PDA

View Full Version : Building a strong 12th man

Jimmy Lemke
06-08-2013, 07:59 PM
I recently met with assistant coach Kyle Zenoni of the men's soccer team, and he made a remark wishing there could be a way to make a truly strong 12th man (fan section) for the soccer program.

We both feel that it is long overdue that the university truly back the soccer team, and by that we mean the community needs to get behind the program. A great 12th man would go a long way towards making that happen.

So this is what I'm asking: how do we build one? Where do we start, how do we start? Soccer has always been a hard game to get students into; it's about damn time we made it a real priority, because somewhere down the line college soccer is going to be a major college sport. I want to jump the gun on it.

JoeHorning
06-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Its odd, because theres so many soccer fans at UWM already. During weekdays when the euro leagues are playing in the Gasthaus, its packed to the ceiling. And at any given time, some group is in the rec center always has Fifa checked out for the video games. you see the love for soccer everywhere, but we have to find a way to get those kids to Engelmann. I know Athletics already does givaways, but we need to promote them more. All those signs you see for basketball and free givaways are so noticeable. dont just have the sandwich board outside Golda saying theres a game, say youre giving away shirts or scarves. put hella flyers in the union.

Jimmy Lemke
06-08-2013, 09:36 PM
When I was a freshman, they did a super awesome giveaway where if you attended every soccer match during the season, you got a free jersey at the end of the year.

I know they're going to be giving away a scarf this year - a real one, not that pitiful three-foot long one they gave away a couple years ago.

Jimmy Lemke
06-08-2013, 10:54 PM
When the Saints go marching in could be redone so easily.

Oh when the Black...goes marching in, when the Black goes marching in...
You know I want to be a Panther, when the Black goes marching in
Oh when the Gold...goes marching in, when the Gold goes marching in...
You know I want to be a Panther, when the Gold goes marching in
The Black and Gold, the Black and Gold, the Black and Gold go marching in...
Let's go Black and Gold Eee-le-ven, the Black and Gold go marching in!

Jimmy Lemke
06-08-2013, 10:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usBR8iZZoCk

Kyle Rawling
06-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Let's Go Mil-wau-kee Pan-thers
(to the tune of Seven Nation Army)

Sounds like you were watching the Sounders tonight, Jimmy. Perhaps you heard some of these: http://www.weareecs.com/multimedia/songs

Kyle Rawling
06-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Oh, We are called The Engelmann Elite
And, you'll see that we don't ever leave our feet
It's the black and gold that you hear
Our bodies may be full of beer
So now it's time to show our guests defeat

(To the tune of She'll Be Coming 'Round The Mountain)
Eh. That one could use some tweaking, but I'm too tired.

Jimmy Lemke
06-09-2013, 02:32 PM
I love that one. The last line could use the work.