PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Article on Buzz

Goose85
05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Nothing really new of note, just nice to see the publicity for Buzz and MU.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9304217/buzz-williams-marquette-adjust-new-big-east-changing-college-basketball

CaribouJim
05-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Good article nonetheless. It will be interesting to see where this conference place is in 5-10 years from now after the newness has worn off - will it be a top 3-4 b-ball conference with a unique niche? I say yes, but it needs to get a fast start out of the gate and how it is promoted will play a big part.

One other thing - this line: Williams has led the Golden Eagles to three consecutive Sweet 16 berths -- including an appearance in the Elite Eight this spring. I see that a lot - isn't that kind of double dipping? Shouldn't it be what your final destination was in the tourney? In other words, "2 Sweet Sixteens and one Elite 8 in the last 3 years for MU". My rant for the day.

IWB
05-23-2013, 12:58 PM
I have struggled with that one Caribou -

I would normally agree, but when you say two consecutive Sweet 16s and an Elite 8, it sounds like it was all in two years.

Should it be, "Buzz Williams made it to three consecutive Sweet 16s, advancing beyond to the Elite 8 in 2013"?

Goose85
05-23-2013, 01:13 PM

I would normally agree, but when you say two consecutive Sweet 16s and an Elite 8, it sounds like it was all in two years.

Should it be, "Buzz Williams made it to three consecutive Sweet 16s, advancing beyond to the Elite 8 in 2013"?

Now that is a good way to put it.

CaribouJim
05-23-2013, 02:01 PM

I'll have to disagree, respectfully of course. If you make it to the Elite 8 it is implied that you made it to the Sweet 16 and when you look at a team's NCAA history it gets muddy - you look at the collective results and you look and say "wow, they've been to 10 Sweet 16's and 4 Elite 8's and 3 FF's and 1 NCAA championship" it makes it look like 18 separate seasons where in actuality it may be 12 or thereabouts.

I deem that I am right and you are wrong upon approval of Mayor Beluga!

MayorBeluga
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I deem that I am right and you are wrong upon approval of Mayor Beluga!

1. It's about bloody time that Caribou agreed that Hizzoner is the arbitrator of all that is right and true. Now if we could only get IWB to do the same...

2. Hizzoner has decided to reply on how the good people at Marquette's atheltics department relay the information. On page 11 of 132 of the online 2012-2013media guide (http://issuu.com/marquettesid/docs/mubb_guide_2012-13?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23222222), they list Marquette as having 15 trips to the Sweet Sixteen, 6 in the Elite Eight and the 1977 National Championship (what about 1974 and 2003?). Given they way MU has imparted the data, Hizzoner must rule against the James the Wild Reindeer.

3. It's about bloody time that Caribou agreed that Hizzoner is the arbitrator of all that is right and true. Now if we could only get IWB to do the same...

2013UnleashTheBeast
05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with the Caribou here.

CaribouJim
05-23-2013, 05:17 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with the Caribou here.

As you should as well as the rest of this bloody planet!!

CaribouJim
05-23-2013, 06:04 PM
1. It's about bloody time that Caribou agreed that Hizzoner is the arbitrator of all that is right and true. Now if we could only get IWB to do the same...

2. Hizzoner has decided to reply on how the good people at Marquette's atheltics department relay the information. On page 11 of 132 of the online 2012-2013media guide (http://issuu.com/marquettesid/docs/mubb_guide_2012-13?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23222222), they list Marquette as having 15 trips to the Sweet Sixteen, 6 in the Elite Eight and the 1977 National Championship (what about 1974 and 2003?). Given they way MU has imparted the data, Hizzoner must rule against the James the Wild Reindeer.

3. It's about bloody time that Caribou agreed that Hizzoner is the arbitrator of all that is right and true. Now if we could only get IWB to do the same...

A decision rife with pandering to this board's moderator!!