PDA

View Full Version : Big East Gets a Makover

ge1974
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Here is a link to CBS Sportsline regarding the Big East. Still no commish. MU #1.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22356781/conference-catchup-the-big-east-gets-a-makeover

Mark Miller
06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Good stuff. I still think Jamil Wilson is under-rated, though.

He has a chance to have a breakout senior season.

warriorfan4life
06-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I think Marquette and maybe Georgetown could be threats to go beyond the Sweet 16 next season. Also, both Villanova and St. John's will finish in top 5 and make NCAA Tournament. Many outsiders are overrating newcomers (Creighton especially, who I think finishes in 6-8 range) and are underrating Nova, St. John's, and Providence.`

dubs98
06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
I don't know a ton about creighton, but they return the best player in the conference. That alone should keep them in the top five. The rest of the team can not be that weak.

I think Marquette and maybe Georgetown could be threats to go beyond the Sweet 16 next season. Also, both Villanova and St. John's will finish in top 5 and make NCAA Tournament. Many outsiders are overrating newcomers (Creighton especially, who I think finishes in 6-8 range) and are underrating Nova, St. John's, and Providence.`

warriorfan4life
06-05-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't know a ton about creighton, but they return the best player in the conference. That alone should keep them in the top five. The rest of the team can not be that weak.

They got away with playing no defense in the Valley the past two years, but I do not see that flying in the Big East. Also, they may be the least athletic team in the new league, and their skill advantage will only go so far on many nights.

MUMac
06-05-2013, 01:54 PM

I think Jamil benefits the most by Vander's early departure. A chance to really take the team and lead the team. Demonstrate his talents. He has the tools, but now he can shine!

TulsaWarrior
06-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Todd Mayo comes in a close second if not first under the "benefits most by Vander's departure" category. ;-)

CaribouJim
06-05-2013, 04:25 PM

Would Jamil guard McDermott and vice-versa I wonder? Would be nice match-up.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
06-05-2013, 05:25 PM
"The Big East powers-that-be say they wanted a new league that was basketball-oriented. Prove it by sticking with 10 teams from here on out."

It can still be a bball oriented league with 12 teams----just need to make sure the additions are quality bball oriented and make sense for the conference if they go down that expansion road. I'm not saying they should, just making the point that the number of teams and "bball oriented" aren't mutually exclusive.

MUMac
06-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Todd Mayo comes in a close second if not first under the "benefits most by Vander's departure" category. ;-)

Nope, Jamil benefits most. This is now his team. He can carry it and run with it. It will not be Todd's team.

Goose85
06-06-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm biased and I'm looking through MU blue/gold/baby blue colored glasses, but I really think MU has a chance to dominate the league this season and make a deep NCAA run.

We have depth at every position.
We have size at every position.
We have scoring at every position.
We have defenders at every position.
We have players with experience (junior or senior) at every position (counting McKay as a junior).
We can match up with almost any type of team, yet cause matchup problems for almost anyone.

I think it will be Jamil's team, but despite having a great young class of guys coming in, there are veterans with leadership potential at every position on this team.

The teams Buzz has put together every year have been fun to watch for different reasons. This group will be no exception.

AlexJesswein
06-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Point guard play and outside shooting are the big question smarks

Phantom Warrior
06-06-2013, 10:37 AM
I'll have whatever you're drinking. "Dominate" the league? A whole lot has to go right to just win the league. An awful lot of questions.

1. Point Guard: I am bullish on Duane. I think he gets 24-25 mpg and plays well, but as a freshman, he will be inconsistent. Plus, assuming Derrick is the back-up, whether he actually starts or not, can he improve his offensive production? It's hard to play four on five on offense for 15-16 mpg.

2. 2 Guard: Can Todd become a consistent offensive threat and make good decisions? Can he hit 36% or more of his treys? I am not nearly as bullish about Todd as I am about Duane. He's had a few solid games, but too often he has seemed out of sync. Plus, while I am as bullish about Jajuan (IWB's spelling) as I am about Duane, he, too, will be inconsistent as a frosh. Will he be able to knock down his share of threes as a rookie.

3. Small Forward: A lot of people seem to expect Jamil to take over this year and make it his team. I have my doubts. He has shown he can be a very nice complementary player, but to step up his game and become the on-court leader he has to adopt a completely different mindset, and I'm not sure that's in his nature/personality. It could happen, I suppose, but I'm not counting on it. I don't know if he has the edge to make this his team.

4. Power Forward: I am extremely bullish on Jameel; I think he will be a major factor on this year's team. My question about him is whether or not he will be able to stay on the court and avoid foul trouble. His stats don't indicate a foul issue, but he is very aggressive and that could be a factor. As for Taylor, the question is whether or not his surgery will hold back his development. Hopefully, the impact won't be too great, but he will miss a lot of developmental time.

5. Center/Post: I think we are in great shape here. I don't know what the rest of the league has at this position, but I'm guessing we should be at an advantage in almost every game, though St. John's is very strong at the 5 as well.

We certainly have a shot at the league title, but GTown is also very talented, and the Hoyas are more experienced than we are. I think St. John's is also very talented. I think people are under-estimating them, especially with God'sgift and Sanchez joining Sampson and Obekpa up front.

I hope you're right, Goose, but I do think you're seeing things through Baby Blue lenses.

Nukem2
06-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Yep, SJU is going to be tough.

Goose85
06-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Of course I am Phantom, which is why I prefaced my comments to say as much.

I do think Georgetown and MU have a chance to dominate the league this season. A chance.

I think dominate means clear separation, not 18-0.

I can see MU and Georgetown with 14-4 records again this season. Did it last year with a much tougher conference schedule.

After MU / Georgetown I think there will be a drop off with many teams battling each other to get a better than .500 record (St. Johns, Villanova, Creighton, Xavier, Providence and Butler). I don't see any other team in our league with a real shot to do better than 16-4 or even close to it.

Do we have questions - you bet, much like every other team.

We lost Blue / Junior / Lockett - Georgetown loses Porter. With the exception of St. John's, I think everyone probably lost a starter.

We have one of the best recruiting classes in the country coming in this year, 3 top 100's and a JUCO all america. They should contribute.
Only Providence (according to scout) with Brandon Austin at #39 and St. John's with Jordan at #45 have a top 50 recruit.
Villanova has two top 100's in Hart at #64 and Jenkins #74, Xavier has Randolph at #81 and DePaul has Garrett at #96.

Burton, ranked #54, is expected to be third on our small forward depth chart. If we are worried our frosh will be inconsistent, what are the other nine teams in the league thinking about their incoming classes?

I think with our depth, we can overcome more adversity / injury than others in the conference. I think we (with Georgetown) have a real chance to separate from the pack in this league, and with the same league record as last year, dominate the standings. I actually think the league needs MU and Georgetown to do so to have at least two high ranked teams. I hope MU and Georgetown play on the last weekend for the league title.

DCwarrior
06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Point guard play and outside shooting are the big question smarks

Bingo! Especially the outside shooting.