PDA

View Full Version : Better matchup, Iona or BYU

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Who do you think is a better matchup for MU, and why?

MU Viking
03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
I have watched Iona 3 times on TV. They are a very solid mid-major with some high major talent at three positions (Machado, Glover and Jones). When they are hot, they would be a tough team to beat. That said, the level of athlete in the MAAC is nowhere near Marquette level. Iona is more of an attacking team, and we are a better attacking team, so on paper, this should be a better matchup for us, and better prep for Murray and potentially Mizzou.

That said, I think if BYU can get the win, I'd probably prefer to see them on Thursday. Hartsock is a banged up. Davies and Carlino are good, solid players, but ours are better. I think athletically we are way better and if we could force tempo, we could blow them out. BYU will zone, though.

Ultimately, I think we will beat either team, but I think I'd slightly prefer BYU. I think you sort of know what you get with them; the ceiling is pretty obvious. Iona has the higher ceiling and if they are on, could cause us some trouble.

TedBaxter
03-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Isn't former MU forward Brian Brunkhorst the great uncle of BYU guard Matt Carlino?

Goose85
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Kind of a tough teal for Iona / BYU.
Play the second game on Tuesday which mean game starting after 8:00 so it will likely be over well after 10.
With post game interviews and other things, they will get to Louisville well after midnight.

Wake up and get one practice in at the tournament site as alloted.
Game at 1:45 on Thursday. That is a short turnaround time which should be an advantage for MU.

I'd prefer BYU.

IWB
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Geezus H Ted, you amaze me. Yes, and I think that was a huge discussion back when MU was looking at Carlino. Great reference.

As for the practice times, it is not even a "real" practice on Wednesday, and I say that because the Wednesday practices are open to the media. So, you aren't going to get into to much detail with the press there.

Gato78
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Don't forget Carlino's other great uncle is Buck Brunkhorst, retired NBA ref, who owned the Gym bar back in the day. The family's ties with MU are very deep. I don't think they are happy with what happened with Matt and Indiana. They lived in the Phoenix area, and Matt committed to Indiana. The family moved to Bloomington for Matt's senior year of high school to get ready and then Matt decommitted. Odd situation which I believe may have been due to the stepped up recruiting in Crean's 2012 recruting class. Not sure who was responsible.

mufansince72
03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Don't forget Carlino's other great uncle is Buck Brunkhorst, retired NBA ref, who owned the Gym bar back in the day. The family's ties with MU are very deep. I don't think they are happy with what happened with Matt and Indiana. They lived in the Phoenix area, and Matt committed to Indiana. The family moved to Bloomington for Matt's senior year of high school to get ready and then Matt decommitted. Odd situation which I believe may have been due to the stepped up recruiting in Crean's 2012 recruting class. Not sure who was responsible.

I thought it was kind of weird that a kid and his family would pack up and move to Indiana while in HS so he could play HS ball closer to where his college was. Then he decommits and verbaled to UCLA if I recall. Now the kid is at BYU. As much as I don't care for Crean, this sounds more like it is on the kid and probably overzealous parents.

Gato78
03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
No shot at Crean there whatsoever. Not sure what happened. Could be overzealous parents but Carlino's dad was a coach, right? The entire family has been around big time hoops for many, many years. You would think they would have a good understanding of the world of recruiting and high D1 hoops.