PDA

View Full Version : OT - Great Idea for MU to Raise Some Scholorship $'s

CaribouJim
05-21-2013, 03:43 PM
https://muconnect.marquette.edu/lanche?srctid=1&erid=4736011&trid=cc048cdd-a3ab-4461-a4f4-978f5e44d14b

Very creative. I'd pay $2,000 for Archie's peg leg and $3,000 for the pistol that he kept behind the counter!

My best 'Lanche story, among many - buddy of mine over served himself at the 'Lanche (is that redundant?) and found himself getting sick to his stomach and ran into the john and started to barf in the toilet while realizing a bum was sitting on the throne. My buddy apologized profusely to the guy and he responded "don't worry, its happened before and it will happen again".

A girl I graduated with and still hang out with insisted that she got mono from the girls' bathroom there.

After the ND game my freshman year in the '76-'77 season walked back to the 'Lanche and within minutes Bill Hanzlik from ND was in a fight there. I swear he was there within 30 minutes of the game's ending.

Too many stories.

TheSultan
05-21-2013, 03:50 PM
So they have been holding onto this stuff for 16 years???

CaribouJim
05-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I think they were weighing what was more significant to MU - the Lord of the Rings collection or the 'Lanche stuff.

TheSultan
05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Well, I have spent way more time in my life with the Lanche than I have the Lord of the Rings.

MayorBeluga
05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Got the email about this 30 minutes ago. Made my contribution 29 minutes ago.

IWB
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I find it odd that the University hated The 'Lanche so much that they closed it and tore it down, and are now profiting on the remains years later.

BLT
05-21-2013, 06:19 PM
I'd pay my Powerball earnings for the men's room door with a fist punch hole all the way through. Remained that way for nearly twenty years until MU unceremoniously closed the Lanche in the dark of the night. As a double donation kicker, they should throw in the pool table with the felt patched with masking tape.

The Reptile
05-22-2013, 07:29 AM
No two things go together better than Red,White & Blue and The Lanche Slide. How and why the latter started I have no idea but it was a better marriage than peanut butter and chocolate. And only made possible because the MPD had to break up a fight at the Lanche involving some Pro Wrestlers and didn't like taking down a perp into broken glass leading to beer service in plastic cups. Imagine that - one tradition (breaking a bottle of RWB) lead directly to another (the 'Lanche Slide). Another tradition of sorts - seeing Chris Farley passed out face down at the bar.

As they used to say in the ads that they placed in the MU Journal - 'Get your degree at Marquette, get your education at the 'Lanche'. No doubt, we all got both.

ge1974
05-22-2013, 07:49 AM
I agree with IWB. It is odd for the university to raise funding in this manner. Why now? Perhaps, they need to fill some of the financial void left by the big-time donors who have held back recently due to their objections with the university and/or atheltic administration.

TheSultan
05-22-2013, 08:21 AM
I agree with IWB. It is odd for the university to raise funding in this manner. Why now? Perhaps, they need to fill some of the financial void left by the big-time donors who have held back recently due to their objections with the university and/or atheltic administration.

Doubtful. It is going to a specific endowed scholarship. My guess is that they had a pile of this stuff in storage somewhere and they finally decided to do something about it.

MUMac
05-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Doubtful. It is going to a specific endowed scholarship. My guess is that they had a pile of this stuff in storage somewhere and they finally decided to do something about it.

I guess I find it odd that they had a pile of this stuff in storage, at all, much less keep it in storage this long.

TheSultan
05-22-2013, 08:52 AM
I guess I find it odd that they had a pile of this stuff in storage, at all, much less keep it in storage this long.

I have a masters degree from Indiana State University. They had an old building that was razed in the mid-50.

http://library.indstate.edu/archives/exhibits/architecture/OldMain.htm

There are still bricks from that place floating around campus today.

ge1974
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM
I have a masters degree from Indiana State University. They had an old building that was razed in the mid-50.

http://library.indstate.edu/archives/exhibits/architecture/OldMain.htm

There are still bricks from that place floating around campus today.

Yes, but thats an old campus building versus a "dive bar".

TheSultan
05-22-2013, 09:01 AM
My point is that knowing college buildings and grounds people the way I do, it doesn't surprise me in the least that they threw this stuff in a corner thinking they may find a use for it one day.