PDA

View Full Version : Katz on Buzz re BE Commish

Nukem2
05-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Katz, in today's 3 Point Shot blog, says Buzz is frustrated re lack of a commissioner.

http://espn.go.com/collegiatebasketballnation/post/_/id/54693/3-point-shot-duquette-faces-tough-road

MUMac
05-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Bad link to the blog.

IWB
05-17-2013, 09:23 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot

2. Count Marquette coach Buzz Williams in the camp that is frustrated about no commissioner being named of the new Big East yet. The coaches and athletic directors meet Monday in Florida and adviser and former Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe will be running the meeting unless someone is suddenly hired over the weekend. Williams said the same issues were discussed at the Final Four and he said he wondered if anything new could be talked about since there is still no leadership. The new 10-team Big East starts competition in August in fall sports. Marquette still needs one more game on its schedule with a slate that includes Ohio State, a road game at Arizona State, the three-game tournament in Anaheim, at Wisconsin and playing New Mexico in Las Vegas.

MU/Panther
05-17-2013, 09:26 AM

2. Count Marquette coach Buzz Williams in the camp that is frustrated about no commissioner being named of the new Big East yet. The coaches and athletic directors meet Monday in Florida and adviser and former Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe will be running the meeting unless someone is suddenly hired over the weekend. Williams said the same issues were discussed at the Final Four and he said he wondered if anything new could be talked about since there is still no leadership. The new 10-team Big East starts competition in August in fall sports. Marquette still needs one more game on its schedule with a slate that includes Ohio State, a road game at Arizona State, the three-game tournament in Anaheim, at Wisconsin and playing New Mexico in Las Vegas. It's very sad that ESPN gives us more info on Marquette, than the local paper puts out.

MUBasketball
05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
How can anybody ignore the fact that this is ridiculous? The damn league starts on July 1st, which is just a little over a month away. They announced the split back in January. Once they had that press conference in New York with Fox, a commish should have been hired shortly thereafter.

You get a few finialists, do a round of interviews, and make a decision. What's the freaking problem?

MUBasketball
05-17-2013, 09:29 AM
It's very sad that ESPN gives us more info on Marquette, than the local paper puts out.

What's the Journal Sentinel supposed to do? Put an article in the sports page in May that the Big East doesn't have a commissioner? It will be a story when one is actually hired.

TheSultan
05-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Completely agree. Do they have any sort of "bureaucracy" working on anything like scheduling and the like? I mean, they did hire a supervisor of officials...but is there more there?

Awilhelmscream
05-17-2013, 09:31 AM
The problem is more than likely too many big egos in the room that want their choice. I get the feeling that the stories of an MU vs GTown power struggle are closer to true than many would believe.

Goose85
05-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Bad link to the blog.

Does the New Mexico game mean no UCLA game?

"Marquette still needs one more game on its schedule with a slate that includes Ohio State, a road game at Arizona State, the three-game tournament in Anaheim, at Wisconsin and playing New Mexico in Las Vegas."

TedBaxter
05-17-2013, 09:32 AM
The problem is more than likely too many big egos in the room that want their choice. I get the feeling that the stories of an MU vs GTown power struggle are closer to true than many would believe.

Bingo!!!!!

CaribouJim
05-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Who is doing the search, some executive headhunter firm?

TheSultan
05-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Who is doing the search, some executive headhunter firm?

Yeah I think so...but a search firm cannot ultimately hire someone.

TedBaxter
05-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Georgetown and Marquette are doing separate searches.:)

CaribouJim
05-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeah I think so...but a search firm cannot ultimately hire someone.

So do we assume that the search firm hasn't served up anyone worth interviewing yet or they have and no has passed mustard? When they do serve someone up is it an interview by committee by all the AD's and/or presidients? Just curious on how it all works.

Goose85
05-17-2013, 09:53 AM
I liked Barry Alvarez's comment aftet Beilema left when asked if he was going to call a search firm. He said no, search firms normally call him.

TheSultan
05-17-2013, 09:55 AM
So do we assume that the search firm hasn't served up anyone worth interviewing yet or they have and no has passed mustard? When they do serve someone up is it an interview by committee by all the AD's and/or presidients? Just curious on how it all works.

Search firms usually identify and recruit candidates, help narrow down the pool, etc. Ultimately decisions need to be made by the hiring authority - which is likely some sort of committee of the presidents. I have no idea where they are in the process of this hire.

TheSultan
05-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I liked Barry Alvarez's comment aftet Beilema left when asked if he was going to call a search firm. He said no, search firms normally call him.

Yeah but in this case, this was the right thing to do. Especially when you have 10 presidents to satisfy who likely don't have the background in athletics to carry out a competent search.

As a former football coach, who really only had to satisfy himself, Barry didn't need that.

Mucrisco
05-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Will ESPN report any good news about the Big East ever? When does the Fox1 Channel start, so they can start fighting back?

ge1974
05-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Fox 1 Sports debuts August 17th.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/FOX-Sports-announces-FOX-Sports-1-network-030513

CaribouJim
05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Fox 1 Sports debuts August 17th.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/FOX-Sports-announces-FOX-Sports-1-network-030513

No explicit mention of the Big East or did I miss something????

COLLEGE BASKETBALL – Dozens of exclusive prime time games on Monday and Thursday nights, plus Saturday and Sunday coverage of the Big 12, Pac-12 and Conference USA.

ge1974
05-17-2013, 11:03 AM
No explicit mention of the Big East or did I miss something????

COLLEGE BASKETBALL – Dozens of exclusive prime time games on Monday and Thursday nights, plus Saturday and Sunday coverage of the Big 12, Pac-12 and Conference USA.

Not sure but I don't think the revised Big East has a signed TV contract yet with Fox 1 Sports. I think its been a verbal agreement to this point. All the more to get a commissioner named and a league office going "full throttle" ASAP!

Warriors69
05-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Bingo!!!!!

Beginning with Domer Larry !

CaribouJim
05-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Not sure but I don't think the revised Big East has a signed TV contract yet with Fox 1 Sports. I think its been a verbal agreement to this point. All the more to get a commissioner named and a league office going "full throttle" ASAP!

Really? Yikes. I thought that was a done deal - you're right, get a commissioner.

TheSultan
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Beginning with Domer Larry !

So your theory is that Larry Williams is holding up the conference commissioner search?

Good luck with that.

MUMac
05-17-2013, 11:09 AM

Does the New Mexico game mean no UCLA game?

"Marquette still needs one more game on its schedule with a slate that includes Ohio State, a road game at Arizona State, the three-game tournament in Anaheim, at Wisconsin and playing New Mexico in Las Vegas."

No. My understanding was UCLA would be a home game this year. There was mention of UCLA at home or Duke in NY. Not sure the status of either.

Goose85
05-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Are we officially the Big East yet, or does the name stay with the old Big East until July 1st?

MU/Panther
05-17-2013, 11:18 AM
What's the Journal Sentinel supposed to do? Put an article in the sports page in May that the Big East doesn't have a commissioner? It will be a story when one is actually hired.

Read the complete quote. My point was more on the news of Marquette's schedule.

MUWhistler
05-18-2013, 06:09 AM

I posted this link a few weeks ago showing how Fox Sports is committed to the Big East and has done a big hire to lead their coverage of the conference.

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/showthread.php?4503-Fox-Sports-1-w-a-small-comment-about-Big-East-coverage

TulsaWarrior
05-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Yes, because of the delay, not having a NBE Commissioner is a story. The president's of the NBE schools have made it a story by their inaction. Part of that stories is a perception that the NBE isn't a quality operation. That coupled with the ACC's continued courtship of the people at Madison Square Garden and you get a second class image of the re-structured league.

Perception is everything and first impressions are hard to overcome.

MU/Panther
05-18-2013, 08:50 AM

COLLEGE BASKETBALL – Dozens of exclusive prime time games on Monday and Thursday nights, plus Saturday and Sunday coverage of the Big 12, Pac-12 and Conference USA

That quote was made before the Big East made it's deal. By the way, it's women's Big12 basketball.

TedBaxter
05-18-2013, 09:20 AM
It won't be Zaninovich. He was once the rumored leader.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/05/18/west-coast-conference-commissioner-jamie-zaninovich-receives-3-year-contract/

TheSultan
05-18-2013, 09:50 AM
It won't be Zaninovich. He was once the rumored leader.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/05/18/west-coast-conference-commissioner-jamie-zaninovich-receives-3-year-contract/

Yeah I think ajerseyguy said this a couple weeks ago.