PDA

View Full Version : What Defines a Successful Season?

Goose85
03-13-2012, 09:00 AM
MU finishes second in the Big East, our highest finish ever in the conference. We have a 3 seed, are ranked 11, Crowder as Big East POY, DJO first team Big East, overcame injuries to Otule and for a period of time Gardner.

So, is this already considered an overall successful season, or is more work needed to meet season expectations (not be a disappointing season)?

1. Already a successful season based on Big East finish and the way the team played, even if we are one and done.
2. One tourney win is needed for it to be a successful season.
3. Need to reach at least the sweet 16.
4. Need to go further than sweet 16.

Of course I'm happy with the way the year went, and I think we had a very successful regular season. I was expecting sweet 16 coming into the year so I would say anything less would be disappointing (doesn't mean I am not happy with the season, just think sweet 16 is needed). I will pick 3.

CaribouJim
03-13-2012, 09:50 AM
3. Need to reach at least the sweet 16 (and not get blown out in the last game).

MUMac
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Already a successful season. I know the tournamant defines the season for many people, I just think that is too harsh. I thought the '02 MU team had a successful season and a bad ending with the loss to Tulsa. Anything can happen in a one game elimination scenario. I hate that that outcome could determine the way the other 32 games this team has played.

IWB
03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Agree Mac - who would have ever guessed that this team would go 14-4 in the Big East? Also, with a home schedule that included Vanderbilt, Villanova, St. John's, Pittsburgh, Louisville, South Florida, Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Rutgers and Georgetown, would anyone have thought MU would go 15-1 at home? A second place finish in the Big East? All without Chris Otule? Most of which was without Davante Gardner?

This team has been a total success. Win or lose in the NCAAs, I am shocked at the job Buzz Williams and the rest of teh staff and team has done this year, regardless of what happens this week.

MayorBeluga
03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, Jim Boeheim is right (seems strange to type that). It's all about tournament success now. The regular season success this year has raised the stakes for overall success. Sweet 16 is a minimum since that merely plays to seed. Anything more becomes icing on the gravy.

Markedman
03-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I agree with IWB. Although it will be disappointing if the team flames out in the tourny this season has already been a success from my point of view.

Undermanned team due to injuries, played hard, finished 2nd in the BE and earned a high seed.

It's all gravy from here for me.

novakfor3
03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I will reflect on the great season we've had, after some time has gone by, but if we don't get to the Sweet 16, it will be a downer.

Nothing like traveling to tourney sites, meeting fans of other teams, watching the game with a bunch of new MU friends. Who remembers the Cheesehead dude during the '94 trips to Tampa and Knoxville, or the hotel in Mnnpls after we made the Final 4?

OR Beignets in NOLA BABY!!