PDA

View Full Version : To the surprise of no one, Duke gets off.

TheSultan
04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/duke-lance-thomas-jewelry-ncaa-investigation

"The NCAA has finished its inquiry into a 2009 jewelry purchase totaling nearly $100,000 by former Duke basketball player Lance Thomas and found no wrongdoing. There will be no disciplinary action against the school."

Goose85
04-30-2013, 02:23 PM
What a joke.

Something tells me if it happened at any other school there would be ramifications.

Hamostradamus
04-30-2013, 02:30 PM
If the NCAA is still mad at Duke though, they may put Cleveland State on probation.

Markedman
04-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Hard to get evidence if Thomas and the jeweler won't talk....I'm sure he is guilty of something but not sure they can punish Duke without more proof.

MayorBeluga
04-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Only way this ever turns into something is if an enterprising reporter from another school dug into it. Any UNC or NC State grads in sports reporting want to make a name for himself?

Hamostradamus
04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Hard to get evidence if Thomas and the jeweler won't talk....I'm sure he is guilty of something but not sure they can punish Duke without more proof.

The civil complaint is, depending on the state, a sworn or verified statement of events. If I am the NCAA invesigator, I would present it to Duke, represent that I am taking it as such and am requiuring a response.

Goose85
04-30-2013, 03:09 PM
So I guess if nobody is willing to talk to the NCAA then the matter just goes away. I wonder if some coaches will now make that clear with certain high profile recruits.

Unless of course you are Miami, where the NCAA said if there was no cooperation they would make the assumption that the allegations were true.

warriorfan4life
04-30-2013, 03:11 PM
So I guess if nobody is willing to talk to the NCAA then the matter just goes away. I wonder if some coaches will now make that clear with certain high profile recruits.

Unless of course you are Miami, where the NCAA said if there was no cooperation they would make the assumption that the allegations were true.

Or you are Derrick Rose and Memphis.

Goose85
04-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Or you are Derrick Rose and Memphis.

The Derrick Rose case still bothers me. Now don't get me wrong, Memphis is shady and for that reason they may have ultimately gotten what they deserved.

So the NCAA investigates Derrick Rose and clears him to play. What is the coach supposed to do, not let the kid play?

Now let's say Coach Cal, like Coach K in the Thomas case, has no idea anything was done that was an NCAA violation. In that case he and Memphis did nothing wrong.

Markedman
04-30-2013, 03:39 PM
If Thomas was still at Duke the NCAA could have forced him to talk but they have no power over him now

IWB
04-30-2013, 03:57 PM
If Thomas was still at Duke the NCAA could have forced him to talk but they have no power over him now

Mark - that is exactly the point. In the case of the Miami booster they were dealing with former players. The NCAA stated, and I quote, "Refusal to speak to investigators will be treated as an admission of guilt."

So why is that the case with Miami and not Duke?

MayorBeluga
04-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Mark - that is exactly the point. In the case of the Miami booster they were dealing with former players. The NCAA stated, and I quote, "Refusal to speak to investigators will be treated as an admission of guilt."

Because one is Miami and one is Duke. Next question.

Markedman
04-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Yeah I guess I don't know why they would have treated the 2 cases differently. One of the national guys should ask the NCAA that question....

ziggysfryboy
04-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Sic Bilas on this. If he'd go digging at the alma mater.