PDA

View Full Version : New Unis this Year?

CaribouJim
06-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Wasn't this the 4th or 5th season with the same unis with the exception of some tweaks? Time to change things up - better to be too early than too late. MU has traditionally been a uniform trend setter and used to change unis every other year during Al's heyday - time to set a new trend and not like the unis that Adidas came up with the end of last year - something original and not so garish just for the sake of being garish.

Love our present colors for the most part - especially the gold, followed by navy blue, baby blue and last by far the whites - they look too washed out or something - at least in the version MU now has.

I haven't heard anything about new uniforms so I assume the status quo?

TheSultan
06-18-2013, 10:36 AM
This will only be the third season with these uniforms designed by Nike.

Goose85
06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
I do like our unis and am cool if they stay the same. I totally hate the stuff that Adidas came up with.

Speaking of our unis, I am curious about what others think about the AL on the jersey.

As someone who was growing up with Al as coach, I think it is a nice link to the past and something unique. Especially nice when guys like Raft are calling the game.

Is the AL a permanant part of the jersey, or is this something that is reviewed every season?
Do fans on this board like the AL on the jersey?

TheSultan
06-18-2013, 10:45 AM
I think they have stated that it is permanent...as permanent as anything really is. And I like it. A great nod to history, but in a very simple and elegant way.

CaribouJim
06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
This will only be the third season with these uniforms designed by Nike.

I would categorize those changes as tweaks at best - substantively the very same as the first year they had them.

TheSultan
06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
I would categorize those changes as tweaks at best - substantively the very same as the first year they had them.

Yeah I hear where you are coming from...just don't think we'd get a full redesign this soon.

If we did however, I could consider going with the minimalist approach that Brooklyn Nets took this year. Still have the four colors, but with simple fonts, lack of trim and no striping.

CaribouJim
06-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah I hear where you are coming from...just don't think we'd get a full redesign this soon.

If we did however, I could consider going with the minimalist approach that Brooklyn Nets took this year. Still have the four colors, but with simple fonts, lack of trim and no striping.

I could live with that I guess and I do like the AL patch. I just think they are approaching the stale phase and combine that with the MU's new conference adventure this year I think the timing would be perfect for a new look.

I would like MU to get permission from the NCAA (if in fact they do need to get permission) this year to bring out the horizontal bumblebee unis for one game this year.

MUBasketball
06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Speaking of our unis, I am curious about what others think about the AL on the jersey.

I've stated this in the past, but I think MU overdoes it with the Al stuff, quite honestly. There's an entire athletic facility on campus with his name on it, the guys play on "Al McGuire Court", and they have "AL" on the jerseys. I think the building alone, along with the statue, is perfect. Anything beyond that is just overkill, I think. I'm sure others disagree.

IWB
06-18-2013, 12:43 PM
IIRC the "AL" on the jerseys was done for a specific game/event and Buzz made the call to make it permanent.

I don't think they should change the unis other than tweaks. They are recognized nation wide. When the Denver Nuggets unveiled their new unis a year ago, people nationally referred to them as "the Marquette style".

If those uniforms get kids across the country to recognize/identify/remember MU - run with it.

TheSultan
06-18-2013, 12:52 PM
IIRC the "AL" on the jerseys was done for a specific game/event and Buzz made the call to make it permanent.

Pretty sure it was Crean because they it on their jerseys during the Final Four season.

Westcoastwarrior
06-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Don't forget Al's picture on the back of the jersey too....

When the jersey are wet...there is the "see through" picture on the back with Al....which is not completely obvious because the players number covers most of it.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I think we can do one more year of the current ones, then on to another design.

The AL "patch" has been there awhile now as some others have referenced, I have an old Diener jersey that has it on their. That said I don't think the AL celebration is over the top, he is really the focal point of our best years, if Buzz were to stick around and continue on his current progression I could see having him recognized in similar ways.

MUMac
06-18-2013, 02:16 PM
I think we can do one more year of the current ones, then on to another design.

The AL "patch" has been there awhile now as some others have referenced, I have an old Diener jersey that has it on their. That said I don't think the AL celebration is over the top, he is really the focal point of our best years, if Buzz were to stick around and continue on his current progression I could see having him recognized in similar ways.

Having grown up in Green Bay with Lombardi and the Packers of the '60's, I understand both sides. You embrace success and history. For some, that is overwhelming. I disagree with MUBasketball and do not believe all the Al stuff is over the top. Without Al, Marquette may be St. Norbert College in terms of basketball. A great many people still identify Al with Marquette and Marquette with Al. For those of us that lived that era, the mention of Al brings a smile.

IWB
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Sultan - You may be correct on that. I remember it happening, just don't remember when it was.

unclejohn
06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
They added the "Al" under the collar right after Al died and have kept it since. After Hank died, they added patches that said Hank to the shoulders. I think they remained for the end of the season. I think what IWB might be talking about is the picture of Al on the back. I do not care for it myself. It is hard to see and I think it just clutters up the jersey, but I do not think it is a big deal

BLT
06-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Wasn't this the 4th or 5th season with the same unis with the exception of some tweaks? Time to change things up - better to be too early than too late. MU has traditionally been a uniform trend setter and used to change unis every other year during Al's heyday - time to set a new trend and not like the unis that Adidas came up with the end of last year - something original and not so garish just for the sake of being garish.

Love our present colors for the most part - especially the gold, followed by navy blue, baby blue and last by far the whites - they look too washed out or something - at least in the version MU now has.

I haven't heard anything about new uniforms so I assume the status quo?

Are you recommending belly jerseys? Pretty sure that fashion fad was a one minute wonder.

ziggysfryboy
06-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Are you recommending belly jerseys? Pretty sure that fashion fad was a one minute wonder.

Caribou channeling his inner Chris Zorich?

CaribouJim
06-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Caribou channeling his inner Chris Zorich?

Nah, I haven't bilked my own charity yet...a phony one at that.

MUMac
06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Nah, I haven't bilked my own charity yet...a phony one at that.

The Human Fund?

CaribouJim
06-19-2013, 10:15 AM
The Human Fund?

I donate to the Human Fund each and every year right around Festivus. Don't you?

Goose85
06-19-2013, 10:28 AM
A couple years ago for Festivus Gato made a donation to the Human Fund in my name. I believe he did the same for IWB and Hamostradamus. What a humanitarian.

Gato78
06-19-2013, 10:32 AM
For those who already have everything, a tidy donation to the Human Fund is the right thing to do.