PDA

View Full Version : New Arena for DePaul

Markedman
05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Good for them.....

http://www.suntimes.com/20088232-761/exclusive-rahm-to-announce-300-million-depaul-stadium-plan-for-mccormick-place.html

TedBaxter
05-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Good for them. Hope it's a better location for students and fans than the Rosemount facility.

Goose85
05-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Good for them. Hope it's a better location for students and fans than the Rosemount facility.

Wow, $300 million bucks for a 12,000 seat arena. Seems if you are going to the effort, may as well put in 15,000.

How far is McCormick Place from campus?

TedBaxter
05-13-2013, 04:01 PM
The Loop Campus is probably just over a mile away and the Lincoln Park campus is probably 4 miles or so. In comparison, the old home is over twice as far away from the Lincoln Park campus and the public transportation is much better now for students, obviously.

KMWTRUCKS
05-13-2013, 04:01 PM
it would be like 2400 block south and compared to 2400 block north and another 1 1/2 miles east. so 7 miles from the lincoln park campus, 2 miles from the downtown campus.

TedBaxter
05-13-2013, 04:06 PM
it would be like 2400 block south and compared to 2400 block north and another 1 1/2 miles east. so 7 miles from the lincoln park campus, 2 miles from the downtown campus.

I was using Google map and using my fingers to do the scaling, so you are more accurate.

IWB
05-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Has anyone ever seen a city put up $100 mil to build a facility for a private institution? That's pretty wild.

Also says DePaul will commit to $100 mil. Really? Which also means they think they will get $100 mil for naming rights. Really?

Interesting that they would spend $300 mil rather than play at the United Center. The United Center has got to be closer to campus, and won't cost $300 mil. I don't know which is easier to get to from the El, but why are they so against the United Center?

TedBaxter
05-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Dates for games and concessions?

ge1974
05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Are taxpayers really going to want to chip in?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Reading the comments on that article gives you some insight into the thoughts of some folks... I agree DePaul needs an arena and I hope they get it so they can be more competitive but they are certainly being a bit aggressive here... Heck if they pull it off good for them. Wasn't the Yum center only $250 mil?

Goose85
05-13-2013, 04:14 PM
There must be more for the city to kick in that much money. My guess is the stadium is part of an effort to gain additional convention business or something of that nature, so while DePaul will be a main tenant and help pay for it, I'd think Chicago has big plans for use beyond just basketball.

MUMac
05-13-2013, 04:19 PM
I was using Google map and using my fingers to do the scaling, so you are more accurate.

You must have big fingers. You know what they say about a man who has big fingers? They need big gloves.

CaribouJim
05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
The United Center has got to be closer to campus, and won't cost $300 mil. I don't know which is easier to get to from the El, but why are they so against the United Center?

For the United Center, they would take the Red Line train at Fullerton heading south (right in the middle of campus) and switch to the Blue Line at Jackson (about a 15 minute ride) and then west to the Medical Center stop - about a 10 minute ride or so - about a 25-30 minute ride total plus the wait for the train after switching trains.

As far as near McCormick there is no train that goes real near McCormick - might have to go the bus route - either via CTA or their own busses - still kind of clunky, but better than the Rosemont. Like someone else said, I think the lack of open dates may have been the big concern that makes the United Center a no go.

TheSultan
05-13-2013, 07:00 PM
For the United Center, they would take the Red Line train at Fullerton heading south (right in the middle of campus) and switch to the Blue Line at Jackson (about a 15 minute ride) and then west to the Medical Center stop - about a 10 minute ride or so - about a 25-30 minute ride total plus the wait for the train after switching trains.

As far as near McCormick there is no train that goes real near McCormick - might have to go the bus route - either via CTA or their own busses - still kind of clunky, but better than the Rosemont. Like someone else said, I think the lack of open dates may have been the big concern that makes the United Center a no go.

I thought I read sometime that part of this cost is getting a green line CTA station built at State and Cemak, which is just about four or five blocks away.

TedBaxter
05-13-2013, 07:19 PM
You must have big fingers. You know what they say about a man who has big fingers? They need big gloves.

Wishful think Mac, wishful thinking.

DCwarrior
05-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Has anyone ever seen a city put up $100 mil to build a facility for a private institution? That's pretty wild.

Also says DePaul will commit to $100 mil. Really? Which also means they think they will get $100 mil for naming rights. Really?

Interesting that they would spend $300 mil rather than play at the United Center. The United Center has got to be closer to campus, and won't cost $300 mil. I don't know which is easier to get to from the El, but why are they so against the United Center?

Can't imagine taxpayers footing the bill for a new MU arena. Does MU have to pay rent at the Bradley Center? Because 10 years of free rent sounds like a pretty good deal to me for DePaul.

TheSultan
05-13-2013, 08:14 PM
For something like this, it is hard to determine initially who is paying for what. The arena itself isn't going to cost $300M. That likely includes improvements to the site that will be beneficial to the entire project including the hotels, etc.. The City of LA did something similar when USC built their arena, and they paid for it with an arena parking tax.

CaribouJim
05-13-2013, 08:22 PM
I thought I read sometime that part of this cost is getting a green line CTA station built at State and Cemak, which is just about four or five blocks away.

That I haven't heard. If that was the case that should be manageable.

IWB
05-13-2013, 11:29 PM
The arena itself isn't going to cost $300M.

In Chicago it could cost a hundy-mil just to buy the property.

MU/Panther
05-14-2013, 08:08 AM
I hope it works for DePaul. I can't believe they passed up to play for FREE at the United Center.

ziggysfryboy
05-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Ted Baxter: shade tree cartographer.