PDA

View Full Version : We're number #9!

dw3dw3dw3
05-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Just 2 below Kentucky for best fan-base.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22321420/study-louisville-has-no-1-fan-base-kentucky-no-7

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Neat to see, but this is an absolutely horrible way to gauge the best fan bases... I mean Arkansas at #4? Really?

IWB
05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
It always kills me that Duke is so high. Yes, I get it, the "Cameron Crazies". Well, if your stadium only holds 9,000 and students are mixed in with the alums and they have a 'participate or lose your seats' philosophy, of course they will be crazy. One thing really irritates me is all of the pictures of the fans with their hands out towards an opponent in-bounding the ball. This has to be stopped. If the opponent on the court has to give you three feet of space, why are the fans allowed to do anything but touch you? at times these people are with three inches.

http://tullysportsblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/cameron-crazies.jpg?w=615

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-29-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't think things are rolling as well at Duke as they portray it, apparently they have been having issues selling all their student tickets...

bleedbluegold03
05-29-2013, 07:30 PM
i think attendance % in terms of student alumni base is the most accurate representation of a fan base

ValiantSailor
05-30-2013, 09:21 AM
It always kills me that Duke is so high. Yes, I get it, the "Cameron Crazies". Well, if your stadium only holds 9,000 and students are mixed in with the alums and they have a 'participate or lose your seats' philosophy, of course they will be crazy.

NBD, but including standing room, Cameron holds over 10.000. From Wikipedia:

"Renovations in 1987–1988 removed the standing room areas, added an electronic scoreboard and display over center court, wood paneling, brass railings and student seats, bringing capacity to 9,314, though now there is sufficient standing to ensure a total of 10,000 could fit into Cameroon Indoor on a very busy day."

VS

IWB
05-30-2013, 09:43 AM
True VS, but they haven't been selling out their seats, so I doubt they are selling the SROs.

ValiantSailor
05-30-2013, 10:37 AM
True VS, but they haven't been selling out their seats, so I doubt they are selling the SROs.

I've heard that the students aren't supporting their team as before. But I think the alums are buying any tickets made available. For example, my brother is a huge Duke fan (mea maxima culpa!), and the only way he can get a ticket is through an alum friend who has season tickets. Don't know about the SROs.

VS

Goose85
05-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Duke students bought about half of the 1,200 student allotment last year so those tickets were sold to alum.
MU has more students per game than Duke does, but reputation is everything.

ACC was terrible, and Duke plays most of the good non conference games at neutral sites so while they may sell out the games, the Cameron Crazies are not that crazy about buying tickets anymore. TV does depict a different view however.

TrevorCandelino
05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Duke students bought about half of the 1,200 student allotment last year so those tickets were sold to alum.
MU has more students per game than Duke does, but reputation is everything.

ACC was terrible, and Duke plays most of the good non conference games at neutral sites so while they may sell out the games, the Cameron Crazies are not that crazy about buying tickets anymore. TV does depict a different view however.

Which brings up a good point....

If/when a new facility is built for the Bucks in Milwaukee, my basic hope (for MU purposes) is two-fold:

* Put seating behind both baskets

* Find a way to put all or most students on the lower level. This should be easier to do than some think since any new facility will almost certainly increase lower bowl seating relative to the BC.

ValiantSailor
05-30-2013, 12:26 PM

If/when a new facility is built for the Bucks in Milwaukee, my basic hope (for MU purposes) is two-fold:

* Find a way to put all or most students on the lower level. This should be easier to do than some think since any new facility will almost certainly increase lower bowl seating relative to the BC.

I really like the schools (Michigan, NC State, Duke!) who line the court with students. Their enthusiasm is infectious - makes the game more enjoyable to watch.

VS

Goose85
05-30-2013, 12:28 PM

Solid points TrevorC. Build the facility more for basketball than hockey and close the gaps behind the hoops.

I do think the BMO Harris Bradely Center has the fewest number of lower bowl seats in the NBA, so your point about more seats down low will certainly be taken care of with the new stadium.

Gato78
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I take the opposite approach. I find the students to be distracting when I watch it on TV. Especially Duke's students for many, many reasons.

I really like the schools (Michigan, NC State, Duke!) who line the court with students. Their enthusiasm is infectious - makes the game more enjoyable to watch.

VS