PDA

View Full Version : Tidbit from Andy Katz

ge1974
05-30-2013, 07:51 AM
From Andy Katz this morning:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85005/3-point-shot-big-east-ironing-out-details

The new Big East has soccer and volleyball schedules for the fall despite not having a commissioner or staff yet. Each athletic director among the 10 was given a sport to work on scheduling along with the coaches from each school. The athletic directors are completely in the dark on the league's new commissioner; the decision is being made by the university presidents. Meanwhile, the schools are still waiting to hear from broadcast partner Fox about what nights they will typically play on during the conference season. Monday and Thursday doubleheaders are a possibility, but the use of pro arenas by Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova, Marquette, Georgetown and St. John's makes it hard to lock in just two nights per week for games.

unclejohn
05-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Seton Hall and Providence have pro arenas? The Nets moved to Brooklyn. Are the Steamrollers back in the league?

TheSultan
05-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Seton Hall shares the Prudential Center with the New Jersey Devils and Providence has an AHL team.

TedBaxter
05-30-2013, 09:17 AM
From Andy Katz this morning:

The athletic directors are completely in the dark on the league's new commissioner; the decision is being made by the university presidents.

This really worries me. When the dental school plans changes, does the Marquette president leave the powers in that school out of the decision making?

ge1974
05-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Here is another article from Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal discussing the the AAC. The article states that the AAC office will keep most of the employees and take over the current shop in Providence.

In other words, the revised Big East not only needs to hire a commissioner pronto but also many other employees, as well including IT infrastructure, public relations, secretaries, mail office, accounting, etc.; not to mention a location for their league offices.

They better get off their collective asses quickly!

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/college/content/20130530-collegeOld-Big-East-moving-on-as-136993.ece

Phantom Warrior
05-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't think it's a surprise that many/most employees would prefer to stay put rather than move, especially if they have a family. I pretty much expected that.

Still, I agree that it's pretty scary to go into June without a staff.

TedBaxter
05-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Qualitemps.:rolleyes:

ge1974
05-30-2013, 10:00 AM
There are a lot of ESPN ex-employees from Bristol, CN not too far away (approximately 400 of them). Still, the conference needs to hire management people...in order to hire staff. I'd imagine they'd have to outsource a lot of the day-to-day operations. Can the new Big East use Fox's current IT structure until staff and equipment are procurred?

Any unemployed MU people on the east coast looking for work? Contact Fr. Pilarz or even Larry Williams, immediately and ask him how you can be considered for the revised Big East offices.

TheSultan
05-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I wish someone would talk to some of the people who were on the ground floor of the Mountain West Conference...which I think is the last time a major new conference came into being. Or how about talking to Cords about the birth of the Great Midwest? Just to get a sense of what is involved.