PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 v. SEC

Goose85
05-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Looks like why we are trying to find a commish for the Big East, the Big 12 and the SEC have agreed to a conference challenge. I was really hoping that the new Big East would be able to swing something with the Big 12.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/big-12sec-pairings-announced/

Phantom Warrior
05-14-2013, 01:49 PM
The "late bird" catches diddly squat.

MU/Panther
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Why does this matter to people. Most match-ups stink. I really hope the Big East does not do this. MU, got screwed in playing at Florida. MU, never did end up with a home game.

Goose85
05-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Why does this matter to people. Most match-ups stink. I really hope the Big East does not do this. MU, got screwed in playing at Florida. MU, never did end up with a home game.

Exposure and money. ESPN pays for and promotes the heck out of these games because it is during non conference when most weeknight games feature high majors v. buy game teams. Also ensures another high major conference team on the schedule.

MU/Panther
05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Exposure and money. ESPN pays for and promotes the heck out of these games because it is during non conference when most weeknight games feature high majors v. buy game teams. Also ensures another high major conference team on the schedule. Fair points, not to sure about the money that it's more, but whatever on that.

I don't like the label, league vs. league. I just want great match-ups. Great match-ups will get you on TV. SEC vs Big 12 does nothing for many people in basketball. Football is a different story.

TheSultan
05-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Fair points, not to sure about the money that it's more, but whatever on that.

I don't like the label, league vs. league. I just want great match-ups. Great match-ups will get you on TV. SEC vs Big 12 does nothing for many people in basketball. Football is a different story.

Outside of the B10/ACC challenge, none of them really rang a bell with most people. I am sure Fox Sports is going to want to see great weekday matchups, which is likely why you are seeing MU mentioned with Pac-12 schools like Arizona State and (possibly) UCLA.

Nukem2
05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Outside of the B10/ACC challenge, none of them really rang a bell with most people. I am sure Fox Sports is going to want to see great weekday matchups, which is likely why you are seeing MU mentioned with Pac-12 schools like Arizona State and (possibly) UCLA.
True, and even the B10/ACC challenge is really only as good as the top couple matchups. Don't think too many folks get too excited about the UW-VA matchups, etc. With the addition of Pitt, ND, Ville & Cuse, there could be a lot of mismatches in the future...?

MU/Panther
05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Or Penn St - Boston College

Goose85
05-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Wisconsin v. Virginia was on national ESPN. Far more exposure than MU v. Wisconsin.

TheSultan
05-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Wisconsin v. Virginia was on national ESPN. Far more exposure than MU v. Wisconsin.

OK...and? MU was on ESPN any number of times last year. You don't need a conference challenge to do so.

MU/Panther
05-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Wisconsin v. Virginia was on national ESPN. Far more exposure than MU v. Wisconsin. I had to pull out the hardcore facts out on this one.

Virginia-Wisconsin> TV Rating 0.4 (470K)

Wisconsin-Marquette. TV rating 0.4 (563K)

The UW-MU was put on ESPN2 on a Saturday with many other networks showing games.

MU/Panther
05-15-2013, 08:39 AM
OK...and? MU was on ESPN any number of times last year. You don't need a conference challenge to do so. Correct! If anyone is playing a high-profile game, TV will find you.

Goose85
05-15-2013, 08:55 AM
I had to pull out the hardcore facts out on this one.

Virginia-Wisconsin> TV Rating 0.4 (470K)

Wisconsin-Marquette. TV rating 0.4 (563K)

The UW-MU was put on ESPN2 on a Saturday with many other networks showing games.

You got me on that one. Pretty low ratings for a national game. Does this speak to how few people watch college hoops prior to the tourney?

MUMac
05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
You got me on that one. Pretty low ratings for a national game. Does this speak to how few people watch college hoops prior to the tourney?

I think many more actually had their televisions on for the UW/UVA game, but they were not recognized as they had fallen asleep before the ratings could count them.

farmerdoc
05-15-2013, 09:07 AM
I think many more actually had their televisions on for the UW/UVA game, but they were not recognized as they had fallen asleep before the ratings could count them.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!! Post of the week!!!

MU/Panther
05-15-2013, 09:14 AM
You got me on that one. Pretty low ratings for a national game. Does this speak to how few people watch college hoops prior to the tourney? That is about average.

A whopping 606 of the 678 games had less than a 1.0 rating. That includes 376 games that had between a 0.1 and 0.4, and an incredible 127 games that had a 0.0. Of note, every single game that had a 0.0 rating aired on ESPNU or NBC Sports Network.

Overall, college basketball games averaged 508,000 viewers on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU during the regular season. ESPN averaged 1.4 million for 135 games, up slightly from last year, and the network’s most-viewed college basketball season ever. Regular season averages were not available for CBS or NBC Sports Network.

Goose85
05-15-2013, 09:15 AM
That shows why football is king. Even a bad bowl game beats those ratings.

TheSultan
05-15-2013, 09:17 AM

It was on ESPN2. My guess is that the Miami v. Michigan State game which was the same time on ESPN drew much better numbers.

MU/Panther
05-15-2013, 09:30 AM
It was on ESPN2. My guess is that the Miami v. Michigan State game which was the same time on ESPN drew much better numbers.Michigan St.-Miami got a 0.6 rating (938K)

MU/Panther
05-15-2013, 09:36 AM
That shows why football is king. Even a bad bowl game beats those ratings. There was only two bowl games out of the 35 games that had a tv rating under 1.0. That's because there was others games on at the same time of those two games, which were blowouts. Okla. St-Purdue on ESPNU and ASU-Navy.

TheSultan
05-15-2013, 09:39 AM
There was only two bowl games out of the 35 games that had a tv rating under 1.0. That's because there was others games on at the same time of those two games, which were blowouts. Okla. St-Purdue on ESPNU and ASU-Navy.

Man, you can see why ESPN buys up these bowl games and wants even more of them when you put it in that context.

The Reptile
05-15-2013, 10:12 AM
I'd still rather play a challenge or something similar with the WCC. While the conference is perceived as Mid Major it is a Western version of the Big East and is largely composed of fellow Catholic, basketball first schools. It could form the basis of future cooperation as the foolball schools try to overplay their hand into basketball.

MU/Panther
05-15-2013, 11:00 AM
I'd still rather play a challenge or something similar with the WCC. While the conference is perceived as Mid Major it is a Western version of the Big East and is largely composed of fellow Catholic, basketball first schools. It could form the basis of future cooperation as the foolball schools try to overplay their hand into basketball. Your reason, is why I don't want to play a challenge. I don't want the Big East to be labeled as a mid-major league or non-power league. Most team in the WCC are terrible. Folks don't want to see the mighty Santa Clara-Marquette/ LMU-Georgetown/Portland-Nova.

The Reptile
05-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Your reason, is why I don't want to play a challenge. I don't want the Big East to be labeled as a mid-major league or non-power league. Most team in the WCC are terrible. Folks don't want to see the mighty Santa Clara-Marquette/ LMU-Georgetown/Portland-Nova.

But they would want to see MU-Zags or Georgetown-San Diego State or Villanova-St. Mary's more than TCU-Auburn or Wake Forest-Penn State. Anyone can cherry pick games, it's the quality of basketball that counts. Somehow, I think that after 1-2 games in any of these showdowns only true fans will be watching.

TheSultan
05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
But they would want to see MU-Zags or Georgetown-San Diego State or Villanova-St. Mary's more than TCU-Auburn or Wake Forest-Penn State. Anyone can cherry pick games, it's the quality of basketball that counts. Somehow, I think that after 1-2 games in any of these showdowns only true fans will be watching.

Then why bother? Just schedule good games against good opponents regardless of conference.

MU/Panther
05-15-2013, 07:47 PM
San Diego St isn't in the WCC.