PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Dreams, too? Documentary star’s son heading to Furman - William Gates SI article

CaribouJim
05-07-2013, 08:40 PM
http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/05/07/hoop-dreams-william-gates-jr-furman/

Hoop Dreams, the riveting 1994 documentary that detailed the rise and eventual fades of two Chicago teens trying to make it to the NBA, is adding another chapter. William Gates Jr., the son of one of the documentary’s star characters, has signed to play at Furman next year.

If you somehow have not seen the documentary, go find it. Now. Like immediately. Here is the trailer to whet your whistle.

Gates’ father, William, was the better of the two players in the documentary, but never was the same after injuring a knee during his junior year in high school. He eventually played at Marquette, contributing well his first two seasons before his injury-plagued career pittered out, with then-head coach Kevin O’Neil giving us a strong preview of what to expect from him over the next two decades at his subsequent college stops.

Gates Jr. is not considered a high-level recruit and playing for the Paladins, who finished last in the Southern Conference last season, is far from the path to the NBA his father once embarked on, but as the documentary showed, nothing is a given in sports or in life. But we just spent last night oohing and aahing at another modestly recruited SoCon player with good bloodlines (Stephen Curry), so who knows what’s possible. At worst, here’s hoping that the son’s college career is more enjoyable (and healthier) than his dad’s, and that he uses his college opportunity as well as his father, who went on to became a pastor in a life center at Cabrini Green, his old housing project in Chicago.

Can't forget his D against Anfernee Hardaway. Open the link for a great pic and a trailer to Hoop Dreams.

sailwi
05-07-2013, 09:13 PM
How that movie wasn't even nominated for an Academy award for best documentary is still mind boggling. i still watch it about once every two years when I come across it channel surfing, just like my favorite movie Airplane it gets better with age.

IWB
05-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Airplane or Airplane II the Sequel?