PDA

View Full Version : Comments from Buzz & players today....

IWB
03-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Marquette had availability today before they left for Louisville. I am rendering a few videos now, but it is taking forever, so I thought I would put a few comments out there.....

Buzz: he has slept about 2 hours the last two days. They will have 39 hours to prepare for their opponent, while the opponent will only have about 34 hours. The staff has done an incredible job of scouting both BYU & Iona, to the point where they were breaking it down and Buzz was running back and forth between offices to soak up as much as he could.

Jae: He and DJO have been doing their best to prepare the guys for the tournament, said he won't let the media, pressure or spotlight get to him or affect him in any way, as if it did, his preachings to the team would mean nothing if he didn't lead by example. He seemed calm and confident, but you can tell he knows how important this is. Said it didn't matter who they play, this is the best 64 teams in the country so everyone is good.

Jamil Wilson: Jamil is always so darn happy it has to make you smile. Said they haven't looked at the opponent yet, but knows the coaches have. He said the only things the coaches have told them is things that are similar, like "the PF on both teams do this", but he said that is minimal. He knows BYU did not lose much outside of Jimmer, and Iona likes to run. Asked what they have been doing, he mentioned the usual routine, minor adjustments to what they do, drills, conditioning. When asked about the conditioning, he said he knows when the opponent is getting tired. Said he usually likes to chat it up at the free throw line, as that is where you have a few seconds of down time, and he tries to get the opponents to talk as that is where he can really tell who is tired and who is not, basically who should be focused on.

One final note, you know how often I complain about local media members who never go to anything? Two of them showed today, one of which made his second appearance in all of the years I have been covering MU.

CaribouJim
03-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Marquette had availability today before they left for Louisville. I am rendering a few videos now, but it is taking forever, so I thought I would put a few comments out there.....

Buzz: he has slept about 2 hours the last two days. They will have 39 hours to prepare for their opponent, while the opponent will only have about 34 hours. The staff has done an incredible job of scouting both BYU & Iona, to the point where they were breaking it down and Buzz was running back and forth between offices to soak up as much as he could.

Jae: He and DJO have been doing their best to prepare the guys for the tournament, said he won't let the media, pressure or spotlight get to him or affect him in any way, as if it did, his preachings to the team would mean nothing if he didn't lead by example. He seemed calm and confident, but you can tell he knows how important this is. Said it didn't matter who they play, this is the best 64 teams in the country so everyone is good.

Jamil Wilson: Jamil is always so darn happy it has to make you smile. Said they haven't looked at the opponent yet, but knows the coaches have. He said the only things the coaches have told them is things that are similar, like "the PF on both teams do this", but he said that is minimal. He knows BYU did not lose much outside of Jimmer, and Iona likes to run. Asked what they have been doing, he mentioned the usual routine, minor adjustments to what they do, drills, conditioning. When asked about the conditioning, he said he knows when the opponent is getting tired. Said he usually likes to chat it up at the free throw line, as that is where you have a few seconds of down time, and he tries to get the opponents to talk as that is where he can really tell who is tired and who is not, basically who should be focused on.

One final note, you know how often I complain about local media members who never go to anything? Two of them showed today, one of which made his second appearance in all of the years I have been covering MU.

Pathetic

MU Viking
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Pathetic

Listened to Chuck and Wickett this morning (I know, I know, my mistake) because I wanted to see what the local buzz was about the team.

They had a segment where they broke down WWE Monday Night Raw, and they knew everything there was to know about this. Then they talked at length about Randy Moss going to San Francisco, a little about Matt Flynn, a big section about whether the Bucks should trade Jennings and Bogut, and finally got to the Tournament. Their breakdown of the Tournament was absolutely pathetic. Wickett basically admitted he knew nothing about New Mexico, BYU, and a whole host of other teams, and the analysis was so vague and bad that it was clear they rarely watch any college hoops.

On Monday, I also caught a segment where they "talked about" BYU and Iona, as well as Montana. They really had no idea about any of the three teams at that point, and it was clear they knew nothing more on Tuesday. Their analysis of the team was predictable and off whack too (Vander Blue major disappointment thus far, as has been Jamil Wilson; Marquette can't handle a press and are vulnerable to any team who employs one, etc.).

You would think that if you are a radio sports talk show host and had a couple of local teams of interest with 3 and 4 seeds in the Tournament, you would know the teams well and would be all over their opponents, ready to talk about Montana, BYU and Iona the following morning, or at the very least, by Tuesday morning. Lazy and pathetic.

It was clear they knew more about fake wrestling than anything of substance. Won't be listening to that crap again. Wickett in particular is a waste of space.

IWB
03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
That always kills me. I assure you, if I was on radio, I would have had all three teams broken down within an hour after the show. Geez, had either one of them actually been to the selection show, you would have learned enough to speak intelligently about those two teams after just listening to Buzz' Q&A, but they weren't there.

The worst was two years ago on a local radio station talking about the NFC Championship and the Bears. The host, who has his own show here in town, made a comment while on with a Packers "expert". Here is the gist of the conversation....

Host: "You don't even have to worry about covering the Bears' tight end as they rarely use him."

Expert: "What do you mean? The Bears line up with a double tight end?"

Host: Yeah, but one of them lines up at fullback at times, so you never even know if they actually have a tight end out there or not."

Expert: "What? Um...well... on defense Brian Urlacher....."

The host was such an embarrassment, that the expert changed the subject to avoid a colossal implosion.

Now I wouldn't expect many fans to know what the Bears do specifically, but if you have your own show, and not only are the Packers your #1 topic, but you watched them play the Bears twice that year, wouldn't you have a clue of what they do on offense?

MU Viking
03-13-2012, 07:03 PM
That always kills me. I assure you, if I was on radio, I would have had all three teams broken down within an hour after the show. Geez, had either one of them actually been to the selection show, you would have learned enough to speak intelligently about those two teams after just listening to Buzz' Q&A, but they weren't there.

The worst was two years ago on a local radio station talking about the NFC Championship and the Bears. The host, who has his own show here in town, made a comment while on with a Packers "expert". Here is the gist of the conversation....

Host: "You don't even have to worry about covering the Bears' tight end as they rarely use him."

Expert: "What do you mean? The Bears line up with a double tight end?"

Host: Yeah, but one of them lines up at fullback at times, so you never even know if they actually have a tight end out there or not."

Expert: "What? Um...well... on defense Brian Urlacher....."

The host was such an embarrassment, that the expert changed the subject to avoid a colossal implosion.

Now I wouldn't expect many fans to know what the Bears do specifically, but if you have your own show, and not only are the Packers your #1 topic, but you watched them play the Bears twice that year, wouldn't you have a clue of what they do on offense?

Summary of Mike Wickett talking about recruiting at Marquette a bit ago...

* He stated that Marquette couldn't get it done with any of the three top players in the state (Tokoto, Dekker, Showalter).
* He read the names and rankings of the players MU did sign (no mention that Steve Taylor was the best recruit in Illinois).
* He stated that MU would need to try to live off JUCOs if they couldn't get players like Tokoto, Dekker, Showalter.
* He said that "of course" Marquette signed another JUCO next year (no idea that TJ Taylor wasn't a typical JUCO).
* No mention (ie: no knowledge) of Burton, other top WI players in 2013, 2014, 2015.

The analysis is absolutely pathetic. I think "cursory" is being kind. That moron would rather talk forever about the Bucks and Triple H than do any sort of research on Marquette and Wisconsin. Lame. I gave it a shot for a couple weeks, but I won't be listening again.

IWB
03-13-2012, 07:06 PM
By the way, just a side note, one of the two mentioned above actually asked Jamil Wilson, "When Davante Gardner went down, did you have to adjust the way you were playing?"

Really? That was like two months ago. That question has been asked and answered weeks ago, a more relevant question would have been, "Did you have to adjust your game again now that Davante is back?"

Markedman
03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Name names IWB......Who are the slackers?

ps. MU couldn't "get it done" with a guy who is walking on at UW?

I mean Zack has had a great year but we didn't even offer him.........wow.

mufansince72
03-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Well, I'm betting that Wicketts is one of them.

IWB
03-13-2012, 07:30 PM
No, he is not one of them....well, not one that was there today.

mufansince72
03-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Bill Michaels - don't see him doing anything but going to packer games.

Hamostradamus
03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Buzz: he has slept about 2 hours the last two days.

You could see that in his eyes a couple days ago, he looked like 40 miles of bad road.