PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tweet from Rothstein

Markedman
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
We obviously saw this a little last year....hard for me to see this working on a regular basis....I would be shocked if this was the starting front line but I've been wrong before

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 34s
Buzz Williams thinking power ball next year at Marquette. Jamil Wilson at SF. Chris Otule, Davante Gardner at PF/C. MASSIVE baseline.

TheSultan
05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
With Taylor coming off surgery, and the rest of the potential starters all newcomers, that very well be how he starts the season.

AlexJesswein
05-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Would probably make things easier for the PG as well. Slow down the game a bit and pound it inside.

2013UnleashTheBeast
05-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Buzz is always thinking ahead. Play the twin towers now and win, show Stone & Ellenson both can flourish on the court at the same time at MU. It doesn't have to be one or the other (or neither). It can and should be both. As long as that's still a possibility, I'm holding out hope it comes to fruition, no matter how long of a shot it truly is. It just makes too much sense not to happen.

bleedbluegold03
05-04-2013, 07:21 PM
having him play at the 3 gives Wilson a legit shot at the NBA as well

Markedman
05-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Put me down as a skeptic that this will be anything more then an occasional lineup. Starting both of your centers is very risky as they can easily get into foul trouble plus DG gets winded and has a hard time playing more then 20-25 minutes.

I do think Wilson will get most of his time at the 3 but would think Mckay/Taylor get more time at the 4 then DG.

Also we will still see some 3 guard lineups with Wilson at the 4 and DG/CO at the 5.

Phantom Warrior
05-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Rothstein also had a later tweet saying he expects McKay to get the brunt of the minutes at the 4 as he thinks Davante and Chris will be on the floor together in limited circumstances.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jameel-mckay

MU/Panther
05-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Why bet on anything Buzz does, he has pushed the correct buttons.

MU_Iceman
05-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Put me down as a skeptic that this will be anything more then an occasional lineup. Starting both of your centers is very risky as they can easily get into foul trouble plus DG gets winded and has a hard time playing more then 20-25 minutes.

I do think Wilson will get most of his time at the 3 but would think Mckay/Taylor get more time at the 4 then DG.

Also we will still see some 3 guard lineups with Wilson at the 4 and DG/CO at the 5.

Except if you play a zone, which they were very effective doing with Gardner, Chris and Jamil on the back line.

Markedman
05-05-2013, 12:45 PM
True Ice but Buzz has always had man to man as his primary defense. Those guys played together so few times that I don't think you can determine if it would be very effective or not over the long term.

Markedman
05-05-2013, 06:04 PM
and yet another from Rothstein

I'm not buying this one either.....better then Duane and JJ? Vander?
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1m
Marquette incoming freshman Deonte Burton may be the best player Buzz Williams has ever signed. 6-4 + built like a TRUCK. Impact SF.

kneelb4zerg
05-05-2013, 06:11 PM
and yet another from Rothstein

I'm not buying this one either.....better then Duane and JJ? Vander?
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 1m
Marquette incoming freshman Deonte Burton may be the best player Buzz Williams has ever signed. 6-4 + built like a TRUCK. Impact SF.

Lots of ways to define best but I could see him making that prediction come true.

Markedman
05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I hope he does...because if he is better then JJ and Wilson right now we are going to be really good.........

MUMac
05-05-2013, 08:28 PM
I hope he does...because if he is better then JJ and Wilson right now we are going to be really good.........

I have always thought that Burton is a better fit for the college game than high school. I could see this. That is not a slap on either Duane Wilson or JJ - as I think they will be awesome. I really like all 3 and what they bring. I am really excited to see them mix in next season.

IrwinFletcher
05-05-2013, 08:30 PM
From what little I have seen, it seems like Burton is going to be a guy who does a lot of grunt work (rebounding, defense, playing tough) where as JJJ and Duane seem to have more "basketball skills" (able to drive and kick, better shot, create own shots etc).

Great to see someone thinks that Burton could be the best of the bunch. Only amplifies how good this class could be.