PDA

View Full Version : Holy ****....Brad Stevens to the Celtics!

Markedman
07-03-2013, 04:41 PM
http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013-14/releases/20130703gp8h85

Nukem2
07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Good luck to Stevens as he'll need it with these Celtics. He'll make a boatload of money, but lowly NBA teams are not kind to college coaches new to the NBA. A tough blow for Butler and the BE.

MayorBeluga
07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Did...Not...See...That...Coming.

Blow to the new Big East as we need identifiable coaches to build the brand. Well, at least his last loss at Butler was to Marquette.

TedBaxter
07-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Matt Graves taking over?

Tough time for the program considering they are joining a new conference, the freshman are just arriving and AAU/summer camps start up next week.

Markedman
07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
He will make a boatload of money and if he fails he can always come back to college (ie Pitino and Cal)........never saw him as an NBA kind of guy but the Celtics job has always been a good one even if they are rebuilding now

CaribouJim
07-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Thought he was waiting out for Duke. Huge shocker.

Mark Miller
07-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Stunned. Wow.

Next Butler coach? Tim Buckley? Greg Gard? Ben Jacobson? Others?

Mucrisco
07-03-2013, 05:05 PM
That stinks.

CaribouJim
07-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Ironically, if it wasn't for an MU alum leaving his coaching post with the Celts...

Mark Miller
07-03-2013, 05:08 PM
His last game at Butler was a loss to Marquette.

TedBaxter
07-03-2013, 05:09 PM
I'd be surprised if they don't elevate Graves to at least the interim tag for next year at this stage to keep the program going.

kneelb4zerg
07-03-2013, 05:09 PM
This should be an eye opener for those who think Buzz wouldn't dream of going to the NBA someday.

CaribouJim
07-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Jay Bilas insinuating that Butler going from the Horizon to the A-10 to the Big East might have had something to do with it????

MayorBeluga
07-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Jay Bilas insinuating that Butler going from the Horizon to the A-10 to the Big East might have had something to do with it????

Which makes no sense whatsoever. Is Bilas implying Stevens is afraid of competing in the NBE? So he goes to the NBA instead?

TedBaxter
07-03-2013, 05:13 PM
He's taking an NBA job, not a college job.

GOMU1104
07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
LaVall Jordan. Michigan Assistant. Butler Alum.

IWB
07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Ironically, if it wasn't for an MU alum leaving his coaching post with the Celts...

He didn't leave, he was traded.

MU_Iceman
07-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't mind this at all actually...It just makes things easier for MU going forward as far as dominating the conference goes and winning conference titles, Ala Memphis but in a better conference. Recruiting was never Stevens's thing. He's a developer of talent, but not a recruiter. Some specualtion he may have realized he'd have to recruit better now being in a tougher conference, and he just knew he probably couldn't get in the kind of talent necessary. Good luck to Brad!

Markedman
07-03-2013, 05:31 PM
If you take an interim coach you lose a whole recuiting class. Nobody is going to sign until they know who is going to be coaching them.

TedBaxter
07-03-2013, 05:35 PM
If you take an interim coach you lose a whole recuiting class. Nobody is going to sign until they know who is going to be coaching them.

Then you are going to have to hire an assistant coach unless another college head coach is going to screw his current school over during the recruiting time. Do you hire Graves now or hire another assistant from another school?

MU_Iceman
07-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Bo Ryan to Butler?? Why not?? :D

Markedman
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Jake Query ‏@jakequery 26m
Reached @LaVall_Jordan, who would have to be a lead Butler candidate. He declined to comment.

Markedman
07-03-2013, 05:51 PM
6 years 22 million........that is quite a raise from what he was making at Butler....

TedBaxter
07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Matt Graves took the South Alabama job.

ValiantSailor
07-03-2013, 06:50 PM
This move is a shocker, but in thinking about it, I'd rather lose Stevens now, than a year from now, where it could be thought of as a failure of the conference.

VS

milkbone
07-03-2013, 06:59 PM
The Butler board wants Lavall Jordan. He is now ast at Mich, was at Iowa. He is an alum of Butler.

MUMac
07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
I must say that I never saw this one coming. He really has put Butler in a tough spot, which I never thought he would do. I can't see him in the NBA, long term, but he will make a boatload of money even if he fails.

Butler took a chance on Stevens and it paid off. I hope they find similar success.

Gato78
07-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Wardle to Butler.

Markedman
07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 4m
http://ESPN.com has learned that Butler will act extremely fast to fill Stevens' spot. Assistants are in play to replace him

MUMac
07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 4m
http://ESPN.com has learned that Butler will act extremely fast to fill Stevens' spot. Assistants are in play to replace him

Someone on scoop posted they would have an announcement this evening. Perhaps they were prepared for this. Stevens did seem interested in UCLA and other opportunities of late.

The Reptile
07-03-2013, 07:44 PM
"Oh, No! We suck again!"

- Rob Schneider in The Waterboy
- Butler fans today

warriorfan4life
07-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Butler won with Collier, Matta, and Lickliter prior to Stevens. I think Jordan could be an outstanding hire and maybe even jump start Butler's recruiting.

ziggysfryboy
07-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Someone on scoop posted they would have an announcement this evening. Perhaps they were prepared for this. Stevens did seem interested in UCLA and other opportunities of late.

Or he's a class act who let the AD know that this was in play prior to today and didn't wait until the AD and president were on planes for the word to get out.

lj854
07-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Or he's a class act who let the AD know that this was in play prior to today and didn't wait until the AD and president were on planes for the word to get out.

AD said that they didn't find out until earlier today at their press conference tonight.

Markedman
07-03-2013, 09:08 PM
They had a press conference but no announcement other then Stevens leaving.

mufan2003
07-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Andy Katz reported Stevens had been approached by several NBA teams in the past and specifically mentioned the Memphis Grizzlies and Atlanta Hawks. Said Stevens loved Butler and would only leave for a few jobs. Celtics were obviously one, can't argue with the Celtics' history of success.

mufan2003
07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Will be interesting to see if this turns into the Rick Pitino sequel, "Celtics fans....Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale are not walking through that door." As Pitino coached losing season after losing season with the Celtics until he returned to college.

Especially now with Celtics trading away KG and Paul Pierce. Also mentioned on ESPN that Rajon Rondo's personality is tough to deal with. Doc had a tough time and Ray Allen supposedly did as well.

Goose85
07-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Makes Buzz, JT3, Wright that much more valuable to the new Big East.

TheSultan
07-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Butler won with Collier, Matta, and Lickliter prior to Stevens. I think Jordan could be an outstanding hire and maybe even jump start Butler's recruiting.

I agree with this. I think Stevens is a good coach, but he is replaceable.

Halo
07-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Makes Buzz, JT3, Wright that much more valuable to the new Big East.

Was going to post the same. You can bet the new BE commish is circling the wagons with the BE Presidents saying they better ensure the top coaches are being taken care of. Buzz's value just went up and MU's leadership will feel the pressure to ensure he's taken care. A very good thing for MU.

MUBasketball
07-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Was going to post the same. You can bet the new BE commish is circling the wagons with the BE Presidents saying they better ensure the top coaches are being taken care of. Buzz's value just went up and MU's leadership will feel the pressure to ensure he's taken care. A very good thing for MU.

I highly doubt reps from Fox are checking in on the President's and AD's to make sure they are taking care of their head coaches. Even if they were, I highly doubt by doing so Larry would suddenly become pals with Buzz.

MUBasketball
07-04-2013, 12:13 AM

I agree with this. I think it has to be Jordan. Stevens apparently had Butler in the lead for Indianapolis prospect Trevon Bluiett, who is a Top 50 kid. Excitement is high for Butler right now, bringing in someone with good recruiting chops is a wise choice right now. Hopefully this guy can coach. I would imagine being a Butler guy, and also learning under Beilein the past few years, means he's pretty capable.

IWB
07-04-2013, 01:22 AM
I highly doubt reps from Fox are checking in on the President's and AD's to make sure they are taking care of their head coaches.

I don't know that it was Fox as much as the conference members, but I can tell you that this has been specifically addressed at a high level conference meeting."

Agree with Goo that this makes Buzz, JT3 and Jay Wright that much more of a need.

What I heard backs up the comment about the presser, Butler had no idea until it came out.

warriorfan4life
07-04-2013, 01:35 AM
I agree with this. I think it has to be Jordan. Stevens apparently had Butler in the lead for Indianapolis prospect Trevon Bluiett, who is a Top 50 kid. Excitement is high for Butler right now, bringing in someone with good recruiting chops is a wise choice right now. Hopefully this guy can coach. I would imagine being a Butler guy, and also learning under Beilein the past few years, means he's pretty capable.

I think that recruitment had actually swung Michigan's way (with UCLA a serious presence due to Bluiett's high school coach joining Alford's staff). If Butler gets Jordan, I think they have a better chance to land Bluiett.

TedBaxter
07-04-2013, 05:12 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130703/SPORTS0605/307030117/Timing-Brad-Stevens-move-pros-could-damage-Butler-s-recruiting

http://zagsblog.com/articles/stevens-to-celtics-whos-next-at-butler/

MUMac
07-04-2013, 06:36 AM
I highly doubt reps from Fox are checking in on the President's and AD's to make sure they are taking care of their head coaches. Even if they were, I highly doubt by doing so Larry would suddenly become pals with Buzz.

Where did Halo mention Fox? He said the BE Commish and I would bet the BE Commish would have involvement here.

dubs98
07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Lavall jordan is thought of highly out here in michigan. From all indications in the indy papers and butler boards it appears he is the lead candidate with brandon miller (also former player and assistant) also in the running. i would guess that if it is one of those two, someone will be hired by tomorrow. collier is moving quickly with his search, especially in light of the timing. As warriorfan mentioned, hiring jordan would certainly help with bluiett, as I believe he is michigan's lead recruiter for him. This could be a significant signing for two reasons. 1) obviously a highly regarded player who keeps getting better 2.) would make a bold immediate statement that butler ball is not going anywhere and would also possibly help sway other recruits who may doubt butler after stevens' departure. obviously you don't want to hire a coach based on a recruit or two, but all indications are that jordan is a highly respected coach.

MU/Panther
07-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Which makes no sense whatsoever. Is Bilas implying Stevens is afraid of competing in the NBE? So he goes to the NBA instead?

Good point! Plus, a Boston team that will now not have the big three anymore.

MUMac
07-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Lavall jordan is thought of highly out here in michigan. From all indications in the indy papers and butler boards it appears he is the lead candidate with brandon miller (also former player and assistant) also in the running. i would guess that if it is one of those two, someone will be hired by tomorrow. collier is moving quickly with his search, especially in light of the timing. As warriorfan mentioned, hiring jordan would certainly help with bluiett, as I believe he is michigan's lead recruiter for him. This could be a significant signing for two reasons. 1) obviously a highly regarded player who keeps getting better 2.) would make a bold immediate statement that butler ball is not going anywhere and would also possibly help sway other recruits who may doubt butler after stevens' departure. obviously you don't want to hire a coach based on a recruit or two, but all indications are that jordan is a highly respected coach.

Not that either are comparable, but this reminds me of Stan Van Gundy/Sam Okey. This is an important hire for Butler, and to a smaller extent, the Big East. I have confidence Butler will get it right.

dubs98
07-04-2013, 09:18 AM
just checked the michigan and indeed jordan is the lead recruiter for bluiett. mumac, i don't remember the stan van gundy/okey bit. what was the story with that? i will be surprised if it is not jordan given butler's history of hiring.

mufan2003
07-04-2013, 10:29 AM
ESPN SportsCenter this morning, talking with Jeff Goodman.....Goodman says he has confirmed Jordan will meet with Butler AD either today or tomorrow. Got a hunch that if Jordan wants it Butler will have a new coach by tomorrow or Saturday.

mufan2003
07-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I like Brad Stevens, hopefully has a better experience in Boston than Pitino had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRik9erWgQ8

MUMac
07-04-2013, 10:41 AM
just checked the michigan and indeed jordan is the lead recruiter for bluiett. mumac, i don't remember the stan van gundy/okey bit. what was the story with that? i will be surprised if it is not jordan given butler's history of hiring.

When Stu Jackson left Wisconsin, Okey was one of the top recruits in the nation. He had committed to UW and Van Gundy was the lead recruiter. Okey, as I recall, made comments that if Van Gundy was not the choice, he would take his game (and outside habits that were learned later) somewhere else. UW hired Van Gundy. The Badgers were coming off of their first NCAA appearance since 1947 (that is why to badger fans, basketball started in the mid '90's). Van Gundy had a losing record and was canned after one season. They had decent talent with Finley and Griffith as the top players. Van Gundy was not ready to be a coach. The hire was to get Okey, who ended up being miscast in Dick Bennett's system for two seasons before transferring to Iowa.

dubs98
07-04-2013, 11:58 AM
thanks mac

TedBaxter
07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130704/SPORTS0605/307040028/Butler-basketball-coaching-search-down-Miller-Jordan

Miller just returned to the program this April, so neither he or the other finalist, Lavell Jordan, have recruited any of the current players. I believe Barry Collier recruited Jordan to Butler, so does Jordan have the advantage?

dubs98
07-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Reading the butler boards, everyone over there wants Jordan. He has much more experience, was recruited by and is familiar to Collier (as you noted), and just so happens to be the lead recruiter for Michigan for a big time kid out of Indianapolis for whom Michigan and butler are the two leading teams. I think unless something weird goes down in the interview, Jordan will be their coach.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130704/SPORTS0605/307040028/Butler-basketball-coaching-search-down-Miller-Jordan

Miller just returned to the program this April, so neither he or the other finalist, Lavell Jordan, have recruited any of the current players. I believe Barry Collier recruited Jordan to Butler, so does Jordan have the advantage?