PDA

View Full Version : Boylan Out as Bucks Coach

Goose85
05-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Jim Boylan, who started on the MU 1977 championship team, is out as Bucks coach.

Let's just hope that the Bucks don't look at Buzz for their opening, or any other college coach for that matter.

TheSultan
05-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Stan Van Gundy and Kelvin Sampson are the targets.

I like Sampson who I have always thought is a good coach...just can't trust him with a college program. Van Gundy would be a nightmare.

QuetteHoops
05-01-2013, 02:51 PM

I like Sampson who I have always thought is a good coach...just can't trust him with a college program. Van Gundy would be a nightmare.

Van Gundy is a VERY good NBA coach. It was unfortunate for him that he had the most cancerous player in the NBA get him fired.

CaribouJim
05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Van Gundy is a VERY good NBA coach. It was unfortunate for him that he had the most cancerous player in the NBA get him fired.

He kind of got a raw deal with the Heat as well, but they won it all with Riley so he couldn't have done any better I guess.

IWB
05-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Not trying to defend Sampson, but do you realize that the year after they banished him they changed the rule and his violation is no longer illegal?

TheSultan
05-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah I do. But he still knowingly broke a rule that he was expressly forbidden to break...and then lied about it.

TedBaxter
05-02-2013, 11:25 AM
The question I have outside of the coaching issue. Will the Bucks be in Milwaukee after their Bradley Center lease is out in 3 years? I heard the 3 year lease listening to a sports talk show on the way home last night and I thought it was Craig Coshun who mentioned it.

IWB
05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
If they leave it would be because the NBA forced them to leave.

People keep complaining that Herb Kohl needs to sell the team. Truth is, Herb has had the team up for sale for 10 years, but he requires that anyone buying the team keep it in Milwaukee. No one will agree to that. Michael Jordan wanted to buy the Bucks years ago, but he wanted to move them to Vegas. Kohl told him to get lost.

Whether people like Herb Kohl or hate him, if he is not the owner that team is not it Milwaukee.

Bottom line - Bucks move - Milwaukee is a minor league city.

Goose85
05-02-2013, 11:30 AM
If they leave it would be because the NBA forced them to leave.

People keep complaining that Herb Kohl needs to sell the team. Truth is, Herb has had the team up for sale for 10 years, but he requires that anyone buying the team keep it in Milwaukee. No one will agree to that. Michael Jordan wanted to buy the Bucks years ago, but he wanted to move them to Vegas. Kohl told him to get lost.

Whether people like Herb Kohl or hate him, if he is not the owner that team is not it Milwaukee.

Bottom line - Bucks move - Milwaukee is a minor league city.

Agree. He also is willing to put some of his own money from the sale toward the new facility. Hopefully that will attract a Milwaukee based buyer.

Goose85
05-02-2013, 01:44 PM
The Bucks are a tougher sell than the Brewers / Packers when it comes to attracting free agents, so Hammond has a tough job.

Basketball is a different sport as the timing is what puts cities like Milwaukee at a disadvantage. There are guys on the Bucks who hate it here, with a big reason being weather.

In baseball Milwaukee can attract free agents if they pay. Baseball is played from April to October - very nice months to live in Milwaukee. When opposing players come to Milw the weather is good and they see Milw as nice, so come free agent time you can attract them if you pay appropriately.

Football starts in July and runs through Dec / Jan, so really only the last month and a half is when the poor weather really hits Green Bay, so weather isn't as big a factor for most of the season.

Many pro players only live in the city of their team during the season, and Milwaukee is not the greatest in basketball season (October to April). For many opposing basketball players the only time they ever come to Milw is during the season when our weather is the worst, so they never really enjoy the city. Hard to convince them to live here for the season if they have other options at the same salary (bigger city or nicer climate) when all they have experienced in Milwaukee is January weather.

CaribouJim
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
The question I have outside of the coaching issue. Will the Bucks be in Milwaukee after their Bradley Center lease is out in 3 years? I heard the 3 year lease listening to a sports talk show on the way home last night and I thought it was Craig Coshun who mentioned it.

With the Kings not going to Seattle I was thinking that the Bucks would be the next target. Maybe they'll come up with an offer Herb can't refuse. I know the ex-owner of the Grizzlies had his eye on Bucks with intent to move them.

Markedman
05-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Kohl has said many times he won't sell the team to anyone who wants to move it. Obviously a new arena is needed and it sounds like they are confident they can get it done.

2013UnleashTheBeast
05-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Kohl has said many times he won't sell the team to anyone who wants to move it. Obviously a new arena is needed and it sounds like they are confident they can get it done.

That would have to help recruiting if it came to fruition.