PDA

View Full Version : Some Tidbits on ESPN vs. FS1 from SI Media Circus

CaribouJim
07-08-2013, 05:17 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130707/rece-davis-espn-ray-lewis-nba-countdown/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

E. Give me a one sentence, bold sports media prediction for 2014?
Best: John Smoltz will succeed Tim McCarver as Fox's lead MLB analyst.
Hruby: An anonymous ESPN executive admits that the company is delighted by the launch of Pac-12 rights-sharing frenemy Fox Sports 1 because now NBC Sports Network will never amount to anything - denying parent company Comcast any additional leverage against ESPN during carriage fee negotiations.
Jones: Gregg Popovich quits as coach of the Spurs to become a sideline reporter for ABC/ESPN.
Kramer: Cable operators will find a way to offer local sports packs for subscribers who are traveling out of market (or it will be more unusual to find a sporting event that isn't being streamed than one that is.)
Lepore: Fox's MLB package will average lower ratings in the regular season than NBC's NHL package, and no game of the World Series will draw a larger audience than the least-watched game of the NBA Finals.
Littal: Every mainstream media website will have a TMZ style sports section on their home page that will be more popular than anything else on their site.
Loh: The new Fox Sports network will prove a worthy contender for ESPN.
McIntyre: ESPN rivals will look to unearth the next Bill Simmons - a non-mainstream media voice with the ability to discuss about topics fans can relate to.
Miller: Watch as multiple sports outlets vie for the services of Keith Olbermann and Chris Berman will let it be known that his current ESPN contract will be his last full time deal -- with anyone.
Ourand: The NFL will sell its out-of-market Sunday Ticket rights to a non-traditional media outlet like Microsoft for Xbox.
Schwartz: Fox Sports 1 will start to make a dent into ESPN viewership.
Yoder: Fox Sports Live beats SportsCenter head-to-head at least once in the ratings showing FS1 is a legitimate alternative to ESPN for sports fans.

Just curious, anyone know the details of the Pac 12 FS1 and ESPN "rights sharing" arrangement? Does it include basketball or just football?

MU/Panther
07-08-2013, 07:17 PM
In 2012 the Pac-12 deal started with ESPN, Fox & the Pac-12 Networks. ND at Stanford is on Fox this season, so it's not like ESPN gets the major games and the average stuff goes to Fox.

FS1 will have a two hour pre-game show this fall.
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/07/08/fox-sports-bolstering-college-football-tv-coverage-pregame-show-opposite-espns-gameday-and-hiring-clay-travis/

ziggysfryboy
07-08-2013, 08:27 PM
If FS1 picks up either Berman or olbermann, I'm gonna be pissed.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
07-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Olbermann I could live with. He's better as a sports guy than as a news guy. Berman would make me want to shoot myself.

ziggysfryboy
07-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Olbermann I could live with. He's better as a sports guy than as a news guy. Berman would make me want to shoot myself.

Olberman is more of an olbermann guy than a sports or news guy.

Markedman
07-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Olberman has burned every bridge he has ever driven over......can't believe Fox would be stupid enough to hire him.

Berman is just awful......plenty of talent out there...you don't have to go for big names.

IWB
07-10-2013, 12:20 AM
I do like that I am seeing Fox Sports 1 commercials already. And, the Brewers game that was on national TV/Fox a few days ago, they never said it was "Fox", they produced the entire thing as "Fox Sports 1"

Fox is going balls out already, good to see.

TheSultan
07-10-2013, 08:16 AM
ESPN's ratings are slipping already without a rival. I just posted this on Scoop, but NBC Sports tried but cheaped out on rights fees leaving them with a few niche sports that speak to niche audiences. Fox has built a broadcast network and a news network from nothing. And now they are trying sports at a time when ESPN is vulnerable. I am glad that the BE is going to be part of something new.

Markedman
07-16-2013, 11:26 AM
http://www.vuhoops.com/catholic-7-news-analysis/2013/7/16/4528490/fox-sports-1-still-has-work-to-do-to-get-on-the-air-nationally