PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Gee Retires

ge1974
06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I wonder what genius Ohio State will pick as its next school president.

MayorBeluga
06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I wonder what genius Ohio State will pick as its next school president.

Might be a step up for the embattled Rutgers AD.

IWB
06-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Funny how he said you can't trust Catholics in a year in which Ohio State was not Bowl Eligible because of they were not trustable.

What sucks about this is the guy is a complete pompous ass and deserved to be fired, yet he will get some sort of massive buyout/severance.

Goose85
06-05-2013, 09:02 AM
I wish the ND AD would have responded with "At least we don't have to lie and cheat to win football games."

CaribouJim
06-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Funny how he said you can't trust Catholics in a year in which Ohio State was not Bowl Eligible because of they were not trustable.

What sucks about this is the guy is a complete pompous ass and deserved to be fired, yet he will get some sort of massive buyout/severance.

And hasn't he previously won multiple awards as best college president?

TheSultan
06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
And hasn't he previously won multiple awards as best college president?

The basketball coach equivalent to Gordon Gee is Larry Brown.

The guy was first named a college president at the age of 37 when he went to West Virginia. He's been a very good president most of the places he has gone, but he has become kind of the epitome of a modern college president. They don't work there way up at one place any longer, but spend 5-7 years making big splashes, endearing themselves to alumni and donors, and setting projects in motion that seem like good ideas but aren't around long enough to determine if they were actually successful or not.

He apparently did well at Ohio State the first time around, failed miserably at Brown, succeeded spectacularly at Vanderbilt...and then came his second Ohio State venture where I think he's celebrity overwhelmed whatever accomplishments he may have had.

Markedman
06-05-2013, 11:47 AM
I long for the days when University presidents were seen and not heard............

TheSultan
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
I long for the days when University presidents were seen and not heard............

I'm not sure that was ever the case. In some measurements, the power of the campus president is less than it was a generation ago.

2013UnleashTheBeast
06-05-2013, 02:17 PM
The basketball coach equivalent to Gordon Gee is Larry Brown.

The guy was first named a college president at the age of 37 when he went to West Virginia. He's been a very good president most of the places he has gone, but he has become kind of the epitome of a modern college president. They don't work there way up at one place any longer, but spend 5-7 years making big splashes, endearing themselves to alumni and donors, and setting projects in motion that seem like good ideas but aren't around long enough to determine if they were actually successful or not.

He apparently did well at Ohio State the first time around, failed miserably at Brown, succeeded spectacularly at Vanderbilt...and then came his second Ohio State venture where I think he's celebrity overwhelmed whatever accomplishments he may have had.

In what world is a college president a "celebrity?" Their own mind?

TheSultan
06-05-2013, 02:27 PM
In what world is a college president a "celebrity?" Their own mind?

Under the definition of "celebrity":

Noun
1. A famous person.
2. The state of being well known: "his prestige and celebrity grew".

I'm talking about definition #2...not #1. Donna Shalala was a celebrity on the Wisconsin campus. Gee was a celebrity on the Ohio State campus...and in some parts nationally.

CaribouJim
06-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Andy Staples from SI backs Gee:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130604/gee-resigns-at-ohio-state-over-bad-jokes/index.html

Officially, Gee will resign on July 1. Officially, he didn't get the ax. But whether he was forced out or whether he simply decided he couldn't deal with the double-secret probation and babysitters monitoring his every speaking engagement proposed by the Board of Trustees in its "remediation plan," Gee's stand-up routine cost him his job. That's a shame.

He was a lousy comedian. That didn't make him a lousy university president.

Markedman
06-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Part of being a university president is not being viewed as a "lousy comedian"........You are the CEO of the university.....you have to act like it......

MUMac
06-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Andy Staples from SI backs Gee:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130604/gee-resigns-at-ohio-state-over-bad-jokes/index.html

Officially, Gee will resign on July 1. Officially, he didn't get the ax. But whether he was forced out or whether he simply decided he couldn't deal with the double-secret probation and babysitters monitoring his every speaking engagement proposed by the Board of Trustees in its "remediation plan," Gee's stand-up routine cost him his job. That's a shame.

He was a lousy comedian. That didn't make him a lousy university president.

And Romney was skewered for his 47% comment. The audience in today's world is everyone, not just those you are speaking to. Telling jokes or making comments that are religious, sexist, uncaring ... should be put away, as you stand the chance of losing big time.

CaribouJim
06-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Some suggested career changes for Gee - I vote for a South Park character for at least one episode. Talk about a skewering.

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/06/05/casting-call-a-suggested-career-change-for-ex-ohio-state-president-gordon-gee/?sct=hp_bf1_a5&eref=sihp