Dec. 17 Ball State
Dec. 21 New Mexico in Las Vegas
Dec. 28 Samford

Markedman
07-08-2013, 10:14 AM
New Mexico in Vegas?

TedBaxter
07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
At Wisconsin the first Saturday in December?

ge1974
07-08-2013, 11:05 AM
New Hampshire is the 20th. At Creighton Dec. 31st.

TheSultan
07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
I think the Creighton game he is referring to above is a possible match up in the Wooden Legacy.

MU/Panther
07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
At Wisconsin the first Saturday in December? Most time it's the 2nd weekend.

MU/Panther
07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
New Hampshire is the 20th. At Creighton Dec. 31st. UNH on the MU facebook said Nov. 20 or 21. Creightion is also part of the Wooden Legacy.

bleedbluegold03
07-08-2013, 11:44 AM
bummed we couldn't lock down UCLA as well, maybe next year

ge1974
07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
UNH on the MU facebook said Nov. 20 or 21. Creightion is also part of the Wooden Legacy.

On the Gomarquette website it says New Hampshire is Wed. Nov 20th. Also, I was referring to the Big East opener at Creighton.

TheSultan
07-08-2013, 11:59 AM
bummed we couldn't lock down UCLA as well, maybe next year

I'm not saying they still have a chance for UCLA, but there is still some room left on the schedule for a quality opponent. Assuming the UW game is Dec. 7 or 14, you have the opposite weekend plus a couple of weeknight opportunities. I know a number of those will be of the non-conference patsy type...

bleedbluegold03
07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
add UCLA, and our FULL schedule is probably harder than last year's; considering we played 2 FF teams last year, that's saying something

MU/Panther
07-08-2013, 01:12 PM
MGM Grand Garden Classic (Albuquerque Journal and White and Blue Review)
Dec. 20-21: Las Vegas

Dec. 20
Colorado vs. Oklahoma State
Portland vs. Bradley

Dec. 21
New Mexico vs. Marquette
Bradley vs. Pacific

Markedman
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
ASU just got better. Picked up Jermaine Marshall from Penn State....eligible immediately per Rothstein

MU/Panther
07-08-2013, 03:46 PM
ASU just got better. Picked up Jermaine Marshall from Penn State....eligible immediately per Rothstein I thought ASU was pretty good last year.

MUMac
07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm not saying they still have a chance for UCLA, but there is still some room left on the schedule for a quality opponent. Assuming the UW game is Dec. 7 or 14, you have the opposite weekend plus a couple of weeknight opportunities. I know a number of those will be of the non-conference patsy type...

I linked it a week or so ago, but UCLA has already released it's non-conference Schedule. MU is not on it.

MUBasketball
07-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Let's hope Buzz fares better against Bill Herrion (current New Hampshire coach) than Crean did when he was at East Carolina. Granted, always smoked them in Milwaukee, but Greenville was a house of horrors!

TheSultan
07-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Marquette announced this morning that UW game is December 7. I would make a crude Pearl Harbor Day joke here, but I'm too busy to come up with anything clever.

MU/Panther
07-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Two trip in a row at Madison, that it's the first weekend in December. Boooo!

ziggysfryboy
07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Two trip in a row at Madison, that it's the first weekend in December. Boooo!

The UW scholar-athletes now need 2 weeks to study for exams.

TheSultan
07-09-2013, 10:49 AM
The UW scholar-athletes now need 2 weeks to study for exams.

I hear that Marquette basketball players don't even need to take finals.

TheSultan
07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
UW game will likely be early afternoon....they host a hockey series that same weekend.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
07-09-2013, 04:28 PM
My initial thoughts...

Obviously Ohio State, Arizona State, New Mexico, and Wisconsin are all solid adds to the schedule. Southern loses a lot but should still compete for the SWAC title. Both Grambling and New Hampshire are questionable adds at best.

I really hope ASU and Creighton are on the opposite side of the bracket from us. I'd like to see George Washington or Charleston in our Wooden opener, and hopefully Miami and San Diego State in the other two games. Admittedly, Creighton would be cool for early league bragging rights, but I figure we'll see them twice this season anyway.

What I really want is a home-and-home with Notre Dame. Based on this we have 3 open dates left. I have a feeling if ND was going to be on the schedule, we'd know about it by now. With that in mind, I'm just going to hope for top-200 RPI teams with the last 3 slots. We will likely have at least 3-4 top-50 teams in this, and a good chance at 6 top-100 teams. Fill the last 3 with buy games against teams in the 100-200 range. You get 16 home dates and only 2 real dogs. That'd make for a solid schedule.

MUMac
07-09-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't understand your comment about Grambling and New Hampshire being "questionable adds at best." They are buy games. Nothing wrong with those at all.

kneelb4zerg
07-09-2013, 07:20 PM
I don't understand your comment about Grambling and New Hampshire being "questionable adds at best." They are buy games. Nothing wrong with those at all.

Questionable because of likely RPI drag. As long as there aren't too many of those we should be alright.

MUMac
07-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Questionable because of likely RPI drag. As long as there aren't too many of those we should be alright.

Looking at the schedule as we know it, they will likely be the lowest RPI teams MU has. That is why I questioned it. Two bad RPI teams on the schedule is fine. "questionable adds at best" seems awfully strong and I do not agree with that comment. MU needs the home games and will have buy games. Some buy games/teams will be RPI drags. Everyone has them and MU always has as well.

kneelb4zerg
07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Looking at the schedule as we know it, they will likely be the lowest RPI teams MU has. That is why I questioned it. Two bad RPI teams on the schedule is fine. "questionable adds at best" seems awfully strong and I do not agree with that comment. MU needs the home games and will have buy games. Some buy games/teams will be RPI drags. Everyone has them and MU always has as well.

But we don't know who the rest of the buy games will be yet.

MUMac
07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
But we don't know who the rest of the buy games will be yet.

So let's get our bitching in early then, I guess. :rolleyes:

We know the majority of the schedule. I think it's a damn impressive nonconference schedule. I see no reason for the comment I cited.

kneelb4zerg
07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
So let's get our bitching in early then, I guess. :rolleyes:

We know the majority of the schedule. I think it's a damn impressive nonconference schedule. I see no reason for the comment I cited.

You can have buy games that aren't RPI 300+ games. Those are questionable games. I'm not even the one who made the comment but I would prefer zero of those type of games. I'm sure that is easier said than done.

MU/Panther
07-09-2013, 09:30 PM
All buy games are not all the same. Cost and dates come into play.

07-09-2013, 11:57 PM

With our conference taking a step down, it's going to be harder to maintain our RPI. You need wins, but wins against teams ranked 150-250 at home are just about as easy to come by as games against sub-250 teams, but when it comes to RPI drags, are far less damaging.

I realize it's not destructive, but when it comes to RPI, every non-con game matters. Adding teams that will likely be below 250 in the RPI are games that have questionable value because win or lose, they will drop your RPI. I commend the work Broeker and company have done, and overall I'm pleased with what we've seen so far, but if the 3 remaining games are against teams of that ilk, we will almost certainly see our seed suffer because of it unless we have 4 or fewer total losses.

IWB
07-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Buy games are an odd deal. Bill Cords and Tom Crean always felt that you want to try to predict which teams will finish at the top of their conference. Of course there is no guarantee, but that is what they shot for. On the other hand, Buzz seems to want to reward relationships. And, with all of the places he has coached, who knows why he is scheduling who. Two years ago former MU grad assistant/video guy Logan Bean went to Northern Colorado and is put in charge of scheduling - MU is immediately has Northern Colorado on the schedule.

Bottom line is that Buzz pays more attention to the RPI than anyone I have ever known, but he will toss it all in a heartbeat in favor of a relationship.

Buzz is Buzz, and as soon as you question what he does scheduling-wise, you find out that the questionable team has a manager who's next door neighbor used to be a manager for a coach that was the assistant coach for a head coach for an assistant that Buzz used to work with 20 years ago. Ted Baxter is the only one who can figure it all out, but I assure you, no matter what team, the tie-in is there.

MU/Panther
07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Non-Schedule schedule

Nov. 8 Southern
Nov. 12 Grambling
Nov. 16 Ohio State
Nov. 20 or 21 New Hampshire
Nov. 25 @Arizona State

Nov. 28, 29 & Dec .1. Wooden Legacy
Arizona State
Cal State Fullerton
College of Charleston
Creighton
George Washington
San Diego State
Miami

Dec. 7 @ Wisconsin
Dec. 14 IUPUI
Dec. 17 Ball State
Dec. 28 Samford

unclejohn
07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
I see what you are saying, but sometimes you just have to find someone to fill in the schedule. Crean scheduled Grambling a couple of times, and had Savannah State and IUPU-FW on the schedule as well. In both cases, they were in their first couple of years of D-1 play and they were terrible. The reason they were there is that they had to fill up their schedule with somebody and were willing to play at our place when we wanted them for cheap. Not the best thing for your RPI, but sometimes you just have to fill holes in your schedule. Hopefully, you play enough good teams to make it balance out. I think this schedule does that.

Nukem2
07-10-2013, 09:47 AM
MU is really releasing its schedule oddly. Nothing at gomarquette.com other than an updated schedule link. A little blurb on Facebook about November and nothing on twitter. Even Hunt's article/blog today is rather oddly written.

Goose85
07-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I think at that time Savannah State was coached by former MU player Eddie Daniels.

I think the non conference schedule looks pretty good, just unfortunate how the home games work out.

Home: Ohio State
Road: ASU, Wisconsin
Neutral: 3 games in Wooden, New Mexico

TheSultan
07-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Non-Schedule schedule

Nov. 8 Southern
Nov. 12 Grambling
Nov. 16 Ohio State
Nov. 20 or 21 New Hampshire
Nov. 25 @Arizona State

Nov. 28, 29 & Dec .1. Wooden Legacy
Arizona State
Cal State Fullerton
College of Charleston
Creighton
George Washington
San Diego State
Miami

Dec. 7 @ Wisconsin
Dec. 14 IUPUI
Dec. 17 Ball State
Dec. 28 Samford

So much for my hope that they would get another high level opponent. I think this is a schedule that is really going to give this team some challenges. Ohio State at home...road games at ASU and Wisconsin...plus neutral games against decent opponents is going to set this team up well for the BE season.

ge1974
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Looks like Ball State instead of UCLA. Oh well, the dream continues. Its still an excellent non-conference schedule.

Nukem2
07-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Looks like the days of UW-GB and UW-M are gone...?

kneelb4zerg
07-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm not an expert on how some of these teams will be next year, but too many 250 plus RPIs (going on last year's rankings): Grambling (347), IUPUI (329), Samford (291), New Hampshire (293).

MUMac
07-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Looks like Ball State instead of UCLA. Oh well, the dream continues. Its still an excellent non-conference schedule.

I do not believe that is accurate. I believe the UCLA or Duke game that fell through was replaced by a buy game. Ball State, from what I had heard, was always going to be on the schedule.

I am guessing the Duke/UCLA game in NYC killed both for MU.

Nukem2
07-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Last year's RPI ( per final official NCAA RPI ):
3-New Mexico
9-Ohio St.
31-Wisconsin
94-Arizona St.
172-Southern
233-Ball St.
291-Samford
293-New Hampshire
329-IUPUI
347-Grambling St.

WoodenTourney:
4-Miami
23-Creighton
35-SanDiego St.
94-Arizona St.
145-College of Charleston
148-George Washington
270-Cal St. Fullerton

MU/Panther
07-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Dec. 17 vs. Ball State is during finals week. When was the last time MU played during finals week?

TheSultan
07-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Dec. 17 vs. Ball State is during finals week. When was the last time MU played during finals week?

Finals week is the week prior.

http://www.marquette.edu/mucentral/registrar/cal_acadcal1314ugrd.shtml

MU/Panther
07-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Finals week is the week prior.

http://www.marquette.edu/mucentral/registrar/cal_acadcal1314ugrd.shtml That is news to me, that finals are a week early. I'm shocked.

Litehouse
07-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Are both OSU and ASU home-and-homes? So we're going to OSU next year, and ASU is coming here? I asume New Mexico is a one-time deal.

TheSultan
07-10-2013, 12:20 PM
That is news to me, that finals are a week early. I'm shocked.

This year classes end on Dec. 7 and finals on Dec. 14
Last year classes ended on Dec. 8 and finals ended on Dec. 15.
The year before, classed ended on Dec. 10 and finals ended on Dec. 17

MU/Panther
07-10-2013, 12:59 PM
This year classes end on Dec. 7 and finals on Dec. 14
Last year classes ended on Dec. 8 and finals ended on Dec. 15.
The year before, classed ended on Dec. 10 and finals ended on Dec. 17 I do recall last year, since I work at the Dental School. The difference is last year UW-MU was the 2nd weekend in December. I hate when UW-MU falls on Championship Saturday in college football. The viewership is not there.

TheSultan
07-10-2013, 01:02 PM
I do recall last year, since I work at the Dental School. The difference is last year UW-MU was the 2nd weekend in December. I hate when UW-MU falls on Championship Saturday in college football. The viewership in not there.

Agreed. The good news is that it will likely be early afternoon due to Wisconsin hockey having a home series that weekend. That gets it out of the way from the SEC and B10 championship games.

MU/Panther
07-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Are both OSU and ASU home-and-homes? So we're going to OSU next year, and ASU is coming here? I asume New Mexico is a one-time deal. Marquette will be at Ohio State in 2014 and the Sun Devils will coming to the Bradley Center.

MGM Grand Garden Classic (Albuquerque Journal and White and Blue Review and GopherHole.com)
Dec. 20-21: Las Vegas

Dec. 20
Colorado vs. Oklahoma State
Portland vs. Bradley

Dec. 21
New Mexico vs. Marquette
Bradley vs. Pacific
Portland vs. Princeton

MU/Panther
07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Agreed. The good news is that it will likely be early afternoon due to Wisconsin hockey having a home series that weekend. That gets it out of the way from the SEC and B10 championship games. Odds are the game will land on the Big Ten Network. Plus, the Pac-12 title game moved from Friday to Saturday.

MU/Panther
07-10-2013, 03:24 PM
MU is really releasing its schedule oddly. Nothing at gomarquette.com other than an updated schedule link. A little blurb on Facebook about November and nothing on twitter. Even Hunt's article/blog today is rather oddly written. I do like it better that MU did over three days, than the one game per day that last over 2 weeks. I don't understand the lack of breaking down each school, that was something gomarquette.com did before.

07-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Last year's RPI ( per final official NCAA RPI ):
233-Ball St.
291-Samford
329-IUPUI

I won't pretend to not be disappointed. We now have 5 potential teams (6 with Cal State Fullerton) that have a decent shot of being sub-250 RPI teams. That is very dangerous regarding seeding. There is cream at the top, but that's a lot of curd dumped in with it.

Ball State returns most of their team, and while they likely won't have a shot at winning the MAC, they likely will improve on last year's 8-8 finish. Samford is a bit of a boom or bust team. They were bad last year, no two ways about it, but everyone that played significant minutes was a freshman or sophomore and they still finished 9-9 in conference. They play by far in the easiest division in the Southern, so a notable improvement is possible. IUPUI simply isn't very good. Along with Grambling, they look like a near sub-300 lock.

I'm disappointed by our schedule. In recent years it's been obvious Mike Broeker has worked hard to improve the bottom and middle as well as the top of the schedule, and once the numbers are crunched, those games are just as important, if not more so. This is a veteran team with a ton of talent. We don't need this many bottom of the barrel opponents, especially in mid to late December when they should be hitting their stride.

Nukem2
07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
I do like it better that MU did over three days, than the one game per day that last over 2 weeks. I don't understand the lack of breaking down each school, that was something gomarquette.com did before.The process was sloppy. The games simply showed up on the Schedule link at gomarquette.com with one Facebook entry re November with nothing on the website main page. I expect a little better organization and presentation and information. The media staff gets an F on this one.

TheSultan
07-11-2013, 09:36 AM
The process was sloppy. The games simply showed up on the Schedule link at gomarquette.com with one Facebook entry re November with nothing on the website main page. I expect a little better organization and presentation and information. The media staff gets an F on this one.

See I thought the process before was a bit of an overkill....with the releasing of one team per day. I wonder how much interest that truly generated and if they simply decided to focus elsewhere.

Nukem2
07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
See I thought the process before was a bit of an overkill....with the releasing of one team per day. I wonder how much interest that truly generated and if they simply decided to focus elsewhere.What did they focus on...?

TheSultan
07-11-2013, 10:00 AM
What did they focus on...?

No idea. But I doubt they are just sitting around doing nothing.

Goose85
07-11-2013, 10:04 AM
What did they focus on...?

Possibly the work they need to do for the new conference, who knows. No conference offices yet so all of the schools are still working on conference related tasks. Now this may have nothing to do with it, but I'm sure those conference tasks are taking some resources from what MU would normally be doing.

MU/Panther
07-11-2013, 01:41 PM
I do like the fact we got the non-conference schedule in 3 days, compared to over a two week period, like they did in the past.

MU/Panther
07-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Wooden Bracket
http://espn.go.com/pdf/2013/0716/ncb_woodenlegacy_bracket.pdf

MU-Fullerton 3:30pm on Turkey Day

MU/Panther
07-25-2013, 09:34 PM
UNH game is now on Nov. 21.

MU/Panther
08-06-2013, 07:40 PM
The Milwaukee Bucks schedule is out, so how does this open the door for times for MU home games on Saturday's. Still waiting on the Admirals schedule.

Nov. 16 vs Ohio State will be a day game. Bucks play at the BC at night. Game might fall down to FS2 for the game.

Dec. 14-IUPUI, no Bucks

Dec. 28-Samford, day game. Bucks play at the BC at night.

Jan. 4- no Bucks

Jan. 11 no Bucks

Jan. 18- no Bucks

Jan. 25- Bucks play at the BC at night.

Feb 1- no Bucks

Feb 8- Bucks play at the BC at night

Feb 15- All Star Weekend

Feb. 22- Bucks play at the BC at night.

March 1- Bucks play at the BC at night.

MUBasketball
08-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Do Admirals get priority over Marquette? That sucks if so.

sailwi
08-06-2013, 10:10 PM
I know the Admirals used to have priority when the Pettit's who in essence built the BC owned the team but I think that changed a few years ago.

unclejohn
08-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Worse, Marquette used to have to get in line behind the Wave as well.

Father Dan's Camera
08-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Wave plays at US Cellular

MUMac
08-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Wave plays at US Cellular

The comment was in past tense, when the Wave played at the BC.

IrwinFletcher
08-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Saw a tweet today that I hand't heard of before.

Big triple header at the Garden on the Eve of the Super Bowl in NY. First game, MSU and Gtown. Second game, Marquette and STJ. Wrapped up in a bow with the Heat and the Knicks.

Should be great exposure on the Fox Networks.

TheSultan
08-08-2013, 08:27 AM
My understanding is that tt isn't really a triple-header. It's a college double-header followed in the evening by a NBA game that requires a different ticket. That would be like calling days when MU plays in the afternoon followed by a Bucks game at night a "double-header."

CaribouJim
08-08-2013, 09:29 AM
My understanding is that tt isn't really a triple-header. It's a college double-header followed in the evening by a NBA game that requires a different ticket. That would be like calling days when MU plays in the afternoon followed by a Bucks game at night a "double-header."

OK - that makes sense - I asked that question on the premium board - wouldn't make sense to have 3 consecutive games. So it is like a day of the opening round of the NCAA's - multiple sessions - next to impossible to get a hotel room at this date for the college fans though.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-08-2013, 10:53 AM
That's gonna be an expensive weekend for whoever goes. With the Super Bowl in town I'm sure there will be a premium added to the already high rates NYC normally gets.

MU/Panther
08-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Courtesy of FOX Sports’ landmark 12-year multi-platform media rights agreement with the BIG EAST Conference beginning this academic year, FOX Sports 1 is carrying a spectacular SUPER SATURDAY HOOPS doubleheader on Saturday, Feb. 1, featuring Marquette vs. St. John’s (12:30 PM ET) and Michigan State vs. Georgetown (3:00 PM), live from legendary Madison Square Garden in New York City on the eve of Super Bowl XLVIII.

Litehouse
08-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Hopefully they can get some nice shots of DWade on the sidelines at MSG.

WarriorsNuffSaid
08-22-2013, 02:48 PM
The Milwaukee Bucks schedule is out, so how does this open the door for times for MU home games on Saturday's. Still waiting on the Admirals schedule.

Nov. 16 vs Ohio State will be a day game. Bucks play at the BC at night. Game might fall down to FS2 for the game.

Dec. 14-IUPUI, no Bucks

Dec. 28-Samford, day game. Bucks play at the BC at night.

Jan. 4- no Bucks

Jan. 11 no Bucks - Admirals at night

Jan. 18- no Bucks

Jan. 25- Bucks play at the BC at night.

Feb 1- no Bucks - Admirals at night

Feb 8- Bucks play at the BC at night

Feb 15- All Star Weekend

Feb. 22- Bucks play at the BC at night.

March 1- Bucks play at the BC at night.

Admirals schedule out.

MU/Panther
08-28-2013, 01:25 PM