PDA

View Full Version : Calipari's NCAA rant: 'We need to separate'

CaribouJim
05-17-2013, 09:26 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/384988-caliparis-ncaa-rant-we-need-to-separate?eref=sihp

07:14 AM ET 05.17 | On Wednesday, John Calipari made headlines with some heady talk about his team -- and, on Thursday, it was for his take on the college basketball landscape. [Calipari] became the most notable college basketball coach (and maybe first, publicly) to play the leave-the-NCAA card when he went on a rant against the organization on radio Thursday morning. In an interview on WKJK in Louisville, Calipari went off on the age-limit rule. ... "I'm the one guy out there saying, 'We've gotta change this somehow. We've gotta encourage these kids to stay two years.' But the NCAA's gotta do some stuff. And if they don't do it, we need to separate from them. I'm not afraid to say it. Look, they've embarrassed me."

Love that last sentence. Like he hasn't embarrassed himself over the years?

You hear a lot lately about the NCAA's incompetence and the separation talk. Although I agree that the NCAA is light years away from being perfect, what is the alternative? Self-rule? Does anyone think that would work or has there been substantive talk on other ideas and options?

TheSultan
05-17-2013, 09:35 AM
The NCAA already has self-rule. It's just made up of a lot of "selfs."

The new organization would likely be the BCS conferences...not sure if it would include the AAC and the MWC and their ilk. The problem though is replicating the current NCAA bureaucracy. Staging championships....determining eligibility...recruiting rules... All of that would have to be replicated somehow. That is not an easy task and why I doubt it will ultimately happen.

What I could see happen is that a new "super division" is created as an off shoot of the NCAA that has much more control over its own members but still uses some of the mechanics of the NCAA. Kind of like what happened when the Premier League broke off from the Football Association in English soccer...a bunch of staffers simply moved to a different part of the building.

IWB
05-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Do you think the NCAA "embarrassed him" by forcing two of his Final Fours to be vacated or do you think he meant the NCAA "embarrassed him" by not giving Kentucky a bid to the NCAA this year, forcing them to the NIT where Robert Morris "embarrassed him"?

MUMac
05-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Do you think the NCAA "embarrassed him" by forcing two of his Final Fours to be vacated or do you think he meant the NCAA "embarrassed him" by not giving Kentucky a bid to the NCAA this year, forcing them to the NIT where Robert Morris "embarrassed him"?

I think he feels the NCAA embarrassed him by having too low of a salary cap.

unclejohn
05-17-2013, 11:48 AM
And what exactly does Cal expect the NCAA to do to keep his players there for two years? Chain them to their lockers? The NCAA simply has no control over that. The NBA decides when players can enter the draft, and no NCAA rule is going to change that. So what does Cal want? A rule that if a player signs with a college team, he is required to stay two years? How can anybody enforce that? What happens if the player up and leaves after one? Does the NCAA revoke his college credits, which he probably did not want anyway? Cal knows exactly what he is getting when he assembles the best college roster that money can buy. He is getting a bunch of one-and-dones. What his complaint boils down to is, "Hey, these kids have made me incredibly rich. I'd like to make sure they have to spend two years of their career making me even richer." Not gonna happen, and whatever the NCAA tried to do would probably be against the law.