PDA

View Full Version : Landing Alexander could reverse trend of teases for DePaul - Trib Article

CaribouJim
07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Was MU ever after this guy?

BTW, DePaul also formed a panel to help choose architect for the proposed new arena. Still hoping to have it built by the fall of '16. I saw one architect's name in the running - a George Costanza I believe. Not familiar with his work, but someone advised me that he worked on the refurbishment of some famous art museum in NYC - I guess it "didn't take him too long either".

In any event, the better the DePaul program becomes, the better for the conference - both players and facilities and IMO you can throw in a third - a coach.

By Shannon Ryan, Chicago Tribune reporter
5:50 p.m. CDT, July 2, 2013

When Simeon basketball star Jabari Parker was weighing his college choices, he had his pick of almost any program in the nation as dozens of high-profile coaches made pilgrimages to Chicago to try to lure the 6-foot-8 forward.

The fact his hometown school was in consideration raised the hopes of long-suffering DePaul fans who wished maybe, just maybe, Parker would spurn recent national champions and Hall of Fame-bound coaches to help revitalize the faded program.

Instead, Parker made a predictable — and many would say logical — choice by selecting Duke.

"He wanted to stay close to home with family and friends," his father, Sonny Parker, said. "It was a difficult choice. He took his time and didn't sign until late. They couldn't have done anything more or better."

It has become a familiar line from top Chicago players who tease the Blue Demons before opting for perennial powers.

Simeon's Derrick Rose, a well-known homebody and now the star of the Bulls, whittled his myriad options to four that included DePaul but ultimately chose Memphis.

Anthony Davis, a late bloomer from Perspectives Charter, was ranked No. 1 in the Class of 2011 and received attention from DePaul but chose Kentucky, where he won an NCAA title and national player of the year awards as a freshman before becoming the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft.

"You're playing for a national championship if you land those guys," said Mike Irvin, coach of the Mac Irvin Fire AAU team.

DePaul fans are holding out hope again. This time, they have pegged Curie's Cliff Alexander as the potential game-changing recruit for the Blue Demons, who have gone 7-83 in the Big East the last five seasons.

It might be different this time with some momentum on their side.

Alexander, ranked No. 2 nationally by ESPN.com and No. 4 by Rivals.com, recently included DePaul in his top 10. When the 6-8 forward talks about the Blue Demons, he doesn't sound like a player obliged to show love for his local team. He sounds serious.

"They've recruited me really strong," said Alexander, whose list also includes Illinois, Arizona, Baylor, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Memphis and Michigan State. "It's my home school. The coaching staff is great. They can get the ball rolling next year. It would be great to be playing in Chicago."

The restructured Big East, which consists of 10 basketball-centric programs, could be attractive for recruits.

DePaul's arena location has been a frequent topic of conversation. But with plans to abandon cavernous Allstate Arena in Rosemont for a $170 million, 10,000-seat arena at McCormick Place in 2016, the tone has turned from negative to positive.

"One of the clear obstacles we've had in terms of recruiting and even marketing the local area has been talk about our facility," coach Oliver Purnell said. "It takes away an objection a lot of people had. It gives us something to sell. We are selling our great institution, the city of Chicago, a new facility, a new league that's all about basketball."

Alexander is well aware of the incoming recruits DePaul has signed, and he's pleased.

Billy Garrett Jr., the son of Blue Demons assistant Billy Garrett Sr. who helped lead Morgan Park to the Class 3A state championship, is expected to help the recruiting dominoes fall. Rivals.com ranked him as the No. 22 point guard in the nation, and he's the program's first top-100 recruit since 2007.

Tommy Hamilton Jr., a 6-9 center from Young and IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., is a three-star recruit. Myke Henry, a 6-6 forward and former top-100 recruit out of Orr, transferred from Illinois.

"It could get real ugly," Alexander said — and he meant that in a good way.

Asked what it will take to land top Chicago players, Purnell pointed to Garrett and said: "We already have one. It has started. We've been working at that awfully hard. The proof's in the pudding."

Goose85
07-03-2013, 10:05 AM
I didn't realize that Tommy Hamilton was going there.
It would be great if DePaul could land Alexander. He's a one and done, but that would give the league a lot of juice and a ton of momentum to DePaul.
I hope they get it done.

Markedman
07-03-2013, 10:30 AM
I think they have 2 chances of landing Alexander……1. Slim……you can guess what 2 is…..

WindyCityGoldenEagle
07-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Agreed with Marked----I dont see this one happening. I say he chooses MSU (even though I'm biased).

Goose85
07-03-2013, 10:50 AM
I too agree with Markedman, but it would be nice for a school like DePaul to get a shot.