PDA

View Full Version : Update on Big East Meetings

ge1974
05-24-2013, 08:10 AM
More Big East meeting information at this link. For example, pricing for tickets to the Big East tourney may change:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130523/BLUEJAYS/705239829/1707

TheSultan
05-24-2013, 08:12 AM
The most important thing is this:

"Rasmussen said the administrators agreed to conference schedules and championship structures, dates and sites for most sports."

Now that the nuts and bolts of next year are basically done, they can work on the big picture stuff with a new commissioner.

Orlando
05-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Does anyone else find it maddening that this guy is basically admitting that if the weather had been better, a lot of important issues would not have gotten done? What a country we live in. That meeting was probably close to a 7 figure expense for these "not for profit" institutions and these knuckleheads were going to go down there and play grab ass in the surf if the sun had been out. The sad part is this clown does not even know he said anything wrong and neither does the guy writing the article.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
I think those comments were made in a joking fashion, at least that's how I read them. I'd imagine these meetings had a set agenda and regardless of weather things were going to be discussed. I could be wrong though.

TheSultan
05-24-2013, 09:40 AM
It was just an intro to the article...nothing to get worked up about.

Orlando
05-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Here is what he said:

“We spent a lot of time in meetings, because there was not much else you could have done outside of the meetings anyway,” Creighton Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen said. “I would have hated to think what we would have left on the table had the weather been better.

“We had a social afternoon planned. We ended up spending five or six hours going over the 20 or more sports that the conference is going to sponsor. We got a lot done.”

I suppose it could be a joke, but it does not sound like it to me.

TheSultan
05-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Well, I guess you can continue to be outraged over an innocuous comment then.

Orlando
05-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, I guess you can continue to be outraged over an innocuous comment then.

You sound very upset about my comments. I am sorry if I offended you in any way. Just trying to create discussion in a slow time.

ziggysfryboy
05-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Cue SuperSultan coming to the rescue of a university administrator! zing! bam! biff! pow!

TheSultan
05-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Cue SuperSultan coming to the rescue of a university administrator! zing! bam! biff! pow!

University administrators have the privilege....no, THE RIGHT...to "play grab ass in the surf."

Goose85
05-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Ziggy always cracks me up. Nice come back Sultan.

Orlando
05-24-2013, 10:58 AM
University administrators have the privilege....no, THE RIGHT...to "play grab ass in the surf."

Oh, that is what is bothering you. I was not serious about that. Hope this helps.

Hyperbole
Definition:
A hyperbole is a literary device wherein the author uses specific words and phrases that exaggerate and overemphasize the basic crux of the statement in order to produce a grander, more noticeable effect. The purpose of hyperbole is to create a larger-than-life effect and overly stress a specific point. Such sentences usually convey an action or sentiment that is generally not practically/ realistically possible or plausible but helps emphasize an emotion.

TheSultan
05-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh, that is what is bothering you. I was not serious about that. Hope this helps.

Hyperbole
Definition:
A hyperbole is a literary device wherein the author uses specific words and phrases that exaggerate and overemphasize the basic crux of the statement in order to produce a grander, more noticeable effect. The purpose of hyperbole is to create a larger-than-life effect and overly stress a specific point. Such sentences usually convey an action or sentiment that is generally not practically/ realistically possible or plausible but helps emphasize an emotion.

Exactly...which is what the author used in the first place.

Orlando
05-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Exactly...which is what the author used in the first place.

I can see where one might think so. I can accept that. I don't believe he was, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

BLT
05-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Except at Wisconsin, where they play pull chain.