PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Cell?

Jimmy Lemke
05-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Link: Amanda Braun has productive first day (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/panthers-open-talks-about-us-cellular-arena-879puoc-205707931.html)

MU/Panther
05-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I had on this morning 1250 WSSP and Chuck Freimund said in a nice way, this is a bad move. He said something like they only draw 2,000 per game why play at the Cell that holds 12,000. Play basketball on campus.

I would say to him have you been to the KC before? Way to many bleacher seats and the view from the chairback seats were bad if someone sits in front of you. It's not a fan friendly building.

illwauk
05-02-2013, 01:57 PM
I had on this morning 1250 WSSP and Chuck Freimund said in a nice way, this is a bad move. He said something like they only draw 2,000 per game why play at the Cell that holds 12,000. Play basketball on campus.

I would say to him have you been to the KC before? Way to many bleacher seats and the view from the chairback seats were bad if someone sits in front of you. It's not a fan friendly building.

If Freimund had bothered to do his research, he'd know we were averaging 4,000 before the move back to the KC... that's larger than the capacity of the KC.

I would also imagine more fans would be compelled to make it out to the Cell now that they've suffered through the alternative for an entire crap-tacular year... kind of like how Coca-Cola sold more than ever before after the New Coke controversy.

MU/Panther
05-02-2013, 03:13 PM
To be fair the 2011-12 season of over 4,100 per game was built up by home games with Wisconsin & Butler. That being said many schools will not come play at the KC like they would play at the Cell. I heard it could've been a done deal to host St. Louis last season if they were playing at the Cell.

illwauk
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
To be fair the 2011-12 season of over 4,100 per game was built up by home games with Wisconsin & Butler. That being said many schools will not come play at the KC like they would play at the Cell. I heard it could've been a done deal to host St. Louis last season if they were playing at the Cell.

I don't think it's really fair to say Butler and Wisconsin "inflated" Milwaukee's overall attendance when there is zero chance of getting competition like that to play them at home (at least not without getting the state legislature involved, in the case of Wisconsin) if they remain at the Klotsche. Mizzou and Cincinnati were both willing to do 2-for-1's with Milwaukee before the move (which couldn't happen due to scheduling conflicts)... teams like them won't even answer the phone for us until we're back downtown.

MU/Panther
05-04-2013, 06:56 AM
I would say this will be a done deal in the next few weeks. The ticket office has to put out in June season-ticket info for the 2013-14 season and work the phones to get the others back!

Jimmy Lemke
05-06-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm sure the fans will want them to expedite the process. If they don't, they can of course make those concerns clear to Amanda in June when we put on the first Black and Gold Club social event.

Anger Management
05-08-2013, 10:57 AM
The move to the Cell is a must! Example: When Davidson got to Milwaukee this past season and found out they were playing at the KC and not the Cell, when they first made the deal on the schedule we were still at Cell, they were super pissed!

KC is a horrible environment for everybody! Students hate it, I am sure season ticket holders hate it, and I know the players don't enjoy it that much either. Everyone played along with it at the beginning of the season but not it is just ridiculous.

Jimmy Lemke
05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm glad we still won that game.

MU/Panther
05-08-2013, 12:49 PM
The move to the Cell is a must! Example: When Davidson got to Milwaukee this past season and found out they were playing at the KC and not the Cell, when they first made the deal on the schedule we were still at Cell, they were super pissed!

Are you sure that is true? I thought the deal was done in August, long after the Panthers were playing at the KC.

DKelly28
05-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Are you sure that is true? I thought the deal was done in August, long after the Panthers were playing at the KC.

Yeah, I think MU is correct here. If I remember correctly, the deal with Davidson came together within a few weeks in mid-late August.

Anger Management
05-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Jimmy that was our only positive note from the season.

Mu/Panther: I heard from people in the AD that their coach was pissed we were playing in the KC and not Cell. So it could be or couldn't be. Just stating what I heard from higher ups.

Anger Management
05-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Maybe after Davidson saw what a dump it was they realized how bad the KC really was. Most likely they were mislead as to what the KC was.

Jimmy Lemke
05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
What matters is that the team is likely headed back where it belongs, downtown in the Cell.

MU/Panther
05-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Maybe after Davidson saw what a dump it was they realized how bad the KC really was. Most likely they were mislead as to what the KC was. Playing on ESPN at New Mexico in the Pit than playing four days later at the KC, I would be mad too.

MU/Panther
05-21-2013, 12:36 PM
This was fast. Wave con't with the Cell.

The Milwaukee Wave, now under the ownership of former Milwaukee County parks director Sue Black, have reached agreement on a new, two-year lease with the Wisconsin Center District.

Black confirmed the deal on Tuesday. She said the lease begins June 1.

The U.S. Cellular Arena has been home to the Wave for the past 10 years.

Terms of the lease were not immediately disclosed.

“It’s very exciting for me, personally, to be coming back to the U.S. Cellular Arena. We have great memories here, winning championships. The home field advantage is certainly great and the arena is considered the best playing field in the Major Indoor Soccer League,” said Keith Tozer, the Wave's longtime head coach and senior vice president of soccer operations.

illwauk
05-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I know this is somewhat off topic, but who still gives a crap about indoor soccer in 2013? Who even goes to Wave matches besides youth soccer clubs and their parents?

MU/Panther
05-21-2013, 02:11 PM
I know this is somewhat off topic, but who still gives a crap about indoor soccer in 2013? Who even goes to Wave matches besides youth soccer clubs and their parents?

Wave attendance did go up this past season. Average attendance was 5,068 for 13 games and 7,518 for two playoff games.

illwauk
05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
We're being out-drawn by friggin' indoor soccer, now?

Granted, basketball offerings in Milwaukee are plenty where soccer offerings are finite; but good gracious, if that's not a kick in the nuts...