PDA

View Full Version : The battle for NYC is officially underway

TulsaWarrior
07-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Both the ACC and Big 10 want a piece of the action. How does the Big East protect the turf?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/acc-welcomes-new-member-schools-in-new-york-city-063013

I have no doubt that Creighton, Xavier and Butler will draw well during the regular season but the conference tournament could be another story and you know attendance will send a massive message. Priority one for the league presidents and commissioner will be getting good crowds at Madison Square Garden.

In long term plans what additional schools could help the Big East solidify a NYC presence? As in the real estate business location is everything. MSG was a key factor in the emergence of the Big East at its inception. Can the ground be held?

Ironically -- Vegas has become a hot spot for conference tournaments with three leagues moving their tournament to different venues in the city. All three conferences have set attendance records with the move. Cheap flights and inexpensive hotel rooms are a key. The Missouri Valley's Arch Madness is another example of a central location and a city willing to make the event attractive by setting up special/affordable deals.

Because of perception the Big East can't give up MSG without taking an image hit so the only option is to make it work. That effort better be underway right now.

Interesting map: http://www.gocreighton.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1000&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&ATCLID=208338261

The Reptile
07-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Let them spend millions trying to penetrate the market because their product is going to alienate New Yorkers from day 1.

CaribouJim
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Where exactly is the Big East office now?

The Reptile
07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is an official office yet. I believe the commish is lives in the NJ suburbs so, for now, that's where it is unofficially.

CaribouJim
07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I hope it ends up in Manhattan then. Is MSG itself out of the question I wonder?

The Reptile
07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Ackerman was quoted as saying the office is her iPhone today, but will be in mid-town NYC as soon as they can find a suitable site. I'd provide a link but its too much of a pain on a mobile device.