PDA

View Full Version : AJeseryGuy's Latest

ge1974
06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Not much really new. he does speculate that the Big East may be waiting for the NBA Finals to be completed.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6974

Here is a subset:

Word now has it that could possibly be another two weeks until a commissioner is chosen, crowned, announced, you pick the term. The two-week time frame is interesting because the NBA finals between the Heat and Spurs, if it goes 7 games, will end on June 20th–two weeks from Thursday

And while NBA connected names such as Celtic President Rich Gotham and NBA executive VP Stu Jackson and Mark Tatum have been mentioned, perhaps even interviewed, no white smoke from the Chimney’s of the leadership group led by Georgetown has been seen.

MUBasketball
06-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm a broken record, but this whole thing is a joke. The new conference beings in 25 DAYS and there is no commissioner, no staff, no office. This sounds like a tiny conference, SWAC-esque operation. What in the hell is the holdup?

TedBaxter
06-06-2013, 02:00 PM
How accurate is the Georgetown leadership reference again?

TheSultan
06-06-2013, 02:38 PM
I want to know how much work Beebe's group might be doing for the conference in the meantime.

I continue to hold out hope that this cant be an incompetent as ajerseyguy is maintaining and he doesn't have a full picture of what is going on behind the scenes. But maybe I am simply too optimistic. :p

Gato78
06-06-2013, 02:59 PM
It isn't incompetent by any means--and I have some good information. MU athletics admins are working this stuff out with the other conference members. There have been many, many back room meetings and conferences among the schools. From what I know, it is getting done and it is a lot of work--divided among the schools. Sounds like Georgetown and MU are in leadership roles. Schedules are being set, details of the Conference hoops tournament are being worked out. They are busting their tails but it sounds to me like things are falling into place. If aJerseyGuy thinks differently, he is likely mistaken.

BLT
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Saw that MU Volleyball has their schedule all set. Volleyball Conference Championship in Omaha. So, progress is being made for the Fall sports.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-volley/sched/marq-w-volley-sched.html

kneelb4zerg
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Shocked to learn that jersey guy is just a blowhard on this issue.

MUBasketball
06-08-2013, 03:19 AM
Jerssyguy is a blowhard BUT I'm tired of everyone dismissing this like its no big deal. They announced the split back in December and expedited a split from the Big East a year early...and 6 months later still no conference staff. Its a joke and I'm tired of people ignoring this issue.

kneelb4zerg
06-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Jerssyguy is a blowhard BUT I'm tired of everyone dismissing this like its no big deal. They announced the split back in December and expedited a split from the Big East a year early...and 6 months later still no conference staff. Its a joke and I'm tired of people ignoring this issue.

Why is it an issue? Do you really understand the ramifications or do you just love freaking out?

TheSultan
06-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Why is it an issue? Do you really understand the ramifications or do you just love freaking out?

Exactly. I am unsure exactly what the problem is here. Work is getting done. They'll get a commissioner and a staff hired.

BLT
06-08-2013, 10:28 AM
I am starting to think Beebe will be around for a year or permanently. While there were many knocks on him in the B12, I believe his strength is being a good administrator from his NCAA days and that appears to be what they want. Also, he did the Fox deal for the B12 so he may have some good faith there as it is clear that Fox will be calling the shots in Year 1. Why do I think that he will be around? The schools obviously don't think the commisioner is a priority and there seems to be steady progress behind the scenes on scheduling.

I guess the big question is what happens July 1 when the current Big East support staff goes away? Is there a deal to split the staff with the AAC?

MUBasketball
06-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks for proving my point.

Let's play a little hypothetical game. Let's say the new Big East had inherited Aresco and the staff in place. Let's say the AAC was like the Big East right now -- no commissioner, no office, no nothing. We'd all think they were crazy and wondering what the hell their problem is.

It's not supposed to be the responsibility of school AD staffs to handle scheduling and all the other responsibilities that go with running a conference. That's the responsibility of the league office and staff. I assume the 10 schools are highly frustrated with the current setup.

MU/Panther
06-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Saw that MU Volleyball has their schedule all set. Volleyball Conference Championship in Omaha. So, progress is being made for the Fall sports.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-volley/sched/marq-w-volley-sched.html I'm getting season-tickets for volleyball. MU has a very touch schedule. Penn State in Florida and USC & Florida coming to the Al!

TheSultan
06-08-2013, 01:07 PM
I am starting to think Beebe will be around for a year or permanently. While there were many knocks on him in the B12, I believe his strength is being a good administrator from his NCAA days and that appears to be what they want. Also, he did the Fox deal for the B12 so he may have some good faith there as it is clear that Fox will be calling the shots in Year 1. Why do I think that he will be around? The schools obviously don't think the commisioner is a priority and there seems to be steady progress behind the scenes on scheduling.

Beebe's problem is that he got caught in a power struggle between Texas and A&M, Nebraska, etc. He was the fall guy.

TheSultan
06-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Let's play a little hypothetical game. Let's say the new Big East had inherited Aresco and the staff in place. Let's say the AAC was like the Big East right now -- no commissioner, no office, no nothing. We'd all think they were crazy and wondering what the hell their problem is.

To be honest, I don't think I would think all that hard about it.

MUAlphaBangura
06-08-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm getting season-tickets for volleyball. MU has a very touch schedule. Penn State in Florida and USC & Florida coming to the Al!

A solid bargain at $30.00 for a season pass to watch NCAA tournament level competition. Very entertaining.

kneelb4zerg
06-08-2013, 02:09 PM

It's not supposed to be the responsibility of school AD staffs to handle scheduling and all the other responsibilities that go with running a conference. That's the responsibility of the league office and staff. I assume the 10 schools are highly frustrated with the current setup.

It's great when people just admit their own ignorance and lack of knowledge about certain topics. You should try it sometime!

MUBasketball
06-08-2013, 02:25 PM
It's great when people just admit their own ignorance and lack of knowledge about certain topics. You should try it sometime!

Whatever, forget it. There is clearly nothing wrong with not having a conference staff or office for something that starts up in 3 weeks. No problem at all!! Keep your head buried in the sand.

TheSultan
06-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Keep your head buried in the sand.

Just stop. Do you know anything about what is going on behind the scenes? Do you know what they have contracted with Beebe's group to do? Do you know what the priorities of the presidents are for the conference? Do you know what work Fox Sports might be doing to aid the conference?

My answers to these questions are...no...no...no...and no. I'm pretty sure that you would answer them similarly.

So it is hard for me to shriek from the rooftop when I have no idea what is going on.

Nukem2
06-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Yes, it is difficult to criticize when one has no facts. Though, it is appropriate tobe concerned given the short time frame without permanent leadership or staff. Guess we'll just have to see what transpires.

MUBasketball
06-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Though, it is appropriate to be concerned given the short time frame without permanent leadership or staff.

That's all I'm saying.

kneelb4zerg
06-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Whatever, forget it. There is clearly nothing wrong with not having a conference staff or office for something that starts up in 3 weeks. No problem at all!! Keep your head buried in the sand.

So what are you doing to solve this epic problem whilst my head is stuck buried in the proverbial sand?

MUBasketball
06-09-2013, 02:01 AM
So what are you doing to solve this epic problem whilst my head is stuck buried in the proverbial sand?

I love how this board is complete speculation. Everything we talk about is speculation. I'm simply speculating that it's a bad thing that there is no conference staff yet, THAT'S IT! I don't know how that can be argued. Maybe it's not as big of a crisis as I think it is, but it's not good regardless.

TheSultan
06-09-2013, 06:53 AM
In the long-run it of course a staff and commissioner need to be hired

But if the work is getting done anyway, why does it matter in the short-run? I think you are right that it isn't as big of a crises as you think it is.

MUMac
06-09-2013, 07:06 AM
I love how this board is complete speculation. Everything we talk about is speculation. I'm simply speculating that it's a bad thing that there is no conference staff yet, THAT'S IT! I don't know how that can be argued. Maybe it's not as big of a crisis as I think it is, but it's not good regardless.

It can be argued because none of us, including you, have a real read on what is actually happening. You assume the worst. I do not. Much has been done without a Commissioner. They have done much of the heavy lifting thus far, and appear to have done it well. It is not as dire as you portray it to be.

Phantom Warrior
06-09-2013, 07:43 AM
For actually implementing the league, hiring a staff is probably much more important than hiring a commisioner.

I spent 20 years in MPS, and for prolonged periods of time the Superintendent position was not filled. There was, of course, an "acting superintendent" until a full-time superintendent could be hired (kind of like Beebee with the Big East). The staff did what it did the same it would have had there been a superintendent.

It seems to me the place to start is to hire a Director of Personnel/Human Resources with experience in sports management. Then move on from there. Maybe that person comes from the old Big East or maybe from some other background. That can certainly be done without a full-time commissioner.

I do agree time is getting tight. Time to get the ball rolling on assembling an experienced staff. Commisioner, not as important.

TheSultan
06-09-2013, 07:48 AM
For actually implementing the league, hiring a staff is probably much more important than hiring a commisioner.

I spent 20 years in MPS, and for prolonged periods of time the Superintendent position was not filled. There was, of course, an "acting superintendent" until a full-time superintendent could be hired (kind of like Beebee with the Big East). The staff did what it did the same it would have had there been a superintendent.

It seems to me the place to start is to hire a Director of Personnel/Human Resources with experience in sports management. Then move on from there. Maybe that person comes from the old Big East or maybe from some other background. That can certainly be done without a full-time commissioner.

I do agree time is getting tight. Time to get the ball rolling on assembling an experienced staff. Commisioner, not as important.

I agree with this...and that could be the role that Beebe's group is playing.

BLT
06-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Men's and Women's soccer schedule out. Women hosting the BET at Valley Fields.

Goose85
06-14-2013, 09:07 AM
I must admit that I haven't seen a game at Valley Fields. How many fans can Valley Fields accomodate? I thoguht lax played at Hart Park because it could hold more fans.

mutpm
06-14-2013, 04:21 PM
The soccer field at Valley Fields can hold about 2,000 (maybe a little more). Lacrosse didn't play on the soccer field, the women played on the football field/track portion. That field has very limited seating, so that's why the men moved over to Hart Park.

MU/Panther
06-15-2013, 12:57 PM
The new Big East Conference circus continues as the July 1 start up date for the newly formed 10 school basketball driven conference approaches.

After more than two months of intensive searching for candidates as the league’s first commissioner, the new Big East hierarchy–led by Georgetown–has reshuffled the deck and come up with a new group of finalists.

They include former Big East associate commissioner and head of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament Dan Gavitt, former WNBA commissioner Val Ackerman and Big Ten Deputy Commissioner Brad Traviolia. Another candidate also may be included in this Final Four of finalists.

According to sources familiar with the process, all were interviewed by a Presidential group in the last two weeks, with a decision expected in the next few days and an announcement sometime next week.

Gavitt was the overwhelming favorite among the basketball coaches and athletic directors, who have not been part of the process, while Ackerman, with credentials as the first woman President of USA Basketball, is currently working as a consultant on women’s basketball for the NCAA. Traviolia has a Big Ten pedigree and has worked his way up through the Big Ten offices for the past dozen years and may emerge as the front runner, although the process remains murky in its details and direction.

The final interviews were reportedly held last weekend, presumably with a decision and acceptance coming in the next few days from one of the finalists in a search which has went in many directions as the Big East Presidents look for leadership in a league which will begin play this fall, presumably with a leader in place.

TheSultan
06-15-2013, 01:32 PM
All of these guys are better than Stu Jackson.

Phantom Warrior
06-15-2013, 02:10 PM
guys and gal?

TheSultan
06-15-2013, 03:36 PM
guys and gal?

I read "Val" as "Al." You are correct!