PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Lutheran Warriors

Mucrisco
06-25-2013, 09:29 PM
I know this topic has been discussed over and over again, but I was at Wisconsin Lutheran, watching the summer league, and I saw that their nickname was the Warriors. Why can they keep that nickname?

Markedman
06-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Because they aren't in the NCAA.

MUfan12
06-25-2013, 10:04 PM
They're NCAA D3 I thought?

MayorBeluga
06-25-2013, 10:08 PM
When the NCAA started going after Indian nickname, they contacted WLC who pointed out they never had any connection to Indians. They also said it was "warriors for Christ" but the lack of historical connection was they key.

IWB
06-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Hendrix College in Arkansas is also the Warriors

Mucrisco
06-25-2013, 10:42 PM
They're NCAA and had a big NCAA sign in their field house.

MU/Panther
06-26-2013, 07:43 AM
I know this topic has been discussed over and over again, but I was at Wisconsin Lutheran, watching the summer league, and I saw that their nickname was the Warriors. Why can they keep that nickname?

Marquette can be the Warriors. You can't have that type of logo.

MUMac
06-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Marquette can be the Warriors. You can't have that type of logo.

The NCAA was broader than that. The release stated you cannot have "mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control"

TheSultan
06-26-2013, 08:09 AM
The reason MU dropped Warriors has no connection with the NCAA. They could reacquire the nickname tomorrow and run into no NCAA issues if they have the appropriate mascots and images.

MUMac
06-26-2013, 08:19 AM
The reason MU dropped Warriors has no connection with the NCAA. They could reacquire the nickname tomorrow and run into no NCAA issues if they have the appropriate mascots and images.

As I recall, the Pottawatomi had been come out against MU going back to the Warrior nickname. At the time MU considered it, the comments was that the history of Native American imagery was too strong. I doubt the NCAA would allow the use of Warriors for MU.

TheSultan
06-26-2013, 08:26 AM
As I recall, the Pottawatomi had been come out against MU going back to the Warrior nickname. At the time MU considered it, the comments was that the history of Native American imagery was too strong. I doubt the NCAA would allow the use of Warriors for MU.

There are multiple NCAA teams with Warriors as a nickname, many of which historically used native american imagery in the past. I think the NCAA would have a real hard case to make if the imagery is correct.

And it was the Red Cliff Band of Chippewa that protested. But my understanding is that it is some sort of agreement with the Pottawanomi, and the development of Valley Fields, that prevents MU from switching back.

MUMac
06-26-2013, 08:29 AM
There are multiple NCAA teams with Warriors as a nickname, many of which historically used native american imagery in the past. I think the NCAA would have a real hard case to make if the imagery is correct.

And it was the Red Cliff Band of Chippewa that protested. But my understanding is that it is some sort of agreement with the Pottawanomi, and the development of Valley Fields, that prevents MU from switching back.

Correct, but the comment in 2005 when MU considered going back to Warriors is that the Native American community would distinguish MU's use of Warriors with Willie Wampum and the hostility. That is why I do not believe the NCAA would allow MU to go back to Warriors. Had the Pottawatomi's embraced it in '05, it could have been done. Now, it is branded hostile in thei (NCAA) eyes.

Litehouse
06-26-2013, 09:17 AM
My understanding of the situation is similar to what Sultan describes. It has less to do with the NCAA, more to do with Potawatomi and concern from the administration that the name is "inextricably connected" to the imagery. I understand the decision, still think it's stupid, and would prefer the Gold or no nickname to Golden Eagles.

MUMac
06-26-2013, 09:34 AM
My understanding of the situation is similar to what Sultan describes. It has less to do with the NCAA, more to do with Potawatomi and concern from the administration that the name is "inextricably connected" to the imagery. I understand the decision, still think it's stupid, and would prefer the Gold or no nickname to Golden Eagles.

I know that is what is believed, but it was never confirmed. Even if true, you did not take it the fullest. The NCAA uses the term "hostile". Obviously, the Pottawatomi feel the use of "Warrior" with MU is hostile. Thus, the NCAA would have a problem with it and not allow it due to the feelings of the Pottawatomi. If the agreement with the Pottawatomi had a sunset provision or was ever breached, the NCAA would still not allow MU to use the nickname.

The question I have, though, is if that were true, why did MU and Wild ever consider returning to the Warrior nickname? The "rumor" dates back to the early 1990s, when MU initially changed the name from Warriors.

MayorBeluga
06-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Next up, a discussion of whether MU should bring back football...

Litehouse
06-26-2013, 09:47 AM
I think what you explain is ultimately the problem. Trying to go back opens up a huge can of worms, whether it's a challenge from the Potawatomi, or whatever. The NCAA would have a hard time preventing us from being the Warriors, since there are several other Warriors out there that dropped the imagery, but it would probably involve some type of fight and review process. In the end, the administration (Wild) looked into it and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Litehouse
06-26-2013, 09:48 AM

And buy back the Medical School too!

MUMac
06-26-2013, 09:48 AM

I think we should devote a new thread to that topic. I don't want to see this one hijacked!

IWB
06-26-2013, 09:59 AM
In the end, the administration (Wild) looked into it and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Not true, Wild did not decide it wasn't worth the hassle.

ge1974
06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
And bring back the underground tunnel to get from the south side of Wisconsin Ave to the north side at 13th st (by Schroeder Hall) . Wait...on second thought...perhaps not.

unclejohn
06-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Because one of the trustees hijacked graduation to bring up the subject and offer $1 million to change the name back. That forced the administration's hand. It had to bring up the subject, because one of the trustees had brought it up in public. And of course, the administration had to turn down the money so that it would not look like it was being bought. So the administration did its investigation and ran into opposition from the Native Americans, most particularly the ones the Jesuits serve in the Dakotas. It would have been nigh impossible for the administration to ask their opinion, be told very clearly that they would find the return of the old nickname offensive, and then do it anyway. There were rumors floating around before that suggesting that Wild might be amenable to the idea, but if he was going to do it, he was going to do it carefully, and make sure he had all bases covered. By forcing his hand, the Warrior supporters did not bring about the return of the nickname. Instead, they made it impossible.