PDA

View Full Version : Trying to rise up the coaching ranks

IWB
06-04-2013, 11:24 AM
This is a very long, but a really good story about a coach trying to rise up the coaching ranks. Similar to Buzz' work ethic while trying to make it....

http://chronicle.com/article/Bounced-Around/139581#one

Hamostradamus
06-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Depressing story but something struck me. His texts were bad grammar and spelling (I know, I know) and had a sense of desperation that could not be ignored. I know the coaching ranks are small and that everybody knows everybody. If, after 10 years, he doesn't have a relationship with any head coaches willing to hire him, it may be time to consider he is passionate, but not a very good coach.

IWB
06-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I hear you Hamos, but if I were to show you the grammar and spelling of the texts I get from accomplished coaches, you wouldn't be surprised.

unclejohn
06-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Poor grammar is almost required in texts and tweets. It fits the medium. But it is hard to see if this guy has a future or not. One would think that assistants who make it to the top level of D-1 tend to last more than a year unless their boss gets fired, especially if they bring in the top recruit on the team. If he can't do that, he might not have the skills needed to cut it at the D-1 level in a very competitive field. Somebody compared him to Buzz earlier in this thread. If you trace Buzz's career though, he pretty much consistently moved up the ranks, from juco to assistant at a low level school to a pretty good mid-major to a major team to head coach, before coming to Marquette. He didn't go from high major to D-2 in a year.

Hamostradamus
06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
But the constant begging was not something I would look for in an assistant.

“Man just get any job,” Mr. McRoy wrote back. “I will help u win.”

“Hey coach, just seeing if there is any decision on your end,” he said. “Hoping u help pull me up?”

MUBasketball
06-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Totally random, but was anyone else annoyed reading that article with all the "Mr. ______" references. Just refer to people by their last name!

unclejohn
06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
It was in the Chronicle of Higher Education. Just an individual style thing. Those of us of a certain age remember when newspapers routinely referred to men by their last names and women as "Miss" or "Mrs. (last name).

IWB
06-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Yes, the "Mr." thing did Irritate me, but Hamos - this is a guy in a desperate situation calling out to friends for a job - look at his situation, he was texting calls for help.

Let's compare....

Is that as desperate as begging someone to give you a student loan to buy a suit and airline ticket, then sleeping on a hotel lobby couch and bathing in a bathroom sink for three days while handing out colored resumes? And then finally getting one nibble, driving a 1,000 miles only to end up sleeping in your car in front of a guy's house for two more days waiting for him to get home so you can tell him you really want the job?

One big difference. The guy in the story has a wife and four kids to take car of, the guy sleeping in the hotel lobby and in his car (Buzz Williams) had no one but himself to take care of.

Point is, Buzz' story is legendary, why is this guy's story not inspiring?

So, what I am asking, is how is this any different than the Buzz Williams approach, except the fact that this guy really was desperate, Buzz was just trying to get his first job?

Phantom Warrior
06-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Sorry, but the guy's first responsibility is to take care of his family. He's not 25 years old and single. He's 40 years old, and he has a wife and four kids who are struggling. You bring kids into this world, your first job is to take care of them.

His kids deserve to have their father around. His dream-chase negatively affects them - in a variety of ways.

I found that the further I read, the more disappointed I became in this guy. He's self-centered and selfish putting his desires above the very realistic needs of his family.

How's that for being judgmental?

TheSultan
06-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Point is, Buzz' story is legendary, why is this guy's story not inspiring?

I think Phantom hit on a couple of points. It is one thing for Buzz, a guy right out of college doing everything he can to get his first job. If he failed, he only really hurt himself. It is another thing for a guy with a family who has had multiple jobs to continue to chase the dream while he car is getting repossessed and his kids are having trouble in school. It's irresponsible and selfish.

And furthermore, when the guy only lasted a year at Iowa State, I came to the conclusion that he really isn't all that good at what he does...and/or he's kind of a dick.

IWB
06-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Yes, Phantom hit the nail on the head. And the one year at ISU raises several flags.

TulsaWarrior
06-05-2013, 04:36 PM
I had a lady show up for a job interview with a black eye and her arm in a sling. (She had been in a car accident the day before.) She flew into Dallas on her own dime -- was too young so the rental places wouldn't give her a car. She hitchhiked to the TV station. I figured if she could clear all those hurdles she might become a good reporter.

On a somewhat related note. I put off having kids so I could work on a career. Once the kids arrived being a dad was the top priority and impacted every job decision.

TheSultan
06-05-2013, 07:23 PM
I had a lady show up for a job interview with a black eye and her arm in a sling. (She had been in a car accident the day before.) She flew into Dallas on her own dime -- was too young so the rental places wouldn't give her a car. She hitchhiked to the TV station. I figured if she could clear all those hurdles she might become a good reporter.

How did it work out???