PDA

View Full Version : Brad Stevens talks Big East

MUBasketball
05-29-2013, 07:10 PM
http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20130529/SPORTS0605/305290081/Brad-Stevens-discusses-Butler-s-place-new-Big-East

Markedman
05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Man is he impressive. Such a straight shooter....no BS......Kind of coach you would love to have your son play for.

CaribouJim
05-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Man is he impressive. Such a straight shooter....no BS......Kind of coach you would love to have your son play for.

...and he will be the next coach of Duke when Coach K calls it quits.

BLT
05-30-2013, 07:32 AM
...and he will be the next coach of Duke when Coach K calls it quits.
Really impressed with him in terms of the game but not yet with his recruiting. With Two Final 2s, you would think he could land a few more studs. Has his talent so not an issue for the A10 or Horizon but Big East is a key hurdle for him to. clear first I feel. In his own backyard at IU I can see but Duke is another level., especially with the new teams in the ACC.

The Reptile
05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Really impressed with him in terms of the game but not yet with his recruiting. With Two Final 2s, you would think he could land a few more studs. Has his talent so not an issue for the A10 or Horizon but Big East is a key hurdle for him to. clear first I feel. In his own backyard at IU I can see but Duke is another level., especially with the new teams in the ACC.

Why not? He is more accomplished than Coach K was when he left Army to take the Duke job. Plus, he was able to make back to back finals recruiting in the Horizon league. Imagine what he could do with Brand Duke and the ACC behind him? It doesn't seem to be a stretch - especially since he's currently done better than all of Coach K's assistants out on their own - Mike Bray included.

ge1974
05-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Personally, I think Chris Collins is next in line for the Duke job, if he has any kind of success at Northwestern...which admittingly isn't an easy job.

ValiantSailor
05-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Why not? He is more accomplished than Coach K was when he left Army to take the Duke job.

That bar has been raised. Think of UCLA pre- and post-Wooden. Whoever follows K will be out of a job within three years.

VS

TheSultan
05-30-2013, 10:24 AM
They are going to hire a Coach K guy when he retires.

ValiantSailor
05-30-2013, 10:47 AM
They are going to hire a Coach K guy when he retires.

Yeah, and Brad Doherty was a Dean Smith guy, as was Bill Guthridge. You probably remember how well they worked out.

There will be angst among the alums, regardless. And unless the new guy meets or exceeds expectations, he'll be gone within three years.

VS

TheSultan
05-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Yeah, and Brad Doherty was a Dean Smith guy, as was Bill Guthridge. You probably remember how well they worked out.

There will be angst among the alums, regardless. And unless the new guy meets or exceeds expectations, he'll be gone within three years.

Roy Williams was a Dean Smith guy too and turned down the job once before taking it.

But that isn't really the point. It is exceedingly rare that when successful coaches retire, that they don't go "inside the family" to hire their successor. It is the easy step for an athletic director - no one will really question it. And if it doesn't work out, the new coach is labelled "not up to the old guy," and the AD shrugs his shoulders and moves on.

But if he hires and outsider and it doesn't work, well, he likely gets the boosters mad and all blame falls on him. It's the path of least resistance.

Goose85
05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
I don't think I would want to be the guy that comes in after Coach K / Boeheim / etc.

One heck of a tough act to follow, and it is very possible things don't work out well due to high expectations. May not have the same support network either (shoe companies / donors / etc).