PDA

View Full Version : Novak traded to Toronto

milkbone
06-30-2013, 06:51 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/213771441.html

MU Viking
06-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Bummer. Toronto is far from the big stage of Madison Square Garden.

IWB
07-01-2013, 12:31 AM
The Knicks fans loved "Novakaine" this is a rough one for fans in The Garden.

Goose85
07-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Novak was in the right place when Lin was point guard and Carmelo was hurt.
A great spot up shooter like Novak is wasted when you have Carmelo demanding, and never passing, the ball.

Toronto isn't the Big Apple, but basketball wise this is probably good for Novak.

TheSultan
07-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Part of the problem is that we would hear about and remember the good games, but he had a lot of games where he would have minutes and not score all that much. And since he isn't a great defender by any means, he ended up being pretty expendable. Bargnani has been hurt the last couple of years, but when he has been healthy, he can really score and has a more diverse offensive game. Not sure how teaming up with Melo is going to help him either though.

Gato78
07-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Melo is the ultimate black hole. Tremendously talented but not a team player. When he and JR Smith are in the lineup together, there are no assists to be had. They will not be a better team until Melo figures out he needs to be a team player. Novak played well for the Knicks. He spreads the floor and can play good NBA weak side defense. He has trouble with on the ball and post up defense. He is still a great offensive threat.

CaribouJim
07-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Part of the problem is that we would hear about and remember the good games, but he had a lot of games where he would have minutes and not score all that much. And since he isn't a great defender by any means, he ended up being pretty expendable. Bargnani has been hurt the last couple of years, but when he has been healthy, he can really score and has a more diverse offensive game. Not sure how teaming up with Melo is going to help him either though.

Novak had an almost record breaking year in '11-'12 season and finished first in % and he was a high volume 3pt. shooter. All things being equal, his shot was definitely off this year - I think he finished 10th this year (Wesley was 29th or 30th I think), but the absence of Linn and the playing with blinders on factor with Melo and J.R. Smith didn't help either. I watched a ton of Knicks games this year and I don't know how many times those two would go 1 against 3 barreling to the basket with Novak wide open in the corner or out on the perimeter all by his lonesome.

Is Novak a stellar defender - no, far from it, but there a lot of guys who aren't as well and there are some guys who can play D but can't put in the basket. Maybe he was expendable in this deal, but in general I think he is far from expendable - if used correctly he's hugely valuable asset - look what Green did for the Spurs in the finals.

I'm hearing the deal may have to be reworked as technically the deal was consummated past a deadline, but not hopeful Steve stays put.

TulsaWarrior
07-01-2013, 10:19 AM
CaribouJim said, "if used correctly he's hugely valuable asset" yep, so true.

If the trade sticks two good things come of it -- Novak is bound to be on a more team oriented squad and Marquette gets a higher profile in Toronto. (recruit assist?)

TheSultan
07-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Novak had an almost record breaking year in '11-'12 season and finished first in % and he was a high volume 3pt. shooter. All things being equal, his shot was definitely off this year - I think he finished 10th this year (Wesley was 29th or 30th I think), but the absence of Linn and the playing with blinders on factor with Melo and J.R. Smith didn't help either. I watched a ton of Knicks games this year and I don't know how many times those two would go 1 against 3 barreling to the basket with Novak wide open in the corner or out on the perimeter all by his lonesome.

Is Novak a stellar defender - no, far from it, but there a lot of guys who aren't as well and there are some guys who can play D but can't put in the basket. Maybe he was expendable in this deal, but in general I think he is far from expendable - if used correctly he's hugely valuable asset - look what Green did for the Spurs in the finals.

I'm hearing the deal may have to be reworked as technically the deal was consummated past a deadline, but not hopeful Steve stays put.

Sorry, but I don't buy into the theory that Steve Novak simply hasn't been used correctly. He's been on 5 teams in 8 years and has played for a likely hall of fame coach in the process.