PDA

View Full Version : How many miles does an NBA player run each game?

CaribouJim
07-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Just heard a discussion on 670 The Score here in Chicago - don't know if I've ever heard this ever quantified for B-Ball. No wonder Noah has crappy feet.

Knowing Buzz is huge on metrics of all kinds, does anyone know if he measures this in any way? Just curious.

http://5ksandcabernets.com/2013/05/miles_run-nba-player-each-game/

Don't soccer players run up to 10 miles a game or thereabouts?

If someone has ESPN Insider Premium, I'd be interested in the content of the link - any MU players listed?

The Reptile
07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Soccer players, depending upon the position, go between 5-7 miles from a report I heard a few years ago.

IWB
07-13-2013, 12:28 AM
I don't buy it on soccer players, especially at that level - they are too smart. An idiot chasing the ball around the field all day yes, but smart guys know to stay the course. It is kind of like rugby. When I played rugby in college, the first few games I logged dozens of miles - then I realized there is no reason to run across the field as the ball would be back on my side in 20 seconds - took me three games, problem solved.

An inexperience soccer player? Sure, a true veteran - no way.

MUMac
07-13-2013, 05:15 AM
I don't buy it on soccer players, especially at that level - they are too smart. An idiot chasing the ball around the field all day yes, but smart guys know to stay the course. It is kind of like rugby. When I played rugby in college, the first few games I logged dozens of miles - then I realized there is no reason to run across the field as the ball would be back on my side in 20 seconds - took me three games, problem solved.

An inexperience soccer player? Sure, a true veteran - no way.

Much of the movement for a soccer player is a slow jog or walking, when the ball is not in play near them.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
07-13-2013, 01:15 PM
I've seen the 5-7 mile stat as well and it does seem a little high. But I was also a central defender who probably does the least amount of running out of any field player. The amount of running is VERY dependent on the position. If you're a midfielder I would say that # is very obtainable.

pbiflyer
07-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I've seen the 5-7 mile stat as well and it does seem a little high. But I was also a central defender who probably does the least amount of running out of any field player. The amount of running is VERY dependent on the position. If you're a midfielder I would say that # is very obtainable.

7 miles in 90 minutes? 11.5 minute miles? And that is assuming no breaks in the action. Doubt it.

TheSultan
07-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Probably not that far-fetched according to this:

http://beta.active.com/soccer/soccer-articles/how-far-do-you-run-during-a-soccer-game