBasketball, and Dodds. Who was the guy doing the announcing in the main gym? He was pretty funny. It was well run, IWB, and there were more people there than what I've personally seen previously. I didn't get to watch as much, because I was chatting with various people. I was a little disappointed because one main person that I wanted to see was Dawson, because he seems to be the dark horse of the freshman class. In his game, Davante Gardner was playfully launching threes after one pass or dribbling up the floor and shooting a long three I was getting annoyed because Dawson wasn't seeing the ball at all. There was one stretch when he finally saw the ball. On what felt like three possessions in a row, he hit three long threes that barely touched the net. He has a quick release. He also had a nice no look pass on a break that didn't connect. It was the first game, and guys are just getting use to each other. One thing that was noticeable was how much confidence Gardner has now. He looked lean and mobile out there. This was completely different from his freshman year where he seemed lazy, and was getting beat up by a UW-GB player. I thought he'd be a bench player/transfer. Shows you what I know.

I didn't watch too much of Duane Wilson because I've seen him play, multiple times, and I was talking to someone that I haven't seen in a long time. McKay looked long and very active. JuJuan Johnson didn't really have anyone to play with because guys weren't moving the ball on his team, and Otule was out. He has a long body frame though. When he was getting the ball more in the second half, he distributed well and and made all the right passes. He really played unselfish. I wanted to see Burton, but I guess he was sick. I think I'm going to stop by again tonight, because the next two weekends will be busy for me.

dubs98
07-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the update. All of us out of Towners really love getting perspective from posters in attendance.

Father Dan's Camera
07-13-2013, 09:33 AM
I only saw a glimpse of McKay but I did see him almost hit his head on the rim going for a rebound. I was keeping stats in the Hawk Dome so I got a look at Dawson, Derrick Wilson, Davante and the rest of the MU alumni. Dawson had a few jitters to start as he banked in his first 3 and the second rattled around before falling. The rest of his shots were pure though and he ended the night 5-6 from 3. Davante opened the game shooting from behind the arc but ended the game playing physical inside and showed some moves that were simply impossible to defend. Wilson was steady and knocked down some jumpers. He would have had more assists if some guys finished. Jake Thomas flashed some of his range. The reaper who told me he came out of retirement to play with Scott Merritt did not disappoint he crowd as he picked up an original "Grimmer" on a solid moving screen. Joe Chapman has bulked up and greatly improved is outside shot. The stat line of the night though belonged to Drew Windler who will be a senior at Belmont - 35 pts, 22 reb and 4 blocks. Looking forward to more games today.

Goose85
07-13-2013, 09:48 AM
I worked stats in the other gym. Some great hoop, and games were played seriously.

MU new guys.
Duane Wilson - very smooth with the ball and very good looking shot. Had some real nice battles with Carrington Love from Pius / UWGB. Only one game, but scored a bunch and looked good. Also had some great fast break dunks / passes. Athletic and smooth.

McKay - Very athletic. Rebounds and some put back jams and fast break jams as well. Shot form looked good, but didn't really look for a shot away from the hoop.

Johnson - Unfortunately Otule didn't play so he didn't have a comfort zone with team. Athletic with good move to the hoop. Hit some outside shots, but has a no traditional release. Distributed the ball well. Had to play some D as he was playing against a team with Jerry Smith, Ricky Franklin and Myles McKay - three very good players with a lot of professional experience. Good for him to play against that level of talent.

Not a new guy, but Jamil Wilson brought his team back in a close game with some absolutely tough shots.

Goose85
07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
By the way, this will be a great experience for the college players, MU and otherwise, as IWB did a great job getting some very solid professional talent to play this summer.

Sure DG may take some shots that he normally wouldn't, but most of the guys are battling against guys who have had success playing for money.

Mucrisco
07-13-2013, 10:19 AM
I worked stats in the other gym. Some great hoop, and games were played seriously.

MU new guys.
Duane Wilson - very smooth with the ball and very good looking shot. Had some real nice battles with Carrington Love from Pius / UWGB. Only one game, but scored a bunch and looked good. Also had some great fast break dunks / passes. Athletic and smooth.

McKay - Very athletic. Rebounds and some put back jams and fast break jams as well. Shot form looked good, but didn't really look for a shot away from the hoop.

Johnson - Unfortunately Otule didn't play so he didn't have a comfort zone with team. Athletic with good move to the hoop. Hit some outside shots, but has a no traditional release. Distributed the ball well. Had to play some D as he was playing against a team with Jerry Smith, Ricky Franklin and Myles McKay - three very good players with a lot of professional experience. Good for him to play against that level of talent.

Not a new guy, but Jamil Wilson brought his team back in a close game with some absolutely tough shots.
I would add that on numerous possessions, Johnson was the only guy on his team that was getting back and playing D.

Father Dan's Camera
07-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Forgot to mention Juan, he played more aggressively and looked to shoot. One time however during a break in play Bo Ellis said "Juan, this is summer league, take that shot"

pbiflyer
07-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I am just happy IWB finally didn't have to imagine seeing games!

Markedman
07-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Juan looked noticeably bigger through the chest and shoulders to me. Might have gotten taller too......

MU/Panther
07-13-2013, 07:06 PM
It was good to see IWB, MUBasketball, and Dodds. Who was the guy doing the announcing in the main gym? He was pretty funny. Jimmy Lemke from PantherU

MU/Panther
07-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Juan looked noticeably bigger through the chest and shoulders to me. Might have gotten taller too......

Somebody else said that today as well.

MUBasketball
07-13-2013, 10:27 PM
It was good to see IWB, MUBasketball, and Dodds. Who was the guy doing the announcing in the main gym? He was pretty funny.

I thought it was annoying. Much prefer music while playing than commentary over the loud speakers. I assume it was a one night thing since there was music in both gyms today.

MUAlphaBangura
07-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Was at a function last night attended by Juan. Said he has gained 9 lbs. so far this summer. Also said he and Jake are going to London in August, but wasn't specific as to what they were doing.
Don't want to be a downer with all the observations, but have to mention that Jameel McKay really needs to get stronger fast. I know this league isn't necessarily about defense, but Jameel was totally overmatched while playing defense against Dewante(sp?) Wade. Now Wade is a very strong, skilled player, but imo it was a total mismatch. Loved everything else about Jameel though.

Phantom Warrior
07-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Wade is better than anyone McKay will play against this year, by far. He is big, strong, quick, savvy, and skilled. Besides that, McKay will not be defending other teams' 5's. Davante and CO will have that task.

A few teams we play may have one post player who is big and strong, but few, if any, teams will have a 4 who possesses anywhere near the size and strength of Wade. St. John's may be the only team we'll face that can put two physical, talented players on the floor together at the 4 and the 5.

A year from now we may need Jameel to play some 5, but that gives him a year to bulk up. I'm really not concerned about him for this year. In fact, I think he is going to give opponents fits when they try to match up against him. His length, his quickness, his hops, and his relentlessness will more than make up for his present lack of bulk/strength.

MU/Panther
07-14-2013, 02:37 PM
I thought it was annoying. Much prefer music while playing than commentary over the loud speakers. I assume it was a one night thing since there was music in both gyms today. The normal guy was back on Saturday in the main gym.

MUBasketball
07-14-2013, 02:58 PM
The normal guy was back on Saturday in the main gym.

Yeah I noticed that, like I said it looks like it was just a one night fill-in thing.

MUfan12
07-14-2013, 10:00 PM
I sure hope someone got video of Deonte Burton's two dunks to end their game on Saturday. That cat is a vicious dunker.

JohnnyRev
07-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Just got back from hip surgery rehab to Marquette this afternoon, and I cannot wait to see the pro-am this coming weekend. From rehab, I've been following your reports on our players, new, current, and graduated and I really want to see them for myself. Minnesota Jeb will be driving us for Saturday games. I hope most (if not all) the players show, though I realize that Taylor is out - I really hope Chris Otule is back. I also look forward to seeing many of you I know, such as IWB and his extended family and Dobbs. I'd also like to meet some of you I don't know (at least not by your current pen names).