PDA

View Full Version : Creighton Guard Granted 6th Year

Goose85
07-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Good news for Creighton as Grant Gibbs was granted a 6th year of elligibility. Otule has company in the league.

This should help Creighton, and with the first year of the new Big East, the conference needs as many tournament teams as possible.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9444744/grant-gibbs-creighton-bluejays-gets-sixth-year-eligibility

Markedman
07-02-2013, 02:07 PM
In related news...the best player in the Big East is now a walk-on......

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-07-02/doug-mcdermott-walk-on-creighton-all-american-grant-gibbs-case-sixth-year

Nukem2
07-02-2013, 02:13 PM
While I agree that it is good for the BE to have a stronger CU, I really question the NcAA on this one. Guy had a redshirt year and a transfer year of his own free choice. That he had an injury and an elective surgery within those years is quite something else. Tim Abromaitis of ND had a much stronger case last year and was denied.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Some on twitter are saying this makes Creighton the favorite for next year in the BE... Hopefully Buzz and the gang are reading this and it helps put that chip on their shoulders that Buzz' teams have always had... Gibbs may be good, but this is a whole new level, I think MU should be the favorite but I think Creighton, MU, Xavier, Georgetown, Nova, and possibly Providence can be tournament teams this year... Should be a strong year.

Nukem2
07-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Some on twitter are saying this makes Creighton the favorite for next year in the BE... Hopefully Buzz and the gang are reading this and it helps put that chip on their shoulders that Buzz' teams have always had... Gibbs may be good, but this is a whole new level, I think MU should be the favorite but I think Creighton, MU, Xavier, Georgetown, Nova, and possibly Providence can be tournament teams this year... Should be a strong year.
SJU is going to be very good as well.

unclejohn
07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
The whole thing is kind of funny. Clearly, the McDermotts are going to get taken care of one way or another. Either Creighton is going to give Dad a bonus at the end of the season for making the tournament or something or at least Son is going to sign an NBA contract for enough money to make a year's tuition chump change and pay Dad back. Ethically, I have no problem with either of these. That seems fair enough, and is quite a bit less wrong than football players in the SEC and elsewhere driving luxury cars on campus and parents getting jobs from boosters, but it is funny that this is legal and a female athlete in California cannot wash her car on campus.

Nukem2
07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
The whole thing is kind of funny. Clearly, the McDermotts are going to get taken care of one way or another. Either Creighton is going to give Dad a bonus at the end of the season for making the tournament or something or at least Son is going to sign an NBA contract for enough money to make a year's tuition chump change and pay Dad back. Ethically, I have no problem with either of these. That seems fair enough, and is quite a bit less wrong than football players in the SEC and elsewhere driving luxury cars on campus and parents getting jobs from boosters, but it is funny that this is legal and a female athlete in California cannot wash her car on campus.Yes, it's not exactly going to be a hardship for the McDermotts.

MUMac
07-02-2013, 04:16 PM
The whole thing is kind of funny. Clearly, the McDermotts are going to get taken care of one way or another. Either Creighton is going to give Dad a bonus at the end of the season for making the tournament or something or at least Son is going to sign an NBA contract for enough money to make a year's tuition chump change and pay Dad back. Ethically, I have no problem with either of these. That seems fair enough, and is quite a bit less wrong than football players in the SEC and elsewhere driving luxury cars on campus and parents getting jobs from boosters, but it is funny that this is legal and a female athlete in California cannot wash her car on campus.

Nothing wrong, as the father is paying for it and the relationship was pre-established. I don't see the analogy with the girl washing her car. A better comparison is the basketball player or football player that has his tuition payed for by a Major League Baseball Team. MU benefited from that in the past.