PDA

View Full Version : More College Coach Firings

Goose85
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
SMU cans Doherty. It will be interesting to see what they do in preparation for heading to the Big East. This hire will say a lot about what resources they plan to allocate to hoops.

Horn, former MU assistant under Crean, was let go at South Carolina as well.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7681146/smu-mustangs-fire-matt-doherty-six-seasons

CaribouJim
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
How Doherty keeps getting work is beyond me. Forgot that he was the national coach of the year with UNC. To his credit, he did bring in the lion's share of recruits that ended up winning for ol' Roy.

IWB
03-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Go to wonder where these two schools will turn. South Carolina is a tough one. Expecting a coach to break into the upper echelon in that conference is a pretty tall order.

SMU - that will get interesting. Bad program, but spending the money to step it up in the Big East. Do they take an up-and-coming assistant? Do they try to lure someone away with big cash? Or do they take a guy like Horn?

Two interesting hires, I say So Car hires an up and coming assistant, SMU will overpay to lure someone away from somewhere else.

CaribouJim
03-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I think SMU needs the "up and coming" option - what TC was to MU - same with SoCar - young and energetic is what is needed.

Markedman
03-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Supposedly Greg Mcdermott is the guy SC wants.

IWB
03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
That would be a mistake. The guy got a sweetheart deal from Creighton which bailed him out at Iowa State as he would have gotten fired. His kid blows up and makes them a contender. He couldn't recruit at Iowa State, I don't think he will be able to recruit at So Car. Besides that, Creighton originally signed him to something ridiculous, like a 10 year $15 million deal or something like that.

Agree that both need an energetic up and comer, I was just predicting what they would do.

TedBaxter
03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
South Carolina is a tough job and they need someone to get that state excited about basketball. Need a Shaka Smart type, but not sure they can get one who can turn it around. McDermott in South Carolina?

MayorBeluga
03-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Let hizzoner be the first to say it: Perry Clark to South Carolina!

Mark Miller
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Can't believe South Carolina would want McDermott. Gregg Marshall, sure, but McDermott?

Markedman
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah maybe the posts/tweets I read meant Marshall and not Mcdermott? Marshall has history in the state....http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/03/13/3816052/horn-fired-as-usc-basketball-coach.html

CaribouJim
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
That would be a mistake. The guy got a sweetheart deal from Creighton which bailed him out at Iowa State as he would have gotten fired. His kid blows up and makes them a contender. He couldn't recruit at Iowa State, I don't think he will be able to recruit at So Car. Besides that, Creighton originally signed him to something ridiculous, like a 10 year $15 million deal or something like that.

Agree that both need an energetic up and comer, I was just predicting what they would do.

I knew that - I think DePaul should have gone that route as well - the work that needs to be done is not for the elderly in relative terms. I think if TC went to DePaul instead of MU things could be very, very different at both schools. Don't want to think of it actually.

Speaking of USC, MU had a great rivalry going with them when Frank McGuire was coaching against Al - both teams had that NYC pipeline - one of the first MU games I recall watching was a close game against USC - great players over those years on both teams. Who was that Pete Maravich "want to be" on USC - Rusty Galloon or something like that - more flash than substance as I recall.

I think the very first game I recall watching MU in was that triple OT game against ND in the early '70's - MU lost - think it was at ND. Regretfully, I was rooting for ND as I was watching with my ND grad father and had a brother at ND and a sister at St. Mary's at the time or who had just graduated. I was eventually cured of that ailment. I do remember thinking that "those Marquette guys are cool".

Goose85
03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
I think South Carolina goes with a young up and coming coach.

I see a place like SMU trying to go with an established coach after seeing how quickly June Jones turned around the football program. I think they would like to try the same route for hoops. Big money there - just a matter of how much of it they want to spend on coaching.

If they don't want to go that route, there is a guy at Lamar they might be interested in - Pat Knight.

TulsaWarrior
03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Two thoughts about the SMU situation:

(1) Will that 7 footer stay with his commitment to SMU with this firing" Marquette was in the hunt to the end.

(2) SMU has a lot of money. $30 million has gone to renovating Moody Coliseum. http://www.smumustangs.com/facilities/moody-renovations.html There's potential for that program given it's location in the Dallas Metroplex.