PDA

View Full Version : TJ Ford to retire

CaribouJim
03-12-2012, 02:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/03/12/tj.ford.spurs.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a5

I'm posting as it relates to MU. I went to the Coaches Vs. Cancer MSG games in the fall of '02 where three of the four 2003 FF teams played in - MU, Texas and SU with Kansas being the only FF team not there. Although it wasn't an elimination game type set up, I doubt there has ever been a collection of better quality teams considering. Did MU beat 'Nova? I know MU played them the next year in the same tourney and MU won that - 'Nova had that great freshman class.

Ford was so, so quick - he is smart to get out. I kind of wish P. Manning woud consider the same thing.

Goose85
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Didn't know he was still playing.

IWB
03-12-2012, 03:00 PM
P. Manning can still pull in $20 mil per year, TJ Ford can't. Would you retire if you could still pull in $20 mil per?

Goose85
03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
P. Manning can still pull in $20 mil per year, TJ Ford can't. Would you retire if you could still pull in $20 mil per?

Plus endorsements, guest host on SNL, etc. Those things tend to go away once you are retired.

Ford was lightning quick. A great college player.

Gato78
03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
In that Coaches vs Cancer, didn't Ford took a big fall which caused some of the problems? Also, rememebr he and DWade sitting across the aisle from each other in the stands and all the kids lined up beside Ford to get his autograph and no one lined up for DWade. Bet they wished they'd known then what they know now!

CaribouJim
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Considering how much he has stocked away I would think I have more than enough not only for me, but for many generations of Mannings, to live beyond comfortable and to be half-way healthy. Multiple surgeries to the neck would make me step back and reconsider getting back into the game. Just my opinion. I admit, $20 million, regardless of how much you have put away, would be hard to walk away, but still...

Don't think his advertising worth would evaporate at all - MJ and Farve are just two examples.