PDA

View Full Version : Providence Journal - Big East Meetings

ge1974
05-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Update from the Providence Journal:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/college/content/20130521-college-hoops-journal-big-east-moving-ahead.ece

Interesting:
The league will sponsor an 18-game, round-robin schedule and Fox is said to excited about a potential Tip-Off day/night where all 10 schools would play.

AlexJesswein
05-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Do it on a saturday and get the games going at 11 CT , 1:30CT , 4:00 CT , 6:30CT , 9:00 CT.

MUfan12
05-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Do it on a saturday and get the games going at 11 CT , 1:30CT , 4:00 CT , 6:30CT , 9:00 CT.

That would be perfect. I can't think of a conference doing something like this and promoting it. Just as long as it's not on New Years Day.

MU/Panther
05-22-2013, 08:36 AM
All teams must work hard to sell out MSG. We never had to do that because it always sold out.

MU/Panther
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Do it on a saturday and get the games going at 11 CT , 1:30CT , 4:00 CT , 6:30CT , 9:00 CT. It would be more like 11, 1, 3, 5 & 7. College is two hour time window.

IWB
05-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't care how you split the hours, doubt it will happen on a Saturday at the expense of football. Fox has college football and when that ends they have NFL games. Would have to be deep into the NFL playoffs before that can happen.

Goose85
05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
I don't care how you split the hours, doubt it will happen on a Saturday at the expense of football. Fox has college football and when that ends they have NFL games. Would have to be deep into the NFL playoffs before that can happen.

Don't conference games usually begin after most college bowl games are over? I think most bowl games are on ESPN too.

TheSultan
05-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Don't conference games usually begin after most college bowl games are over? I think most bowl games are on ESPN too.

Marquette's first conference games have been on January 1 lately. So this could be the Saturday after January 1.

IWB
05-22-2013, 08:50 AM
You are correct, don't know why I was thinking NFL starts splitting Saturday/Sunday by then.

Goose85
05-22-2013, 08:52 AM
When asked about the ACC coaches expressing a desire to play their tournament at MSG, Driscoll (Providence AD) said he does not see that happening.

“We have dates locked in for a long time [through 2026],” he said. “We definitely have strong enough teams to sell the place out. Ours fans love coming to New York and we’ll do what it takes to get an absolute sellout.”

ge1974
05-22-2013, 08:57 AM
More from Andy Katz this morning:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/84804/3-point-shot-lottery-goes-noels-way

1. The new Big East pulled off an officiating coup from its competitor the American Athletic Conference when it landed veteran official John Cahill as its coordinator. Art Hyland, who is retiring as the old Big East's coordinator, will stay on as a consultant. The news of these moves was conveyed to coaches during meetings in Florida on Monday and Tuesday. The American conference was also interested in Cahill and will search for a coordinator. The two conferences will likely compete for the same pool of officials when they play on the same date, mostly Saturdays. The buzz on the meetings was positive as the 10 schools, with their coaches and athletic directors, discussed the future with their television partner, Fox sports. The coaches weren't tipped on the next commissioner, but were told a name would be revealed soon. The schools still don't know which days they will be playing on during the conference season as Fox plans the winter schedule.

TheSultan
05-22-2013, 08:58 AM
You are correct, don't know why I was thinking NFL starts splitting Saturday/Sunday by then.

The NFL hasn't been doing the Saturday regular season games for a couple of years now. However in looking at the NFL schedule, the last Sunday games are Sunday, December 29, which means NFL playoffs would start the first Saturday in January.

I think Saturday, December 28 would be a good date for something like this...although the ratings may not be all that much with ESPN likely flooding that day with bowl games.

But there aren't many great alternatives.

MU/Panther
05-22-2013, 09:00 AM
The first Saturday in January is the 4th. There is two NFL playoff games that day, with the first starting at 3:30pm. Think of the Saturday when MU hosted G'town.

Halo
05-22-2013, 10:41 AM
More from Andy Katz this morning:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/84804/3-point-shot-lottery-goes-noels-way

1. The new Big East pulled off an officiating coup from its competitor the American Athletic Conference when it landed veteran official John Cahill as its coordinator. Art Hyland, who is retiring as the old Big East's coordinator, will stay on as a consultant. The news of these moves was conveyed to coaches during meetings in Florida on Monday and Tuesday. The American conference was also interested in Cahill and will search for a coordinator. The two conferences will likely compete for the same pool of officials when they play on the same date, mostly Saturdays. The buzz on the meetings was positive as the 10 schools, with their coaches and athletic directors, discussed the future with their television partner, Fox sports. The coaches weren't tipped on the next commissioner, but were told a name would be revealed soon. The schools still don't know which days they will be playing on during the conference season as Fox plans the winter schedule.

Does anyone know if Buzz and LW flew down there together, said hi to each other or had to sit next to each other at the meeting?

CaribouJim
05-22-2013, 10:55 AM
In lieu of 5 games in one day to kick things off, I had been thinking of the following scenario: A prime time game during the week at MSG with SJU playing G-Town. In attendance would be the President, AD and Head Coach for all of the remaining 8 teams. Have some sort of pregame ceremony that kicks things off - whether it be Dave Gavitt's (sp?) family cutting a ribbon with all the Presidents, AD's and Head Coaches on the floor. The new commish says some corny stuff. In addition, I would allocate a section in the stands with iconic coaches (Lou C., JT II, P.J. Carlesimo, Mike Deane :) etc.) and players (for MU have GT, Butch, Bo, and even Wade, Butler, Matthews, Novak if schedule permits and Korver for CU etc. and maybe even me based upon my MU b-ball intramural exploits, but I digress) to punctuate the history of the teams in the new Big East and its NYC DNA. Make sure the Fox folks frequently scan the section and be prepared to discuss that player or coach.

A couple nights later I would have a prime time weekday game again, but this time at Creighton with MU as their opponent welcoming one of the brand spanking new teams into the Big East and I would assume the place would be going nuts, like the MU vs UCONN game. Wasn't that game that kicked off the added teams to the BE in '05?

Then on Saturday, I would have 3 games, back-to-back-to back with the last in prime time.

Having 5 games in succession would be cool too - kind of like the first day of the NCAA's - but I would like to have that hyper prime time focus for at least that first game.

Goose85
05-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Great ideas Caribou. I think you are now the marketing head of the Big East.

I do like the opening game celebration. That would be cool. Right out of the gate make the Big East synonymous with the Garden. Georgetown and St. John's at the Garden.

MU at Creighton - preseason highest ranked team v. team with preseason first team AA.

MU/Panther
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Mike Deane will be busy. He is a coach at James Madison.

MayorBeluga
05-22-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't believe the coaches can be in attendance at another game unless it is a tournament format. Also, absent a recruiting visit, there is no way coaches give up a day away from their teams - even if they fly charter to and from NYC - right before conference play starts.

Great marketing idea, but...

CaribouJim
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't believe the coaches can be in attendance at another game unless it is a tournament format. Also, absent a recruiting visit, there is no way coaches give up a day away from their teams - even if they fly charter to and from NYC - right before conference play starts.

Great marketing idea, but...

That's why I built the day in between as I knew Buzz would not do it the night before, but I didn't know about the rule so it is a "mute" point as some too often say. Still could do it without the coaches.

MUBasketball
05-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Mike Deane will be busy. He is a coach at James Madison.

It was a joke.

MUBasketball
05-22-2013, 12:05 PM
so it is a "mute" point as some too often say.

You got that right! :mad:

MUAlphaBangura
05-22-2013, 12:18 PM
That would be perfect. I can't think of a conference doing something like this and promoting it. Just as long as it's not on New Years Day.

Hearing that the day they are trying for is New Year's Eve. They wanted us to host the 9:00 PM game, but there is a conflict with the Harlem Globetrotters annual game in Milwaukee. So if it remains on New Year's Eve, we will be playing on the road for our 1st game. Maybe at Villanova?

ge1974
05-22-2013, 12:26 PM
MUAlphaBangura, have you heard anything new regarding a possible game between MU and UCLA? Thanks.

MU/Panther
05-22-2013, 12:34 PM
I think it's always better for Marquette in terms of attendance to start league play on the road. With NFL playoffs and bowl games in the way.

TheSultan
05-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Hearing that the day they are trying for is New Year's Eve. They wanted us to host the 9:00 PM game, but there is a conflict with the Harlem Globetrotters annual game in Milwaukee. So if it remains on New Year's Eve, we will be playing on the road for our 1st game. Maybe at Villanova?

I'd like to say that I'm going to be too busy to watch a game on New Year's Eve...but who am I kidding?

MUAlphaBangura
05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
MUAlphaBangura, have you heard anything new regarding a possible game between MU and UCLA? Thanks.

ge, have not heard anything recently. Will let you all know if something changes.